Organizing your books

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 10:37 am
Organizing your books
Actually, Piffka, I should have said "alienating" her friends! She did a complete and thorough job of it in that last book.

You may well have a point about Mapps and Lucias in group, but I'm lucky - if we have any I haven't met them. Yet.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 02:58 pm
I did that twice in three years,Msolga, before winding up in present abode in 2000. The packing, labelling and then dealing with all those books... Arghhh!!!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 03:47 pm
TK -- Not at all? That's half the fun of volunteering.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:55 pm
Mapp and Lucia. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Georgino! un po di musica?

I do love those ladies. I also enjoy some of the straight history by E.F. Benson. Some of his autobiographical work is tremendous.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 11:59 am
Yep. loved 'em! I haven't read enough of Benson -- don't know about his other work.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:56 pm
Organizng your books
Well, Piffka, to tell the truth I'm not clever at infighting, politicking, and the kind of general social havoc-causing enjoyed by Lucia and Miss Mapp, and I'm not subtle enough to know when it's going on - maybe I'm surrounded by Mapps and Lucias, but I can't spot them. But I sure do enjoy reading about it all!

BTW - what about the Contessa - she's one of my favorite characters.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 01:44 pm
TK -- Well, I was in the Junior League* for a two years, so I'm attuned. I'm not clever at that either, but I recognize Mapps and Lucias when I see them. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of nice people, even the toadies are trying to be nice, but also trying to "move up" in society.

I'm trying to remember the Contessa, didn't she turn out to be a fake herself? Maybe I'm thinking of the Princess. <sigh> Must read these again. She was one of your favorites?

*Note: This was through no fault of my own -- I didn't even know what I was getting into but was invited to join and thought the food was great. Learned a lot about volunteering, too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 01:51 pm
piffka - look for some of his other books in the history sections of used book stores - i found one wonderful one, semi-autobiographical - a remaindered penguin!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 02:05 pm
ahhhhhhh - here we are -

As We Were: A Victorian Peep Show
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 02:39 pm
Organizing YourBooks
Tha Contessa was Mr Wise (sp?)'s sister who had married an Italian count. Lucia was terrified that she would be forced to speak Italian Embarrassed with the Contessa when the latter finally came to visit the Wises, but Mr Georgie saved her by a most clever ruse. Very Happy

I can't remember the spelling - it might have been Wyze?- because basically I listen to the tapes, since the books disappeared when we moved.

Really, Georgie was much nicer than Lucia deserved!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 05:11 pm
I always thought he was much nicer... though he'd occasionally get peeved. We must remember he was quite pretentious, but at least he seemed to admit it to himself. I remember his mulling over trying to get the easier part of the piano duets. LOL

There must have been something more interesting than we're told about Lucia. Irene... hmmm, what did they call her? Divine Irene? no... well, anyway, she was in love with Lucia, too.

Gotta re-read these.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 05:57 pm
I've owned several copies of the Mapp and Lucia collections. I grab them whenever I find them at Goodwill etc. I 'loan' them out, knowing they aren't coming back. There are a few books like that. Fran Lebowitz' Metropolitan Life is another one. I've never got one back that I 'loaned' out, so now I have spares.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 09:19 pm
You're so nice to your friends, Beth! I'm not even that nice to my sisters. Maybe I should turn over a new leaf? I try to get them to come to the book sales and spend money at the library.

....Still mulling over why Lucia got away with so much. Do you think it was because she was rich?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:13 am
but, pifffffffffffka, if you don't 'loan' people the good books, how are you going to turn them on to it? I think it's a worthwhile investment. I've also got a little project to buy some more books to send out on a book-crossing book release. Do you get their newsletters? It's a wonderful movement.

hmmm, Lucia wasn't really rich - there were more well-to-do people in the community - there were more 'established' people - but were there any more amusing people? Even when she annoyed people, she eventually 'tickled' their fancies again.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:43 am
Well, I tell them -- or I point out good ones at the sale. I usually give books for presents.

I thought Lucia had the most money of the main characters... and spent it as though she had more.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:54 am
here is a reader review that i particularly like
Quote:

Mapp and Lucia: Napoleons of the Tea Room

This is the first book Ive read in E.F. Bensons "Lucia" series, and it is fun-filled ride indeed. For Benson novices, Lucia Lucas is a middle aged, recently widowed (in this novel), perfectly nice upper middle class woman who just happens to have the mind of Machavelli. Missing her obvious calling for World Domination, she is instead content to rule the social life of her small English village with an iron fist. As "Mapp and Lucia" begins however, Lucia has long since deposed any serious threat to her social dominance in her immediate vicinity, and decides fresher pastures are in order. She packs up her things (including , of course, best friend and right-hand-man Georgie) and moves to Tilling, where she expects she will be made society Queen in no time flat. Unfortunately for Lucia, Tilling already has a Queen, one Elizabeth Mapp, and she has no intention of relinquishing her crown.
The scene is thus set for a true Battle Royal, only in Tilling the battelfields are luncheons and dinner parties, and the weapons fruit gardens and lobster recipes. The results are very very funny, as the genteel of Tilling spend a breathless year thoroughly enjoying each swipe, snub and put down. The hilarious climax has our heroines floating out to sea on an overturned kitchen table, with Lucias last audible words promising delicious gossip just as soon as she gets out of her current mess.

Benson draws his characters exquisitely well, I found myself flat out liking her. She is an Englishwomen of the 1930s, past her prime but still youthful, who just happens to be blessed (cursed?) with the personality of an Alpha Male. The resulting battle of wits with the formidable Mapp is fascinating; Mapp is clearly not her intellectual equal but through a mixture of deviousness and and cunning manages to pull the carpet from underneath Lucias carefully laid plans time and again. The supporting characters are equally well written, with best friend Georgie and Mapps crony Diva especially amusing.

All in all, a funny, entertaining and biting satire that is well worth reading whether you are already a Lucia fan or are picking up a Benson novel for the first time. Highly recommended!

http://www.literature-reviews.com/Mapp_and_Lucia_1559212322.html

i'd never considered that alpha-male angle
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:24 am
Machiavellian, I can see, but "delicious gossip" doesn't fit with my image of alpha-male. The review does make me want to read about them all over again. My book is too big and heavy to take on my trip -- it's over 1000 pages.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:27 am
I like your new avatar, EhBeth! It inspires me to change mine...
0 Replies