Cell Phone: My first at 63...

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:12 pm
Hi There,

I'm considering getting my first cell phone, after 50 years of a "land phone." I'm not a 'telephone person', so I would use the cell phone far less frequently than the average person. I do need a phone for incoming calls though--I'm a freelance writer, and sub-teacher (which pays the bills) so the receiving end of the phone is important. Absolutely no interest in extraneous frills.

Any advice on what to get phone/plan wise?

Thank you.

Bill Powers
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,087 • Replies: 16
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:15 pm
In addition to a land line, or instead of. If the former, I've been through this and settled on a prepaid usage deal like Tracphone. The rates will eat you alive if you use it much. If you only use it for traveling, for example, you will save a fortune over monthly charges.

Anyway, that's something to look into if that's your situation.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:16 pm
One of my good friends has your name...except he's about 30 years younger.

There's so many different plans out there...I'd just look at them online, maybe take a trip to the mall and go over different company's plans.

As far as I know, Verizon and AT&T are the big dogs, and have a lot of coverage. I have Verizon and have no complaints.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:55 pm
I also have Verizon. I got rid of my land line entirely. It's like taking home with you and you never miss a call. I'll never go back.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:37 pm
I'd look at those prepaid phones that don't seem to involve plans - just pay for the minutes and add more minutes when those run out.

I would get one like that if I didn't get my phone as part of my husbands plan. I think I've used my phone twice in two years.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:56 pm
If you're only going to use it very infrequently, then prepaid may make sense. But if you're going to use it regularly at all, they're more expensive.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:30 pm
Get nationwide coverage. Most major providers offer it.

If you travel at all, check the coverage of the provider. For instance if you have family in the middle of Kansas or Wyoming and want to use your phone for free there when you go visit them. Free meaning your normal monthy charges vs $5 a minute for being out of service provider area.
(My cel phone is provided by work and it has no coverage when I go visit certain relatives. A big blank spot in their coverage map. My wife's works fine there.)

If most of your calls are incoming and brief, check if anyone still does a first minute free on incoming calls. It will allow you to get a plan with fewer minutes.

Above all, be aware if you suddenly find yourself in a month where you have 4 or 5 1-1/2 hour phone calls in the middle of a business day you could find yourself hit with overages.

For limited usage, $40 a month including long distance is cheaper than you can get a land line anywhere in the US.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:54 pm
True, parados. Except me, of course, and that's only because I fired MCI as my long distance carrier, cutting their monthly fee and the associated taxes. Calling card is inconvenient, but way cheaper if you are not making very many long distance calls.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 09:04 pm
With a cell phone you're paying for the convenience. A friend of mine found himself lost on the hiking trails. He called 911 and the police were able to locate him with the built-in GPs and guided him out without ever leavingn their squad cars. He was omly a mile from the road but he didn't know that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 09:17 pm
That's what they're good for, alright. Getting continuous directions to someone's house in a strange town is a big time saver, too.

Oh, reality check. My phone bill actually runs 42.95 including caller id and voice mail, and no other options.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 05:29 am
I don't use my cell phone a lot. In fact, very few people have my number. But for certain things, the phone is a wonderful convenience. I use Cingular, which has rollover minutes. That means that any unused prime time minutes will "roll over" the next month. You lose it after a year, but I have lots of minutes that I can use when I need them.

When I went out west on a trip with my husband last year, I would pick up the discount motel coupon books. When we were near a place that we wanted to stop for the night, I would call the motel, and see if they were taking the coupons on that night, Very convenient.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Cell_phones/2001-3504_7-0.html?tag=glnav

C Net has excellent reviews for cell phones.

http://www.myrateplan.com/

You can check out different plans.

There is a dizzying array of cell phones from which to choose. Unless you buy an "unlocked" phone, which is full price, but can be used with many different providers, you have to choose one service provider, and are usually obliged to commit to a 1 or two year contract. There usually is an escape clause, where you have the option of returning the phone, and even stopping service without penalty, usually in the first 15-30 days if you don't care for the service.

It is not a good idea to buy a phone in a mall kiosk. The salesmen have to be paid, and the prices are usually higher than buying right off the internet from the provider itself. As a new customer, you can often get a very good phone for little or no cost (but remember that there is a contract).What I have done in the past is to check out the phones in a store or kiosk, and then bought on the internet.

There are phones that do little more that make calls, but some of them do everything but shine your shoes. You need to decide what you want from the phone too. Size also matters. Will you slip the phone in your pocket, or clip it to your waistband?

Most phones have cameras built in now. No they are not as good as regular cameras, but they take a decent picture that can be sent to a friend. There are phones that have text messaging, and can play tunes. My brother has a phone that has a GPS system. Understand though, that using these features will add to the bill.

Do your homework, and then choose a plan and phone that is right for you. Good luck.

P.S. I was a just a little younger than you when I got my first cell phone, and now I don't know what I did without it!!!
0 Replies

williep545

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 05:38 am
1st Cell Phone
roger wrote:
In addition to a land line, or instead of. If the former, I've been through this and settled on a prepaid usage deal like Tracphone. The rates will eat you alive if you use it much. If you only use it for traveling, for example, you will save a fortune over monthly charges.

Anyway, that's something to look into if that's your situation.

Thank you. I will look into 'Tracphone'.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 05:47 am
Rog- How is the Tracphone in terms of reception, sensitivity, coverage area, etc? How does it compare with a regular cell phone?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 05:48 am
Very Happy Very Happy
Quote:
A friend of mine found himself lost on the hiking trails. He called 911 and the police were able to locate him with the built-in GPs and guided him out without ever leavingn their squad cars. He was omly a mile from the road but he didn't know that.
Very Happy Very Happy

We shall call him Jeremiah Johnson.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 05:56 am
Found this article on C Net. Looks interesting:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3504_7-6260217-1.html

Whether you get a prepaid phone, or a phone on contract, make sure that your service does not charge roaming fees (extra charges when the phone has to access another carrier where your carrier does not have service). If you like to yak with Aunt Tillie in Timbuctu, your charges can mount up very quickly.
0 Replies

williep545

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:35 am
1st Cell Phone
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I don't use my cell phone a lot. In fact, very few people have my number. But for certain things, the phone is a wonderful convenience. I use Cingular, which has rollover minutes. That means that any unused prime time minutes will "roll over" the next month. You lose it after a year, but I have lots of minutes that I can use when I need them.

When I went out west on a trip with my husband last year, I would pick up the discount motel coupon books. When we were near a place that we wanted to stop for the night, I would call the motel, and see if they were taking the coupons on that night, Very convenient.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Cell_phones/2001-3504_7-0.html?tag=glnav

C Net has excellent reviews for cell phones.

http://www.myrateplan.com/

You can check out different plans.

There is a dizzying array of cell phones from which to choose. Unless you buy an "unlocked" phone, which is full price, but can be used with many different providers, you have to choose one service provider, and are usually obliged to commit to a 1 or two year contract. There usually is an escape clause, where you have the option of returning the phone, and even stopping service without penalty, usually in the first 15-30 days if you don't care for the service.

It is not a good idea to buy a phone in a mall kiosk. The salesmen have to be paid, and the prices are usually higher than buying right off the internet from the provider itself. As a new customer, you can often get a very good phone for little or no cost (but remember that there is a contract).What I have done in the past is to check out the phones in a store or kiosk, and then bought on the internet.

There are phones that do little more that make calls, but some of them do everything but shine your shoes. You need to decide what you want from the phone too. Size also matters. Will you slip the phone in your pocket, or clip it to your waistband?

Most phones have cameras built in now. No they are not as good as regular cameras, but they take a decent picture that can be sent to a friend. There are phones that have text messaging, and can play tunes. My brother has a phone that has a GPS system. Understand though, that using these features will add to the bill.

Do your homework, and then choose a plan and phone that is right for you. Good luck.

P.S. I was a just a little younger than you when I got my first cell phone, and now I don't know what I did without it!!!

Thank you for such thorough, clear, and helpful advice. You're response was what I was really hoping to receive.

B.P.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:46 am
Sometimes I have to drive through the desert. If my car ever broke down I would be lost without a cell phone.
0 Replies