A Garden for Morticia Adams

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 08:10 pm
I'm doing a garden for a house that looks like a big gray shoebox with portholes (hey, I'm the gardener, not the architect) and I need to come up with dramatic tulip combinations. What do you think of Black Parrot with Golden Artist Parrot? My brain hurts from thinking about gardens too much, so please give me your suggestions for tulip and/or bulb combinations that are on the dramatic side and not too sweet or traditional. These people want a garden Morticia Adams or Count Dracula might feel at home in.

I should mention that Golden Artist actually has more maroon tones than the pinks you see in this picture, but it was the best I could find on the net.

http://www.keywesteditions.co.uk/images/images_320/DerekHarris_Tulip%20Golden%20Artist.jpg
http://www.angliangardener.co.uk/Plants/8845.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,676 • Replies: 34
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 08:15 pm
Are you planting anything else to go with them?
Or are you relying on tulip combinations only?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 08:17 pm
Im searching for the name, but these are great :

http://www.etc.cmu.edu/projects/atl/images/tulips/tulips.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 08:21 pm
Carnival de Nice
http://www.bloomingbulb.com/XQ/ASP/Category.163/bulbs.Tulips%20-%20Late-Flowering%20/parent.2409/QX/images/clientImages/TCarnavaldenice70100.jpg

+

Blue Heron

http://www.bloomingbulb.com/XQ/ASP/Category.163/bulbs.Tulips%20-%20Late-Flowering%20/parent.2409/QX/images/clientImages/Tulip-Blue-Heron.jpg

and
Queen of the Night

http://www.bloomingbulb.com/XQ/ASP/Category.163/bulbs.Tulips%20-%20Late-Flowering%20/parent.2409/QX/images/clientImages/Tqueennight70100.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 08:22 pm
The first ones I posted are called Hollywood
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 08:27 pm
I despise tulips. They're short-lived and the foliage afterwards is unsightly.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 08:39 pm
My thoughts exactly, Gus, and the same goes for those gosh darn bearded iris.

For this place, put in some live oak, well draped with Spanish moss. Sprinkle the grounds with lots of ferns, bladderwort, and a few largish flytraps.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 08:44 pm
If I were to think of Morticia in terms of tulips/bulbs/spring plantings, I probably wouldn't go for a lot of colour.

Maybe all white, with some plants with dark reddish foliage to set it off during the day. Ferns, definitely.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 08:45 pm
Tulips are short-timers, and being from LA, mostly, I mostly don't get them, or didn't, until I moved north, when I still didn't get it, but watched others fulminating over them. Hint, joy at change of seasons.

OK, given that I go for tulips, I agree with greenwitch's choices. Your's are too damned happycolored, wolfie.

There are black or blackish tulips, can work in some situations, not my own interest. But maybe black tulips with dark purple somethings... and a bit of lime colored somethings, with the odd one or two corals.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 08:53 pm
Where I've lived, bearded iris can be wonderful, if you nab the snails. Don't mind them.

Still like GW's original picks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 08:54 pm
Those dark purple black tulips look good for about forty seconds in certain light.

Oh, well, I'm biased.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 09:04 pm
I had to go lock up the barns - I didn't expect so much action on this thread so fast. Let me go back and check out the gardening wisdom here...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 09:06 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Are you planting anything else to go with them?
Or are you relying on tulip combinations only?

I would consider other bulbs to go with them, the existing garden will fill in as they poop out. I think you have a picture of Emperor Tulips, a tulip that I think is very elegant.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 09:08 pm
happy colored. Laughing

Actually, I should have worded my suggestion better.

Take some hollywoods, and spot them in a large patch of black tulips.
Maybe throw in a few of the Blue Heron.

I dont mean having the hollywood as the main color.

I would lean to the basic , boring black tulip, and throw in a handfull of the exotic looking , off colored ones.

but, im also really tired.
so i am not thinking straight.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 09:10 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

Carnival de Nice
Blue Heron
Queen of the Night

I was playing around with Queen of the Night, and I've used it with a creamy satin in the past. Interesting combo you've come up with SW
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 09:13 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I despise tulips. They're short-lived and the foliage afterwards is unsightly.

I'm planning to surround them with huge hostas, so their unsightly dying leaves will be well camouflaged.

As to short-lived - yup, often true - I tell people I treat them as annuals.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 09:16 pm
roger wrote:

For this place, put in some live oak, well draped with Spanish moss. Sprinkle the grounds with lots of ferns, bladderwort, and a few largish flytraps.

I'm in a cold zone 5, Roger. Spanish moss hasn't grown here since the Stegosaurus roamed the earth.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 09:18 pm
ehBeth wrote:
If I were to think of Morticia in terms of tulips/bulbs/spring plantings, I probably wouldn't go for a lot of colour.

Maybe all white, with some plants with dark reddish foliage to set it off during the day. Ferns, definitely.

Love ferns, but it's full hot sun for at least 6 hours. Reddish foliage could be added with the use of coral bells (Heuchera).
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 09:21 pm
ossobuco wrote:

There are black or blackish tulips, can work in some situations, not my own interest. But maybe black tulips with dark purple somethings... and a bit of lime colored somethings, with the odd one or two corals.

I was thinking along the same lines Osso. There are some very green/lime tulips with splashes of red that might work. I love the corals with blacks, or in a softer garden with pale lavenders.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 09:25 pm
Okay, then, Stegosaurus. This is going to call for a lot of ferns, and maybe a fog generator.
0 Replies