a2k lite?

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:53 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I am personally appalled at the disturbing drop off in the amount of analingus, lesbian gang bang and double penetration threads that used to be so much fun. What happened?
You and Kicky don't start as many threads as you used to.

Appalled is a bit strong, isn't it? Raise your hand if you've never played solitary (and what could be more mind numbing than that?).
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:57 pm
sumac wrote:
I have just recently started to peak at "New Posts" and was rather surprised, and frankly appalled, at the sheer percentage of new posts that occur in forums such as Trivia and Word Games, Humor, General, etc.

You've just started peeking at the "New Posts" option? That is my sole method of navigating A2K (unless I am checking to see if someone answered a particularly important question of mine)

I log onto A2K and hit "New Posts" Doesn't matter what the subject is or the identity of the author, I just dive in and contribute. I like to be helpful. That is why you will find me battling it out with the gangstas on "The Never-Ending Rap Thread" or discussing child-rearing with boomer and soz on the "You Won't Believe What My Child Did!" thread.

That's the beauty of A2K -- the diversity of subjects, the eccletic mix of characters and, most importantly, the "New Posts" option.

That, my friend, is the essence of the beast.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 08:00 pm
Re: a2k lite?
sumac wrote:
I have just recently started to peak at "New Posts" and was rather surprised, and frankly appalled, at the sheer percentage of new posts that occur in forums such as Trivia and Word Games, Humor, General, etc.

To be specific, not exactly topics of substance.

Why, do you suppose?

Speaking for myself, because the supposedly weightier topics of substance on the Politics and Religion forums come down to a mindless repetition of talking points, mud slinging, vanity trips and argument for the sake of argument 90% of the time. Basically, I dont find most of them very educational at all.

I do still post on the International News and Politics forums, but most days I try to stay away from joining much discussion ... I try to use them more as a sort of blog, kinda 'bookmarking' interesting stuff / articles / links I come across.

Mind you, the Fun / General forums seem to be in a bit of a rut themselves... must be the summer heat. Missing the full, cumulative impact of Kicky, Slappy, Gus, Gargamel and Lord Ellpus posts.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:24 am
I just quit a couple of the repetitive, mud=slinging, going nowhere, revealing nothing new heavier threads of substance for all of the reasons above. When something bores me, I have a limit of tolerance.

I think it might also depend upon how much time one has at one's disposal to be here on a2k. If I have skads of time, I could well afford to go all over the place, linger here, jump to there.

But with more limited time, I want to get something - be stimulated, be made to think, to learn something.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:56 am
Why is politics considered "heavier" than general, or parenting, or bloody word games, for that matter?

Seriously, I get peeved occasionally when people talk about "heavy lifting" threads, as though arguing about politics, when one has no power, is somehow more intellectual or whatever than discussing lighter things, or the meat and heart of people's lives.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:08 am
Decent guestion.

Amount of cognitive work required? Ease (lack of resistance) of that process? Quantity of unknowns? Amount of ambiguity? Complexity (number of factors/processes contributing and usually interacting)? Degree removed from our own experiences?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:16 am
Lol! Defend politics posturing re the rest.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:24 am
Save the last, your point is well taken.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:41 am
Brainstorming:

Another element to take into consideration when it comes to evaluating threads in the light of the essence/original intent/whatever of "Able2Know" would be their usefulness to the wider knowledge- and information-seeking web surfer and googler.

What strikes me is that both the word game threads, the kinda incrowd threads on the General forum and the Politics threads appear to provide little service to the outside web user Wanting2Know. All of those threads revolve around a pretty stable community of long-term A2K members. Meanwhile, its the threads in Relationships and Parenting, the threads on English, and the threads on Computers and Web Development that appear, to my cursive look, to continually attract questions and grateful responses from ever new visitors, who purposely came (Googling) to A2K to find answers and information.

So both when it comes to ProvidingKnowledge and, not unimportantly, attracting that higher ranking in number of individual visitors that yields advertising / revenue marketability, its those threads that constitute the site's "heavy lifting" -- not either the General or the Politics threads, which are more incestuous and both mostly provide entertainment for a much smaller community of long-term users.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:51 am
Excellent take from a different perspective.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 09:11 am
dlowan wrote:
Why is politics considered "heavier" than general, or parenting, or bloody word games, for that matter?

I couldn't agree more. Politics always seems to be for the "big boys and girls" only. So be it.

[yawn]
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 09:22 am
let there be lite, i say. Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 09:22 am
a2k lite, is the main reason I post here.

When it gets too heavy, I sliiiiide over to the left side of the room,
or take my fart jokes elsewhere like the classy broad I am .

Cool
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:05 am
great taste, less filling...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:07 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
a2k lite, is the main reason I post here.

When it gets too heavy, I sliiiiide over to the left side of the room,
or take my fart jokes elsewhere like the classy broad I am .

And don't let anyone else tell you differently! Laughing

You are definitely on my "dozen or so, must read what they have to say" posters. Very Happy
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:33 pm
if i had a dozen, you might be on it, R, but since i don't Question
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:39 pm
Did I miss an after-class assignment to prepare a list? Confused
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 02:52 pm
Sound and Fury Department:

Quote:
Seriously, I get peeved occasionally when people talk about "heavy lifting" threads, as though arguing about politics, when one has no power, is somehow more intellectual or whatever than discussing lighter things, or the meat and heart of people's lives.

Excellent post.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:15 pm
yitwail wrote:
if i had a dozen, you might be on it, R, but since i don't Question

That's the story of my life. I nearly was a regular at the Dys Club.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:16 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Sound and Fury Department:

Quote:

Excellent post.

And that was good for you catching that! :wink:
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » a2k lite?
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 02:50:18