Colbert, Wikipedia, elephants' penises and the Uncyclopedia

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:03 pm
A new trivia item for the log of web history.

On 1 August, Stephen Colbert did a shtick on Wikipedia in his Word of the Day segment. By calling on his viewers to go to Wikipedia and insert an entry there, saying that the elephant population has tripled in the last six months ("take that, Al Gore"), he created havoc on the Wikipedia's Elephant page, which was promptly put under protection, provoking a torrential discussion among editors. Things did not get better / only got better when in a follow-up broadcast, a (fake) angry viewer called in to Colbert's show to share his own factoid about the size of the erect elephant's penis. All and any resulting incursions were warded off by the Wikipedia editors, but happily found a home in the hilarious Uncyclopedia Elephant page.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,238 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:10 pm
I'm feeling protective of Wikipedia in that the information I've looked up, mostly about art and architecture yadayada has been terrific. I suppose it's inevitable that some loons will test the waters, but I'd like to spray them with .... er, tar. That is, if wikipedia doesn't ward them off.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 06:14 pm
But maybe I'm misunderstanding the nature and possible elegance of wikipedia, that it has a plasticity to deal with all this. I'll be quiet now and listen.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 08:14 pm
Noddy! Did you do that, nimh?

I heart Steven Colbert.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 08:25 pm
I heart Steven Colbert too.

I saw that show and assumed things would become messy over at Wikipedia.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 08:27 pm
Oh dear.

Speaking of which, I am unsure re deer's penii.

This is a bookmark, really.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 08:27 pm
Oh dear.

Speaking of which, I am unsure re deer's penii.

This is a bookmark, really.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 09:10 pm
Ok, got the link, love him too.

but I also love Gregory Colbert, for many reasons, most apropo being here -

http://www.ashesandsnow.org/media/images/common/vision-gcbio.jpg
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 08:22 am
I love Colbert, I think he only meant it as a joke. I love how he satirizes (spelling?) modern politics by pretending to act like them and believe what they believe. It's genious!

I think this was a lot like the episode where he told his viewers to vote for a bridge in I think Hungary or Turkey to be named after him instead of Chuck Norris. Just out of curiosity I went to the website to see if it was for real and it wasn't even accessible, so maybe this was the same type of thing that just got out of hand.

Sorry, I've been multitasking, I hope that made sense! haha
0 Replies