How many dimensions are there?

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:59 pm
I know there are several views on this matter. I'd be interested to hear about some of them from you knowledgable folk out there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 910 • Replies: 12
No top replies

spendius

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 06:02 pm
They are infinite.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:34 am
Interesting. What led to the notion that there are infinite dimensions? Are there some phenomena that are more easily explained by positing infinite dimensions?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:57 am
There is no popular theory in Physics that I know of which postulates an infinite number of dimensions. String theory, or at least the early versions, had a model in which the universe had ten dimensions, 9 of space and 1 of time.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:15 am
We don't know what time is. What we have is a notion of time and that isn't time.

Having the notion allows us to set up this notion in opposition to space.The infant can apprehend space but has no sense of time.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:21 am
As far as I'm concerned there's only four, the three spatial dimensions and time. I will only need four.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:01 am
That's a bit solipsistic wolf.
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 01:55 pm
All that illustrates is that our experience of time is intuitive rather than analytic. General relativity allows for a description of what time "is."

Earlier in the century, when Kurt Godel was working with Albert Einstein at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, he found a solution to the field equations that would create a closed time-like loop, essentially allowing for travel backward in time. If it were possible to visit events that had "happened", "time" would not exist. From this, Godel concluded that the "flow" of time had to be an intuitive creation. There are arguements about this, however. The universe that Godel had used to create these loops is not realistically suggestable -- the universe is not that way. However, if the field equations mathematically allow for a universe that could be that way, it might be legitimate to generalize the philosophic view of time as intuitive to our universe regardless. The alternative to this kind of mathematical Platonism would be to suggest that the mere physical distribution of matter and its properties would affect the intuitive/analytic properties of time and the way that it is experienced, which seems incorrect to me.

Someone might say that matter does affect time, GR predicts this, but that is not what I mean. It is more a question about the fundamental nature of what time actually is and how it is experienced.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:54 am
FFS.
Rolling Eyes

There are 4 dimensions.
3 spatial dimensions and one of time.
That's it.
There is absolutely no evidence for anything else.

There are many theories that require more dimensions but there is no experimental evidence for any of those either.

The bottom line is this : There are 4 dimensions. 3 spatial, 1 of time.

Anyone who tells you different is either deluded, lying or has decided that they know better than reality.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 04:28 am
Is "MIND" a dimension.

Perhaps all the psycotics and some of the nutters are actually experiencing another dimension.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 12:40 pm
I thought the nutters only experienced just the four.

But they can't be psychotic because the government rounds up psychotics and there'll be a pub full of them to deal with shortly.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:11 pm
dadpad wrote:
Is "MIND" a dimension.

No.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:35 pm
The thought "No" according to the Materialist Theory of Mind is a physical object consisting in our primitive understanding of atoms, molecules and electrical pulses which is varying all the time in a becoming leading to other thoughts building up to the thought of typing it onto the thread and weaves and waves about all mixed up with other thoughts like realising the stogie has burnt out and it's nearly pub time which are also weaving and waving about in our little noggins in as many dimensions as it is possible to imagine until one realises that to imagine it one's thoughts are thinking about themselves and that's no good so it's annihilated by thoughts of boozing which kicks in when a genuine biological urge such as with a raging thirst organises the thoughts to get a hot bath to get the thirst really mad.

Action follows. Perfectly justifiable action.
0 Replies