Fragrant indoor plants

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:05 pm
What indoor flowering plants have a really good, pretty strong smell?

Or, even if they are not exactly considered INDOOR.. what plants could do well in an enclosed window box that gets direct evening sun, and stays pretty warm all day?

It is a window box that stands out from the building about 1 1/2 feet. It is facing west, so it starts to get direct sun at about 3? maybe 4? and that lasts about 3 hours.

I was thinking.. jasmine? Or hyacinth?? ( spell check doesnt recognize that slaughtered word... im not sure how to spell it?? )
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,044 • Replies: 15
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:32 pm
Hyacinth and jasmine are correctly spelled. Smile

Paper white narcissus have quite a strong, sweet aroma, and they are very easy to grow, you force them from bulbs during the wintertime. I don't know if they are currently available but you should start to see them around the holidays.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:37 pm
Force meaning freeze them for a week in a bag of sand, then plant?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:48 pm
Hyacinth and paperwhites are forced bulbs, you get great smelling flowers for a week or more, but it takes work to get them to rebloom (if you want to). Jasmine is a great idea for that window, but they are finicky plants. You'll need to keep it evenly watered (not too wet, not too dry) and mist the leaves occasionally. Mostly, people buy cut flowers for their scent and grow other plants inside (I think). Oh! Gardenia is another plant that would do well there, but needs care like the jasmine would.

So, the window faces west, then?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 03:01 pm
Yes.
but it has a glass top and sides.

in fact.. I think even the bottom is glass...

so it is strong indirect light all day.
Direct light being evening only.

I have thought about getting cut flowers, but that would be expencive in the long run.

I dont want to use chemicals either to try to mask the 'old apartment' smell, and I am sure over time, I will get used to it.
But it would be nice to have the place smell fresh with out the fresh chemical smell too.. ya know?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 03:05 pm
http://www.schneertz.com/schneertz/race1205/windowbox.jpg

This is what I have
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 03:49 pm
Have you considered a rosemary tree? They have a really fresh clean scent (and while I've never managed to keep one alive apparently it is possible for someone with green thumbs). It's just a rosemary plant trimmed into a mini Xmas tree shape and you use the trimmings for cooking.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 05:56 pm
If you are willing to baby the plant, I'd buy a gardenia or jasmine plant (given what you have there. Start some bulbs, too. You could buy dried bay leaf, lavender, rosemary, etc and hang saches (spelling?) around the house, or even sprinkle them on the carpets if you have any. As you walk the carpets, the herbs will be crushed and become aromatic. You can add lavender (or any other smelly thang) into distilled water with a splash of strong vodka and spritz the whole house periodically............
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 05:59 pm
<I think a rosemary would not be very happy in that winow, but maybe in TX it would be ok>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 06:00 pm
I'd take advantage of a space like that to grow some dual purpose herbs - scent and cooking.

I'd be cautious about strongly-smelling flowers with a young child in the house, as I have an over-developed fear of setting off allergies.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 06:02 pm
I'd definitely try growing some herbs in there..... and maybe even rosemary would work, but up here it sort of requires a southern exposure (or at least a strong west exposure). I see trees to the north in shewolf's pic (not a problem), are there other trees near the house?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 06:03 pm
fragrant geraniums are ok but require periodic attention so they dnt get too leggy.
Burn a lavendar candle.
We tried rosemary indoors, it died real good!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 06:56 pm
Well, shewolf is way down south......

You can grow all osrts of **** I don't evn know about, shewolf.... oleander?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 07:12 pm
pot?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 07:36 pm
How about a miniature orange, lemon or lime tree? Kumquat is nice too. They have a nice fragrance and the leaves are beautiful in vase as well.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00013IQIY.01-A1H3DK6S6YCQNW._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1141303043_.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 07:46 pm
That picture isnt the actual window.

But the one in the apt looks just like that one.

I have a pretty green thumb, so a bulb might work just fine for me.

I will be starting some herbs as well as I do like to cook.

So far, Jillian doest have any allergies, wich is wierd because we live in Austin, on of the highest rated cities for allergies.

I dont know if I will have enough room for a small tree though.
I think my tallest shelf is 2 feet?
Now on the very top shelf, I could get possibly fit one. I think that has a clearance of 3 1/2 feet.

I agree that rosemary wouldnt do well in that window.
It takes about 6+ hours of straight sun, and that window wont give that.
It wont even give strong enough indirect light to compensate.

Die really well? ohhhhh yeah it would. Laughing
0 Replies