Male or Female -- what is your guess???

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:23 pm
Now that I've got your attention...

...there are many people posting in A2K whose screen name and/or avatar give absolutely no clue as to gender.

Fine with me. I think we put too much emphasis on gender in any case.

BUT...when replying to posts from people whom we do not know as male or female -- what is the proper way to deal with pronouns?

Do we go with male pronouns unless corrected? Do we go with female pronouns unless corrected? Do we use hokey stuff like he/she, her/him? Do we use the non-specific pronoun "it?"

What say you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,876 • Replies: 21
No top replies

husker

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:31 pm
this is american english! ------ "hey you" Wink
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:33 pm
It.
"It" is a fair and nuetral word, which properly conceals the persons identity, as intended.

They.
The plural of "it" may be used when you suspect "it" may actually be a group of Homeland Security officers or a pod of web-enabled Orca's. This word also usefully conceals ones numbers, as "they" may actually indicate a single individual. An excellent diversionally strategy, similar to stating "we neither admit nor deny that we are a multinational corporation profiling your internet usage".

----------
The great thing about the internet is that no one can tell you're actually a cat.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:50 pm
That "we" sounds a little regal, dontcha' think?

I generally go with the screen name and forget the pronoun.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 02:02 pm
btw i think it can now be revealed that Roger is ambidextrous so there is no need to be vague in reference.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 03:47 pm
Are we discussing people? I thought we discussed issues? Issues don't have gender.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 03:54 pm
I think the question is what pronoun to use when referring to another poster when we're not sure of the gender. I get around this by using the user name...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 03:59 pm
Too bad you can't just point and say "That person over their of ambiguous sexual identity." (But since that person seems to be me a lot of the time, I guess it's just as well.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 04:01 pm
Yeah, dys, and at some colleges, female students can be required to show their thesis to the professor, on demand.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 06:52 pm
"Hey you." works for me. c.i.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 07:00 pm
To the people who suggest using the screen name instead of a pronoun, please listen to this.

When Catkin said that Catkin was unable to obtain the documents, Catkin was not particularly clear as to why Catkin could not obtain them. Also, Catkin indicated that Catkin would not be willing to resort to legal means to obtain them because Catkin had a previous bad experience with lawyers -- so Catkin's statement that Catkin had done everything in Catkin's power to obtain them is incorrect.

Don't you folks think using a personal pronoun would make that easier to read?

There is a real problem here. What convention should we use when we do not know the gender of a person to whom we are addressing a reply.

Or something like that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 07:45 pm
"He" is always acceptable in the English language. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 07:52 pm
my dirty little secret? i refer to those of the ambiguous gender (and that does NOT include peppermintpatiodawg) as errrrrrr
s h i t .

it was something i came up with when i was typing papers for, well never mind for ... she/he/it became cumbersome and danged annoying, so i just typed s h i t, and then did one of those word replacement things on the word processor.

sooooooo, i see avatarX - don't know what to refer to the attached human as? call 'em she/he/it.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 08:54 pm
:wink: Dang, that's so simple
They must have really liked that! :-D
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:28 pm
It's s/h/e/it. Wink
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:40 pm
I always do the he/she thing when I don't know.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:48 pm
Beth, didn't you ever sit bolt upright just before going to sleep thinking you had maybe forgotten to do that word replacement?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 11:57 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
"He" is always acceptable in the English language. Wink c.i.

Smegging well ISN'T!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 12:00 am
Er - I don't find it a problem - I don't quite know what I do, but it seems to work fine.

Probably use a combination of the name, s/he, and they/their.

Nobody's ire seems to have been aroused yet, and if it is, I will deal the ire when and/or if they announce it.

See?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 06:12 am
Shocked
roger!
i never did worry about it.
now i am worrying.

Shocked

of course it works really well these days. all the young people at work are referring to each other as being 'the ****'. i was just ahead of the wave.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Male or Female -- what is your guess???
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 05:07:32