TOTALLY FACTUAL NUT PRUNING ACCIDENT - HORRENDOUS! (Photo)

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 10:06 am
Today, I have been pruning my Hazelnut tree. It all started well enough, and before too long I was looking at a nicely trimmed tree and a large pile of small branches and trimmings on the lawn.
The tree had become somewhat overgrown over the past couple of years, and although it produces loads of hazelnuts, I never get to eat any as our local squirrel mafia manage to strip the entire crop in one day, when the nuts have achieved optimum size and ripeness.
I discover this act of theft each year when I look out of the kitchen window and wonder for a split second, what a bloody great pile of empty nutshells are doing on my lawn.
So, in an effort to thwart the little buggers next year, I decided to cut it right back so that the crop will be minimal, with the added bonus that the sun will no longer be blocked from the adjacent patio.
It is "green hopper" day tomorrow, when a gang of rather seedy looking working class men come along and take the large green bins of garden cuttings, in order to cart it off somewhere so that it can be shredded and eventually be made into compost. It was therefore imperative that I put all these tree parts into the bin before this evening, to avoid me having the inconvenience of taking it all to the dump myself.

So, I started to load the bin with trimmings, only to find that the larger branches needed chopping in order to fit them in.
Having a pair of pruners handy, I set about cutting off the long straggly bits and was doing well until I reached the point where the main branch was just a bit too thick for an easy cut. Rather than walk all the way to the shed to get the long handled loppers, I decided to just go for it with the pruners, as I only had a couple of thick bits to get through.
I grasped the pruners firmly with my left hand, held the branch with the other and squeezed the handles, causing the blade to cut into the wood. Not making much progress, I increased my grip to maximum and started swivelling the blade round the circumference of the bark, making a depp groove all the way round.

At this point, squeezing like buggery, the wood suddenly gave way, causing the handles of the pruner to snap shut on the end of my.....<ahem>.....willy.

STOP LAUGHING AT THE BACK THERE!! THIS IS SERIOUS!

After I had stopped screaming, I waddled my way gingerly to the bathroom, in order to inspect the damage.
Now....you know the sort of pain that is experienced when one nips one's finger in a door, enough to gewt a blood blister? Well, multiply this pain by at least five, and this is what it was like. I was expecting to remove my shorts and find a pulped mess of blood and various virile tissue.
The said shorts were removed, causing more yelping, and after counting to ten, I gathered enough courage to open my eyes, wipe away the tears and have a good look.
There was no visible damage as such, although there now seems to be an extra nobbly bit on the left hand side, but at a glance I could tell that my willy was angry with me.

It had been in a bit of a bad mood all morning, if the truth be told, as it knew that being the fourth Tuesday of the month, my copy of Kitchen Monthly was due to be delivered, but I refrained from checking the post as I was determined to get on with the gardening. As a consequence, it sulked, so when the handle slamming occured, willy was uncharacteristically dormant......well....asleep actually, as I was aware of a faint snoring sound coming from the upper part of my long johns.
There it was one minute, fast akip and snug, then....BANG....a bloody great pair of handles trying to rip it's head off. It was therefore quite understandable that he was mad.

In order to avoid a repeat accident, I went into the attic and retrieved my old cricket "box", used to deflect hard cricket balls from their soft, attractive human relatives. I strapped it in place, pulled up my shorts and went to answer the knock on the door.
Mrs Wilson, from the local Women's Institute, seemed to want to sell me some jam but just looked at my shorts, let out a faint whimper and walked away hurriedly.
Ten minutes later I received a call from her area manager of the WI, telling me that they were presently making a male version of the infamous nudie calendar, and would I like to be Mr December.
I declined, as no money was on offer.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g112/lord_ellpus/PICT7420.jpg
Nicely pruned Nut Tree.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g112/lord_ellpus/PICT7422.jpg

Horrendous implement. Please note the miniscule gap between handles.

Now....two things I have learnt from this experience, as follows:-

1. Pruning should always be performed whilst wearing a protective box.

2. A man fiddles with his willy (I prefer to call it stocktaking, or pocket billiards) on average 11.2 times per hour.
I calculated this after realising that I have yelped due to involuntary stocktaking, 56 times over the past five hours since the accident.

Anyone else have a silly accident experience to share?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,191 • Replies: 47
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 10:13 am
Quote:
my copy of Kitchen Monthly was due to be delivered, but I refrained from checking the post

This proves the lie of your thread title.

Kitchen Monthly doesn't deliver a volume in August.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 10:23 am
Ellpus! I hope you're happy that you are responsible for me nearly passing out cold from the unfortunate combination of laughter and the spasmodic coughing that laughter causes just now (evidently I have temporary asthma, woo-hoo)!

[size=7]Welcome back, missed ya![/size]
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 10:29 am
Sorry Soz, maybe I should have put a health warning in the title.

Drew, I am a gold standard subscriber, owing to the frequent orders I place. I receive a copy every month, don't you?
Speaking of which, I have just perused said magazine in order to cheer up Percy. Not a flicker so far.

Nobbly bit seems to be subsiding.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 10:38 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Oh, GOD!!!

The front of the room was laughing too, Lord.

Welcome back!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 10:39 am
Welcome back!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 10:40 am
Nutcracker. Sweet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 10:41 am
Weeps, he's BAAAAAACK!!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 10:58 am
Oh, LordE! You're finally BACK!!!

Here, sit down gently on this soft cushion while I bring you a nice, cold drink.

Here you go.

First, you must give me a moment to get over your story....BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! <splutter> HAHAHAHAHAROTFLMAOHAHAHA! Hahahahaha! haha.....Okay, I think I'm <snort> alright now. Just one more kleenex. There, that's better.

You really must promise us not to go away for so long again. We've missed you something awful.

>gives Ellpus a big hug and a kiss, carefully avoiding damaged parts<
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 10:58 am
I'm back?

Nobody told me!

Where did I go? I have a vague recollection of garlic.....
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 11:26 am
ROTFLMFAO~~~~~~~~~OMG!!! I haven't laughed that hard in awhile!

Snort! Snort!

Poor Winkie.......its been accosted by limb loppers....lol
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 11:40 am
I'm surprised and a trifle saddened that people here seem to find amusement from my suffering. I came onto A2K for sympathy and understanding. If this was a clematis accident, do you think for one minute that I would be laughing about it?

I was going to post a photo of the injury, but I have lost all confidence now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 11:56 am
Clem' a tis?

Photo in order, I think.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 12:02 pm
I am in fact, waiting for approval from the mods re. the photo.

I submitted it to a mod who wishes to remain anonymous....all I can say is that his/her username rhymes with vespa.
He/she said that he/she will try to put the photo through photoshop, in order to bring it down to an appropriate size, so that one doesn't need a widescreen to view it properly.
Apparently, someone that he/she knows called Regional Pillbox is somewhat envious.
Final approval is going to be made by Craving a Kier, so I am given to understand.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 12:06 pm
SNORT!!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 12:13 pm
Eva wrote:
Oh, LordE! You're finally BACK!!!

Here, sit down gently on this soft cushion while I bring you a nice, cold drink.

I think he'd prefer to sit down on the cold drink while you bring him something soft.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Laughing
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 12:13 pm
Laughing

Welcome back!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 12:30 pm
Hooray! It's so nice to see thread titles ending in things like "HORRENDOUS!" and "MARVELLOUS!" again. All's right with the a2k!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 01:02 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
I am in fact, waiting for approval from the mods re. the photo.

I submitted it to a mod who wishes to remain anonymous....all I can say is that his/her username rhymes with vespa.
He/she said that he/she will try to put the photo through photoshop, in order to bring it down to an appropriate size, so that one doesn't need a widescreen to view it properly.
Apparently, someone that he/she knows called Regional Pillbox is somewhat envious.
Final approval is going to be made by Craving a Kier, so I am given to understand.

I've gotten the photo approved. It's still pretty large. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Dude76/spatula.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 01:12 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
I was going to post a photo of the injury, but I have lost all confidence now.

C'mon, don't be a wuss!

Great story......and welcome back buddy!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » TOTALLY FACTUAL NUT PRUNING ACCIDENT - HORRENDOUS! (Photo)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 12:38:51