Cell Phone Got Wet

cjhsa

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:27 am
And now it won't connect to the network. It turns on, but no signal.

Did we fry a chip or something?

It's a Sprint phone.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,535 • Replies: 9
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 08:44 am
Wet and electronics rarely combine well. Odds are the phone is beyond practical repair if it was on when it got wet or if it was turned on while it was wet. Most repair centers will not even work on a phone determined to be faulty due to moisture ... they just return the unit to its hapless owner tagged "Unrepairable".
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 09:04 am
I find it hard to comprehend that personal electronics would be so susceptible to moisture. This sucks.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 09:29 am
Dunno why you find that hard to comprehend. That's why owner's manuals and warning labels for electronics of all sorts just about invariably have strong words cautioning against exposure to moisture.

On the upside, its possible your homeowners insurance might cover the replacement cost, depending on the circumstances of the loss, however typical deductibles exceed the cost of most cell phones. Mebbe, if and when you do replace the phone, you might wanna consider the service provider's risk insurance; its usually a couple bucks a month, and provides for direct or equivalent replacement of a phone lost, stolen, or damaged through mishap.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:25 am
Because it shouldn't be that hard to make a cell phone water resistant.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 05:43 pm
Because is was so new, she was able to replace it for $50.

She still owes me big time.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:16 pm
Laughing - Think she learned anything?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:25 pm
I wish I could have made it more of a life lesson.

She's far from home, and that phone is her lifeline. Dads don't like to leave their little girls hanging.

She will pay me back though.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 05:34 am
(I don't have proof of this, but got this info on pretty good authority) According to my granddaughter, the phones have a spot (probably inside the phone) where there is a color change, if the spot comes in contact with moisture. If the repair shop sees the change, the warrantee will not be honored.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:55 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
(I don't have proof of this, but got this info on pretty good authority) According to my granddaughter, the phones have a spot (probably inside the phone) where there is a color change, if the spot comes in contact with moisture. If the repair shop sees the change, the warrantee will not be honored.

Very true. Happened to me, although the store was able to replace the faulty part from spares.

Dunking in water is not required, a drop of sweat can activate the thing. It was place just inside the battery compartment on my phone.
0 Replies