Songs That Tell Stories

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 08:11 pm
letty, I love ee cummings. I kept waiting to hear the poem in the video. Oh, well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:10 pm
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 09:18 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 05:34 pm
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 08:35 pm
I love this band but listening to it now, I realized they are out of tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEQ_glAuUhA
plainoldme

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 08:41 pm
I hope that, in my near to drooling old age, I haven't posted this already. This is a great story. It deserves to be a movie. I've taken some notes in an attempt to make it into a novel . . . except, I want my setting to be Ireland.

Ralph McTell wrote this for Fairport. It is the only thing worth listening to on their album, Gladys' Leap. Wish the McTell version were still available on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRmyKFmMzPs&playnext=1&list=PL749AFE60DEAD3B8C
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 08:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
Dead Man's Curve. Excellent story ed.
How about the irony:
Quote:
On April 12, 1966, Berry received severe head injuries in an automobile accident just a short distance from Dead Man's Curve in Los Angeles, California, two years after the song had become a hit.

Berry was on his way to a business meeting when he crashed his Corvette into a parked truck on Whittier Drive, near the intersection of Sunset Boulevard, in Beverly Hills.

Berry had also separated from his girlfriend of seven years, singer-artist Jill Gibson, later a member for a short time of The Mamas & the Papas, who had also co-written several songs with Berry.

Berry traveled a long and difficult road toward recovery from brain damage and partial paralysis. He had minimal use of his right arm, and had to learn to write with his left hand.

Doctors said he would never walk again, but he refused to give up, and ultimately succeeded.

Torrence stood by his partner, maintaining their presence in the music industry, and keeping open the possibility that they would perform together again.
panzade

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 09:07 pm
@plainoldme,
That fiddle player Dieb is not very accomplished so his intonation is off. Plus he's jumping around. Plus he's too hot in the mix. Other than that, they're pretty good.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 09:31 pm
@panzade,
I remember when that happened, panz. I recall watching a made for TV movie about it. Can't recall in what year.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 09:35 pm
plainoldme
I gave the songs a quick examination, but will have to come back tomorrow to really listen. It's past my log off time for the night. Got to get up early.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 02:52 pm
@panzade,
I like them. So does my daughter who has played viola and violin for years. They're also kinda sexy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 09:12 pm
Out of tune or not, I like it too, pom.
The Hiring Fair is also a good one.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 07:13 pm
panzade

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 07:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
what a song writer...17 years old and wrote "And When I Die"? Wow
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 07:38 pm
@panzade,
I loved that girl.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 09:31 pm
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 08:06 pm
I've been trying to remember a song that I first heard performed by a Canadian group called Hart Rouge. I believe they said the song was written by Lennie Gallant. The Hart Rouge version, from their CD Beaupre's Home, is not available on youtube. I decided against an awful rendition by the Gram Partisans -- some very old folk singers (Sigh! We are all headed in that direction).

Then I found this version from Zachary Richard. The song is accompanied by pictures from the Gulf and is more relevant than ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUwd3PBOG_c
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 08:31 pm
Yes, a good song and fitting video.
Letty

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 08:55 am
@edgarblythe,
http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/1/8683.jpg

Jonathan Livingston Seagull, written by Richard Bach, is a fable in novella form about a seagull learning about life and flight, and a homily about self-perfection. It was first published in 1970 as "Jonathan Livingston Seagull — a story." By the end of 1972, over a million copies were in print, Reader's Digest had published a condensed version, and the book reached the top of the New York Times Best Seller list where it remained for 38 weeks. In 1972 and 1973 the book topped the Publishers Weekly list of bestselling novels in the United States. It is still in print as of 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgkk0Hdwmo8
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 02:25 pm
I remember when that was all the rage, letty. Loved it.
0 Replies