Already potty trained dog having accidents: help

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 04:13 pm
My dog, Anubis, is two years old and hasn't had any problems with potty training in about a year. For the past two weeks however, he's been pooing indoors. I think this is because he's been holding it in a lot longer than usual as a part of getting older and acquiring that ability except that he hasn't yet figured out his timing and holds it too long before he can't keep it in anymore. He isn't as concrete about telling me he has to go either. His behavior is also slightly different than when he'd had accidents in the past.

At them moment this is only obnoxious, but I want to be sure it's not something that is possibly medical or psychological, and would also appreciate any tips on alleviating the issue.

(When potty training him I used the bell technique and have just now put his bell back up. I do tell him to go to his crate when he has an accident which I know you're not really supposed to do, but it was what worked in the past and his crate is mesh. It is not zipped when I punish him. Normally he enjoys his crate quite a bit, so I'm not too worried about that area.....but right before this problem started he tore open the door of the crate. He always claws it out of excitement right before I let him out so I don't know if he maliciously, or due to stress, tore it. Currently when I leave, I tell him to go into his crate so I can zip it as I usually would, but leave instead. He has had no accidents while I've been gone, but only when I am home)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 7,862 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 04:38 am
The first question, as always, is: have you spoken with your vet about these issues? Dogs can have, shall we say, senior moments. There are a lot of other possibilities but since you mention the aging process I'm throwing that out there. No matter what, though, regardless of your or anyone's dog's age, it's best to check for organic causes first.
0 Replies

Anubisesss

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:10 am
I will definitely look into this, though it seems purposeful now. He never goes when we are gone, only when we are home. It's been in the same place several times and the weather of recent is in a heat advisory (though we have a/c downstairs where he has been).
0 Replies

WithDogsInDallas

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:02 am
I am having this problem also.
Just wondering if you discovered what was wrong? Our 1 year old female who never had a problem being potty trained has started having accidents. She has been treated by our vet (without doing any tests) twice for UTI but still has accidents. Last night I was sitting on the couch with her curled at my feet when I felt something warm. It was as if she had no idea that something was coming out. Any advise you can give is appreciated.
ladymunroe

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:05 am
@WithDogsInDallas,
HI, I'm also having this problem, we've had our rescue dog for four months and with the exception of one accident when he first came home, he's been as good as gold. For the past week he has had dribbling and last night whilst on the bed, he just relieved himself and carried on sleeping! I'm thinking this might be medical. Today he walked outside - walked back in and did what he needed to do at the foot of the stairs. What to do? I make a loud noise and ignore him for 20 mins ...... help!
mismi

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:17 am
@ladymunroe,
If he peed while he slept - my first instinct would be that it is medical as well. That's not like doggies. They don' like to pee where they sleep. I would have him checked at your vet.
ladymunroe

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 03:16 am
@mismi,
Yes, I'm keeping my eye on him. Yesterday he was fine, although he did seem to have to go more often, could be he has an infection, vets appiontment tomorrow to check the little angel out Smile, thanks for your reply.
mismi

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 06:54 am
@ladymunroe,
It may be a UTI - hope all goes well. Let us know.
0 Replies