MAYNARD FERGUSON , one less BIG HORN PLAYER

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 04:11 pm
i just found out that Maynard Ferguon died yesterday (Aug 23). I always like the big horn sounds that he could achieve. I wsnt always a fan of his "extra jazz" sound. However, if he and Diz,Miles, and Pete need to jam, Maynard can keep it on time. Sorry to see ya go . Ive got many of his 70's UK and Canadian albums, (but dont have a record player anymore)

The last of the "Big Horn Sound" , Chuck Mangione, better stay healthy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 962 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 04:51 pm
Ooh, I hadn't heard about that. Thanx for posting it, Farmer. Yes, I liked Ferguson's 'big' sound. I heard him perform at Birdland in NYC back in the 1960s. That room was really too small for his volume. But he blew us all away, so to speak. RIP, Maynard.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 04:55 pm
It's unfortunate one ties him in with Sylvester Stallone.

He went through life with the name Maynard, and if that wasn't bad enough, he helped elevate Stallone to a place he didn't belong.

Because of that.... I shed no tears.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 05:37 pm
His high note trick turned me off. Sorry.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 05:53 pm
detano inipo wrote:
His high note trick turned me off. Sorry.

Stan Kenton liked it ok.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 03:55 am
go beyond some of the schlocky music hed written, there was a lot of great jazz came from this guy.
If you dont like the "octave tricks" I guess you dont like Chuck Mangione either?

The trumpet has been so downplayed in jazz these daya, actually JAZZ has been downplayed. There are very few of the solid jazz stations on radio anymore, and the only way I can get jazz background is to run a cale tv wire into my workshop/studio and listen to the cable tv music fare,Ours has a "Mellow jazz" (which is that new age crap), Jazz standards,(which is a lot of the good stuff freom the 50's 60' and 70')
and a "cool jazz" ( the playlist is not that which I consider "cool") Then they have a "novelty jazz( contains music by Bob James Keith Jarrett (I know their F**ed in the head) and Jacques Loiussier. etc.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 03:57 am
Quote:
It's unfortunate one ties him in with Sylvester Stallone.

Well, Rocky wouldnt be Rocky without the theme song. Imagine if they gave the theme song assignment to Paul Williams.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 05:50 am
Keith Jarrett's not so bad.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 06:10 am
MA, I guess my point was lost in my dumb narrative style but I agree re: Keith Jarrett. To me hes the consumate jazz pianist , so to stick him in a "Jazz novelties" classification, its no sense. I dont know whether my home cable is part of a larger network hat programs the music in some central location of Minnesota or what. Thys dont get it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 06:37 am
Saw that, farmerman. My husband never cared for Maynard, but he always respected his ability. Guess the style is something that one must acclimate themselves to. Never heard of Keith Jarrett, but do like Chuck Mangione. Know someone who knows him personally.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 09:05 am
Among the many good jazz trumpet players I remember some for their simple classic style.
Bix Beiderbecke, Art Farmer, Chet Baker Buck Clayton, Roy Eldridge..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 09:13 am
Never cared for Beiderbcke, too much reminded me of the Bad sound equipment of the 30's. I like Claytons horn with Count Basie. Ive rrecorded a number of Kenton and Basie recordings to CD and once in a while get in a mood for some classics. Ive especially liked the BAsie salute to "The Kansas City Jazz".

Amazing no ones brought up the "Bird"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 09:23 am
Ah, Lullaby of Birdland. I know him, farmer. Didn't George Shering do that one?
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 10:53 am
The only trumpeter I remember well was Art Farmer, who also played some sort of flugelhorn. He played in a nightclub and right in front of him was a whole table with Japanese businessmen who talked throughout his playing.
He was furious and we let him know that we were annoyed as well.
I was amazed at Ray Nance, who played the violin for Duke Ellington. He then surprised us all by playing the trumpet solo for the next piece. That was in Hannover a long time ago, all the musicians mingled for half an hour and signed programs for us lucky fans.
Decades later I thanked the Duke on the street in Winnipeg, and he remembered that very special and strange evening.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 11:07 am
Charlie Parker didn't play trumpet. That's why "the Bird" hasn't been mentioned, Farmer.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 11:13 am
No one has mentioned Clifford Brown.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 03:17 pm
wow. I just learned that Bird played the sax. Never heard anything played by him except that people talked him up with the brass.
Ya learn something new. I guess my sense for jazz music is very focused . Ill have to watch it when Im talkin out my ass.

Mangione and gillespie played flugelhorns too. I was in the audience at Phila Academy when Mangione introduced the "LAnd of MAke believe" and the "Children of Sanchez" That was a piece that went in the "Land of Makebelieve Album "
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:33 pm
Yeah, Bird's primary axe was the alto.
0 Replies