Pecan "Tassles" as Mulch

dupre

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 09:59 am
I top-dressed some Turk's caps with "tassles" (I don't know the correct word here!) from my pecan trees, which fell off this early spring.

They feel spongy like peat moss, and I am hoping as they decompose they will provide some nutrients for my flowers.

I intend to fill in the rest of the space between the Turks' caps with wood chips to impede weeds and retain water. Someday these caps will fill in the space and be as much as nine feet tall.

Could the pecan "tassles" be too acidic for my plants? Is there a reason why I shouldn't do this?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,108 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 10:54 pm
Sorry, Dupre, this is waaaay beyond my understanding. Maybe someone will come along and help...
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 07:49 am
Thanks, ossobuco.

I'm going to hope it's okay. After all, they are both natives, so one could assume that maybe this happens in nature all the time.

But I will watch them to see if they suffer.

Thanks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 10:40 am
i'd recommend someplace like the 'over the fence' forum at taunton.com for a serious gardening question like this. it's affiliated with fine gardening magazine, and has a really helpful web community with a few master gardeners in it - Mrs. SealPoet can be found there (when she's not busy gardening or studying for her gardening exams).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 11:06 am
Ehbeth and Dupre, I'll add that link to the helpful links - garden Topic here.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 08:26 am
Thanks to both of you!
0 Replies