Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 07:53 am
In some versions it's also:

As I was walkin'
I saw a sign there
And that sign said no trespassin'
But on the other side
It didn't say nothin!
Now that side was made for you and me!

which I think has been somewhat adulterated.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 12:55 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

In some versions it's also:

As I was walkin'
I saw a sign there
And that sign said no trespassin'
But on the other side
It didn't say nothin!
Now that side was made for you and me!

which I think has been somewhat adulterated.

I pride myself on knowing the lyrics, but I did not know those words, either.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 02:33 pm
Suze Rotolo, who strongly influenced Bob Dylan's songwriting and walked beside him on the album cover for The Freewheeling Bob Dylan, died of lung cancer on Friday. She was 67.

Rotolo, an artist and teacher, grew up in Queens. She began dating Dylan in the early 1960s, after meeting him at a marathon folk-music concert at the Riverside Church in New York City. She was 17 at the time.

In 2008, she wrote about her relationship with him in a memoir, A Freewheelin' Time: A Memoir of Greenwich Village in the Sixties, and joined Terry Gross for a conversation about their relationship, Dylan's music and the 1963 photo shoot for the Freewheeling album cover, where she was pictured walking arm-in-arm with Dylan down a partially snow-covered New York City street.

"It was very casual, completely unplanned and it was freezing outside," she said. "Bob just took this thin suede jacket that wasn't good for a New York cold winter day, and I had on a couple of sweaters ... and I threw a coat on top. I always look at that picture [and] I feel like an Italian sausage because I had so many layers on, and he was freezing and I was freezing and had more clothes on. It was very cold that day."

Though the album cover became iconic, Rotolo said she had little idea how it would change her life.
"I don't think anyone who had anything to do with it thought it would have such an enormous impact," she said. "It became something that was my identifier, but it wasn't my identity. ... So [as] it became an iconic album, the more I could detach from it and just look at it [and think], 'Okay, that's what that is.' But it was an odd feeling for many years."

In 1962, Rotolo left for Perugia, Italy, for eight months. Her separation from Dylan — who didn't want her to go — inspired the songs "Tomorrow Is a Long Time," "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" and "Boots of Spanish Leather."

When Rotolo returned, the reception in Greenwich Village was not friendly. A lot of people thought she'd been cold and indifferent to leave Dylan for so long, and many folksingers on the scene deliberately sang songs that Dylan had written about his heartache whenever Rotolo was around.

"I've always been a shy person, so to have this relationship kind of thrown right out there in public was very horrible," Rotolo said. "I didn't go broadcasting things around, and yet people seemed to know how I had made him suffer. Publicly, he was letting that out. But I see that that was just his way of working through it, making it part of his art. But at the time, I just felt so exposed. It was awful."

Slowly, Rotolo and Dylan began to move apart. In August 1963, she moved out of their apartment in the Village while Dylan began spending more time on the road.

"I just felt that that I no longer had a place in this world of his music and fame," she said. "I felt more and more insecure, that I was just this string on his guitar; I was just this chick. And I was losing confidence in who I was. And also, the more famous he got, there were more pressures on him; and, of course, there's all these women that were running around, and so it became something I didn't like being involved in anymore. I saw it as a small, cloistered, specialized world that I just didn't belong in."

Dylan began dating Joan Baez, who was performing with him on the road. In 1967, Rotolo married Enzo Bartoccioli, a film editor she'd met in Italy. They had a son, Luca.

Rotolo taught at the Parsons School of Design in New York. She is survived by her husband and son.
http://www.gothamist.com/attachments/arts_jen/2006_04_arts_freewheelin.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 02:40 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 06:44 pm

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 06:56 pm
In recent years some headlines have cast an increase in sales for vinyl LPs — once considered a casualty of the CD era — as something like a beacon of hope for the struggling music industry. The reality isn't all that rosy. Though vinyl sales grew by 14% in 2010, according to Nielsen SoundScan, they still counted for less than one percent of the year's total album sales.

But vinyl has never really gone away. It's just meant different things to different generations. Today, for the most part, that means fans of indie rock. According to that Nielsen end-of-the-year report, here are the top ten vinyl albums of 2010, with sales figures in parentheses:

1.Abbey Road - The Beatles (35,000)
2.The Suburbs - Arcade Fire (18,800)
3.Brothers - The Black Keys (18,400)
4.Contra - Vampire Weekend (15,000)
5.Thriller - Michael Jackson (14,200)
6.High Violet - The National (13,600)
7.Teen Dream - Beach House (13,000)
8.Valleys of Neptune - Jimi Hendrix Experience (11,400)
9.Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd (10,600)
10.XX - The XX (10,200)
The music industry has come to view diminished sales expectations as the norm, but vinyl sales barely register compared to those of other formats. Arcade Fire's The Suburbs has sold over half a million copies including sales of CDs and digital downloads.

Even the people who service vinyl's small but devoted audience are cautious when describing the format's resurgence.

"Vinyl is definitely growing, and will continue to grow. But I think there's a ceiling," says Andres Santo Domingo, the co-founder of the label Mexican Summer. "I don't think it'll ever become the prevalent format. I think it'd be crazy to think that."

Still, Santo Domingo and Keith Abrahamsson, his partner at Mexican Summer, started the label as a pop-based vinyl-only sister label to Santo Domingo's Kemado Records, which releases mostly heavy rock and roll. They insist that vinyl's modest sales rates make it a perfect fit for an indie mentality that still wants to function in a digital world.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 07:25 pm
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 07:00 am
@edgarblythe,
I have been listening to this song all morning.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 10:29 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 09:01 am
plainoldme

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 10:47 am
@edgarblythe,
Was that music from the movie? Was Shaun Davey the composer?

Here's in the traditional version. There is one more that I am looking for but I have to go to work early:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AEgNvO4s1c
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 01:06 pm
@plainoldme,
Yes, the music is from the film. James Horner wrote it. He also did Braveheart.
I thought your song was by Woodie Guthrie, but I see I was wrong.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 10:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
Woodie would have been quite precocious to have written that song. It was first noted when he was a preschooler.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 11:07 pm
"Stagger Lee", also known as "Stagolee", "Stackerlee", "Stack O'Lee", "Stack-a-Lee" and several other variants, is a popular folk song based on the murder of William "Billy" Lyons by Stagger Lee Shelton. Herb Wiedoeft and his band recorded the song in 1924.[1] The version recorded by Mississippi John Hurt in 1928 is considered by some commentators[who?] to be definitive, containing as it does all of the elements that appear in other versions.

A cover with different lyrics was a chart hit for Lloyd Price in 1959; Dick Clark felt that the original tale of murder was too morbid for his American Bandstand audience, and insisted that they be changed to eliminate the murder.[2] In this version, the subject was changed from gambling to fighting over a woman, and instead of a murder, the two yelled at each other, and made up the next day. However, it was the original, unbowdlerized, version of Lloyd's performance that reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and was ranked #456 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list.

"Stag O Lee" songs may have predated even the 1895 incident[citation needed], and Lee Shelton may have gotten his nickname from earlier folk songs. The first published version of the song was by folklorist John Lomax in 1910.[3] The song was well known in African American communities along the lower Mississippi River by the 1910s.

Before World War II, it was commonly known as "Stack O'Lee". W.C. Handy wrote that this probably was a nickname for a tall person, comparing him to the tall smokestack of the large steamboat Robert E. Lee[citation needed]. By the time W.C. Handy wrote that explanation in the 1920s, "Stack O' Lee" was already familiar in United States popular culture, with recordings of the song made by such pop singers of the day as Cliff Edwards.

In Hurt's version, as in all such pieces, there are many (sometimes anachronistic) variants on the lyrics. Several older versions give Billy's last name as "De Lyons" or "Deslile".

[edit] Notable versionsTommy Roe's 1971 version of the song went to #25 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #17 on the Canadian Singles Chart.
The Grateful Dead recorded a version of the tale which focuses on the fictionalized hours after the death of "Billy DeLion", when Billy's wife Delia tracks down Stagger Lee in a local saloon and "she shot him in the balls" in revenge for Billy's death.[4]
The Clash's 1979 album London Calling includes a cover of the song "Wrong 'Em Boyo" by the Jamaican rocksteady group the Rulers, in which Stagger Lee is explicitly the hero and Billy the villain.[5]
A version by The Fabulous Thunderbirds can be found on the Porky's Revenge soundtrack (1985). Johnny Otis's band Snatch and the Poontangs perform a version in which the violence is matched by the sex.
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds present an even more violent and homoerotic version of the song on their 1996 album Murder Ballads. This version retakes a street "toast poem" on Stagolee.[6] Toasts are pre-rap poems and stories especially popular among those in "the life" and among prisoners. The song contains much swearing and shows the story from a neutral perspective; Stagger Lee refers to himself as "The Bad ************." The song also appears to set the story in the 1930s, evident in the opening line "It was back in '32 when times were hard."
More recently, the Black Keys recorded a song entitled "Stack Shot Billy" on their 2004 album Rubber Factory. In 2005, Chris Whitley and Jeff Lang recorded their own arrangement of the song, called "Stagger Lee", ultimately released on their 2006 CD Dislocation Blues.
A version of the song by Pacific Gas & Electric was included on the soundtrack for Quentin Tarantino's film Death Proof, the second portion of the 2007 double-feature Grindhouse. In the 2007 film Black Snake Moan, Samuel L. Jackson's character sings a boastful version of the song from Stagger Lee's perspective, titled "Stackolee". This version is based on R. L. Burnside's rendition which can be heard on the album Well, Well, Well. Blues musician Keb' Mo' performs his version in a scene from the 2007 film Honeydripper.
[edit] Other artists who recorded the songSidney Bechet
Beck
Pat Boone
James Brown
Neil Diamond
Johnny Dodds
Fats Domino
Dr. John
Bob Dylan
Duke Ellington
Woody Guthrie
Bill Haley & His Comets
Tim Hardin
Wilbert Harrison
Huey Lewis and the News
Frank Hutchison
The Isley Brothers
Furry Lewis
Taj Mahal
Memphis Slim
Wilson Pickett
Professor Longhair
Ma Rainey
Josh Ritter
Johnny Rivers
Tom Rush
Sam the Sham
Pete Seeger
Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes
Ike and Tina Turner
Dave Van Ronk
Doc Watson

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 11:09 pm
The crime

A story appearing in the St. Louis Globe-Democrat in 1895 read:

William Lyons, 25, a levee hand, was shot in the abdomen yesterday evening at 10 o'clock in the saloon of Bill Curtis, at Eleventh and Morgan Streets, by Lee Sheldon, a carriage driver. Lyons and Sheldon were friends and were talking together. Both parties, it seems, had been drinking and were feeling in exuberant spirits. The discussion drifted to politics, and an argument was started, the conclusion of which was that Lyons snatched Sheldon's hat from his head. The latter indignantly demanded its return. Lyons refused, and Sheldon withdrew his revolver and shot Lyons in the abdomen. When his victim fell to the floor Sheldon took his hat from the hand of the wounded man and coolly walked away. He was subsequently arrested and locked up at the Chestnut Street Station. Lyons was taken to the Dispensary, where his wounds were pronounced serious. Lee Sheldon is also known as 'Stag' Lee.[3]

Lyons eventually died of his injuries. Shelton was tried, convicted, and served prison time for this crime. This otherwise unmemorable crime is remembered in a song. In some older versions of the song, the name of the other party is given as "Billy Deslile" or "De Lion".

[edit]
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 11:12 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 11:16 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 05:16 pm
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 06:14 pm
Hey, Edgar, I have been trying to think of another Titanic song since you posted your material. It finally occurred to me: It was co-written by two singer-songwriters associated with New England, Jaime Brockett and Chris Smither which is a reworking of a Leadbelly song. There is no evidence that Jack Jackson was turned away by the captain of the Titanic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4jliLONDAc
plainoldme

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 06:18 pm
@plainoldme,
This is John Bachman doing Leadbelly's original, which is easier to take.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzc86ZlgKjM
0 Replies