Crossword club August,puzzle 4

Wjew

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 09:30 pm
Clue is 4down Rear, answer is 4 letters long R??R.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,392 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 11:23 pm
Hi Wjew

I received my first monthly magazine from your club yesterday. I feel they've made a typo. Clue should have been "back" and than you would get "rear" which I submit is the correct word. I have searched high and low to fill "r??r" but cannot find a word to fitt the bill.

Would it be worth ringing someone from the club and ask wether or not the gremlins got into their works?
0 Replies

Wjew

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 01:14 am
It may be worth a phone call.
Dutchy wrote:
Hi Wjew

I received my first monthly magazine from your club yesterday. I feel they've made a typo. Clue should have been "back" and than you would get "rear" which I submit is the correct word. I have searched high and low to fill "r??r" but cannot find a word to fitt the bill.

Would it be worth ringing someone from the club and ask wether or not the gremlins got into their works?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 01:50 am
Hi Wjew

You didn't add anything to my message!
Did I miss anything?
0 Replies

Wjew

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 02:23 am
Dutchy wrote:
Hi Wjew

You didn't add anything to my message!
Did I miss anything?

MY reply was it may be an idea to ring and ask if it is an error.I am new at this site and still trying to work it out (old age),
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 03:50 am
Hi Wjew

For your information I have sent them an e-mail today, asking if it was a typo. Waiting for a reply, will post it here, when I get it.

In the meantime, perhaps you can help me. I'm stuck on Colloquial for Lord, I have "L?R" Any ideas?
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 08:51 am
Not up on that puzzle, Dutch, but in all the best Victorian bodice-rippers and melodramas they are always saying "Lor! Luv-a-duck!", so maybe LOR is what you are after?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 08:54 am
Thanks for the tip Lezzles but I have since located the word I am after' it is "LAR".

I have just joined this club, it costs $63.00 per year, and you get a monthly magazine with 5 puzzles in it. They also offer some very nice rewards for each puzzle.

Have a look at www.crosswordclub.com.au. There is provision to fill in a form and they send you 3 copies of their latest magazine for perusal, free of charge. I liked them and subsequently joined.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 09:19 am
Maybe it's because it is late at night and I am being particularly dull witted, but when I clicked on that site it came up as Quinn solutions????
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 09:34 am
Hi Lezzles

Sorry about that address, I get the same result as you get, yet this is the address printed in their current Newsletter.??

Never fear, I found the original address where I joined, here it is: http://www.crosswordclub.com.au/recentPrizes.html

Put that in your browser and you'll be right.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 07:55 pm
Hwej

As I suspected the clue and answer were reversed!!

Here is the answer I received to my query:

Hi

Nice to hear from you. No you are quite right.

The compiler has slipped in a "twister" by giving the answer as the clue!!!!!!

Regards
0 Replies

Wjew

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 09:06 pm
Dutchy wrote:
Hi Wjew

For your information I have sent them an e-mail today, asking if it was a typo. Waiting for a reply, will post it here, when I get it.

In the meantime, perhaps you can help me. I'm stuck on Colloquial for Lord, I have "L?R" Any ideas?

Thanks for your help...a misprint!!! LoR is my answer to your question
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 09:42 pm
Have you got a reference for the word lor?
0 Replies

Cafta

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 02:26 am
Dutchy, Cafta here, noticed you're here helping everyone out again! If you've received this month's newsletter from the crossword club then you'll know that Mensa was the correct answer to my previous query. Thanks again for your help. Good to know about the mixup in this month's crossword so that I won't waste too much time being baffled! Hope you enjoy the club!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 06:56 am
Hi Cafta
Mensa is in the black book, really a tricky one, that's for sure, had many people stumped I see.
You will have noticed I joined your club and must say I enjoyed the puzzles.
As you will see in my earlier posting here I am looking for the coloquail word for Lord, I like to think it is LAR but can't find a reference for it. What is your solution for this one?

Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:44 am
Dutch!

I was hunting down LAR and LOR as I couldn't find reference to either in my dictionaries. You might like to check this one out - my gut feeling may have been closer to the mark than I thought -

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-lor1.htm
0 Replies

Cafta

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 10:51 am
Dear Dutchy and others, must admit I was going for LOR as it just sounded right. What was your reasoning for LAR? Regards Cafta
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 04:11 am
Hi Cafta & Lezzles

Today I visited the Port Lincoln Library as I felt uneasy about my choice of "LAR". Much to my surprise I found the colloquial for Lord in the 2 volume Oxford Dictionary, and your gut feeling was right Lezzles, the word they gave was "LOR".

Cafta I originally settled on "LAR" because in many dictonaries that word is given as an alternative for Lord.

Thank you both for your input. Now that is of my mind and can get on with the fishing. Smile
0 Replies

podsplay

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 08:15 pm
abbreviation for 'lord
I think the answer should be 'lor'. I am having the same problem with the clue 'rear needing to fit r??r hope it is a typo. Can you help with the abbreviation of 'lumber it is 'l?r'
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:39 pm
Hi podsplay

I have "lbr"

Re 'rear' it is indeed a typo, acknowledged by secretary.
0 Replies