a2k lite?

sumac

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 08:34 am
I have just recently started to peak at "New Posts" and was rather surprised, and frankly appalled, at the sheer percentage of new posts that occur in forums such as Trivia and Word Games, Humor, General, etc.

To be specific, not exactly topics of substance.

Why, do you suppose?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,154 • Replies: 45
No top replies

Chai

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 08:49 am
I really don't know why, but if it appalls you that these forums get a lot of use, don't go in them.

As a matter of fact, I find this thread rather lite on the substance. Others may not.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 09:06 am
Actually, I seldom do go into those forums. It is the sheer volume, or relative percentage of total posting to these forums, that I find surprising.

But my question can hardly be considered as "lite".
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 09:12 am
Hiya sumac. Good to see you again.

I think a lot of people stop in to blow off steam or just relax and escape the drama of the world.

I know I do that sometimes.

Also it seems that a lot of things have been discussed to death. If you post a question you often get a link to a previous thread instead of many new responses. You almost have to bait people to engage them and lately people haven't been taking the bait.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 09:23 am
There are a lot of members who sole play the trivia games, I have never read their name somewhere else. They enjoy playing games and they have no interest in discussing pollitics or religion. In essence, their intend to join
was a different one than yours probably, sumac.

a2k isn't only an educational site , is it?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 09:56 am
I tend to avoid the "heavier" threads nowadays, as I have realised that most of them are not very good for my personal wellbeing. The majority of those threads end up in some form of mudslinging, which I have been dragged into on more than one occasion, and they generally never reach any form of conclusion.
This is evidenced by the large number of "fresh" threads started on much the same small number of topics...ie "My god is better than yours", "Just how much of a moron is GWB" and "Ner ner ner ner, your democrat/republican party stinks".

I now stick mainly to the general/humour/news/human interest threads, and just enjoy chatting and making silly posts where appropriate, with what tends to be very much the same bunch of lovely, ordinary people most of the time.

I come on to A2K with one thing in mind, to feel better when I log off.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 10:08 am
Ellpus, you ignorant slut . . .

I spend more time than i ought to in political and religious threads--but not nearly so much as my detractors (a considerable body) would like to suggest.

I do the silly thing, too. I've started a couple of word game threads myself, and continue to enjoy them.

I also try to sincerely answer as many threads which request information for which i believe i have a usable answer.

Ellpus used to do that, too, but breakfast broke the poor man's spirit . . .
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 11:28 am
My post was better than yours, you old tart....ner ner ner ner.
I'll be back on the breakfast duty when they arrive in their hordes, fresh from their summer vacation.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 12:01 pm
Good and fair enough replies all. And I too visit some threads primarily to chat with friends. Did the same on Abuzz too, and of course, we were all roundly criticized for that exercise. Of course this is more than an educational forum. I'm not sure that it can claim to be an educational forum, but there is something satisfying about a real honest to goodness discussion of a topic. Doing the feel good/amusement/entertainment/pass the time of day thing is not mutually exclusive of the other.

A 50/50 split would be understandable - but it isn't even close.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 12:11 pm
Sometimes there is quite a bit of wit shown on the word game/trivia threads. Sometimes I wish there were more wits used in the apparently serious threads. On the proportions of types of threads to the whole panoply of threads over time - I think threads come in waves, that there isn't even distribution - having to do with time of day, month of the year, and what is going on in the news, and even reaction to other threads in the lineup. Personally, with all that is going on in the middle east and my despair about it, I've been oddly attracted to what you call a2k lite this week, sumac.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 12:31 pm
Agreed, osso. When my psyche or soul is out of whack, I can't bear adding anything more heavy duty, difficult, negative, etc., to the mix.

Interesting idea about time of day, day of week, coming in waves depending upon factor 'x'.....
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 12:42 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
I now stick mainly to the general /humour /news /human interest threads, and just enjoy chatting and making silly posts where appropriate, with what tends to be very much the same bunch of lovely, ordinary people most of the time.

I come on to A2K with one thing in mind, to feel better when I log off.

I couldn't agree with you more! That exactly how I feel, too. Thanks for giving H.I. a nod for that. :wink:
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 04:24 pm
A2K lite is also a good place to be if you are relatively new to the forum like me. I have of course checked out some of the more serious threads and am usually intimidated by all the wise and well-written responses. (Seriously, not just sucking up Smile .) The fun threads seem like a good way to get my feet wet as I have never visited this type of site 'til now. Besides, it's a good idea to figure out who's who and what's what; don't want to attract the vitriol of the conspiracy theorists. (Yeah, I know some of you think that's fun.)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 04:35 pm
I find A2K Lite to be much more imaginative and entertaining. I have quite enough seriousness in my daily routine without looking for more here.

My one exception is Relationships & Marriage.

Oddly enough, I often find that entertaining as well.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 04:37 pm
Eva wrote:
I find A2K Lite to be much more imaginative and entertaining. I have quite enough seriousness in my daily routine without looking for more here.

My one exception is Relationships & Marriage.

Oddly enough, I often find that entertaining as well.

Scares the bejesus out of me...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 04:48 pm
I am personally appalled at the disturbing drop off in the amount of analingus, lesbian gang bang and double penetration threads that used to be so much fun. What happened?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:42 pm
dlowan wrote:

Of course it does. That's because you're not married. It's familiar territory to me, that's all.

BlueveinedBear wrote:
I am personally appalled at the disturbing drop off in the amount of analingus, lesbian gang bang and double penetration threads that used to be so much fun. What happened?

Well, those aren't such familiar territory to me, but you're right, they ARE entertaining! Go ahead and start one, Bear.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:44 pm
Eva wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Of course it does. That's because you're not married yourself. It's familiar territory to me.

BlueveinedBear wrote:

Well, those aren't quite so familiar to me, but you're right, they ARE entertaining! Go ahead and start one, Bear.

Eva I could have sworn you were a paying member of my specialty website....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:46 pm
What website?!?

Awww...too bad you can't post links here. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:47 pm
There's a trivia and word-games forum available on this site???
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » a2k lite?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 12:18:08