Crossword help please

Cafta

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:16 am
Anyone able to help me find an elusive answer?
The clue reads "In early Christian times this word was applied to the large tablets of stone set over or near a grave" (5)
I have M???A
Thank you all
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,448 • Replies: 17
No top replies

tycoon

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:34 am
Is your M in the right position? 'Omega' (the end) would seem to fit the clue.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:41 am
Hi Cafta

My suggestion is "stela".

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

Cafta

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 09:09 am
Thanks for the replies. I did think of stela. The M comes from my answer MITRE to the clue "The liturgical head-dress and part of the insignia of a bishop"(5). Otherwise I would need another answer S?T?E.
The A I"m sure is correct as it comes from OBSERVATORE ROMANO which is the vatican newspaper. Any other ideas?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 03:40 am
Hi Cafta

How are you getting on with that word? I have found 823 words that fit your combination but haven't got the time to check them individually? Have you?
0 Replies

Cafta

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:06 am
Wow! So many words. Have checked quite a few through the dictionary website www.onelook.com . The closest I've come to is MENSA - (ecclesiastical) The top surface of an altar. This doesn't quite fit the clue though. So am still stumped!! I hate being beaten especially with only one word to find!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:11 am
Yes, I'm like you I'll keep searching till I find the answer. The 823 words I found are from the site you mentioned, I suppose if you systematically checked them all you must strike pay dirt sooner or later. Smile

Will keep looking for you whenever I have a spare minute.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 08:02 am
Is it possible to approach this from another angle? What are the clues for the missing letters? Maybe we can fill in a letter or two and narrow it further.

The clue seems to me to be asking for a word that was commonly inscribed on gravestones, but that could be open for interpretation also.
0 Replies

Cafta

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 02:10 am
Unfortunately there are no intersecting clues for the other letters, so am stuck with M???A. What if the M were an S. Any word for "The liturgical headdress and part of the insignia of a bishop"(5) that would fit S?T?E. As stated before I have MITRE for this.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 03:48 am
Mitre in my view is the correct answer for the question you have. I have tried the combination s?t?e but can't find any word to fit the the question. On with the search. Smile
0 Replies

podsplay

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 06:48 pm
Re: Crossword help please
Cafta wrote:
Anyone able to help me find an elusive answer?
The clue reads "In early Christian times this word was applied to the large tablets of stone set over or near a grave" (5)
I have M???A
I also came up with a lot of words all of which I checked and the only one possible so far is 'mensa' Did the early christians erect altars over or near graves?
0 Replies

podsplay

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 06:59 pm
Re: Crossword help please
I've just found a site that state that originally altars were erected to celebrate the deaths of martyrs and where possible erected directly above thir tombs so I think 'mensa' must be the correct word
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 07:03 pm
Hi cafta & podplay

Good to know that more people are looking for this elusive answer. I don't know wether "mensa" is the word though when looking at the following definition:
men•sa

Pronunciation: (men'su),
1. Also called altar slab, altar stone. the flat stone forming the top of the altar in a Roman Catholic church.
2. (cap.) Astron.the Table, a southern constellation near Octans.
0 Replies

Cafta

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 02:18 am
Thanks for the help. Looks like I might be stumped by this one. Competition closes soon, so will probably go with MENSA even though this doesn't really fit the clue. Will still keep looking till the last minute, then will have to await the solution when it gets published!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 03:12 am
I'm intrigued, please print answer when it becomes known, good one for the black book. Incidently in which publication did it appear?
0 Replies

Cafta

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 04:34 am
Will certainly post the answer when it is published. Thank you all again for the help. This clue was from a competition crossword sent out to Crossword Club members for July. To join The Crossword Club you pay a couple of dollars a month and are sent a newsletter and a set of competition crosswords each month. I'm addicted to these competitions and the Lovatt crosswords. If you're interested in joining their address is:
The Crossword Club, PO Box 203, Mona Vale, NSW, 1660.
ph: (02)99860888
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 06:53 am
Hi Cafta

Thank you for that information, have applied for an information packet.
0 Replies

Treeks

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 09:06 pm
crossword answer
I am stumped on this one too. I can only think that the answer in MENSA
0 Replies