Does evolution have a goal?

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 11:22 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Two big problems with your statement.

1. How can a process have a "goal"?

Rivers over time have been observed to wear down their paths to create canyons. Would you say that the river's "goal" is to create a canyon?

2. What do you mean by "advanced"? Is the modern earthworm more "advanced" than a T. Rex?

Certainly with more time, a process based on mutations can produce more complex variations of life... but there are many examples where later variations are simpler than the earliear variations.

But without a way to tell if beings without tails are more "advanced" than beings with tails, this is a question that is too vague to have an answer.

A process can very easily have a goal: An algorithm is just such a process. By definition, and algorithm is a well-ordered procedure that, given an initial state, will arive at a determined end-state (goal).

And actually, I would say that an earthworm is in fact, NOT more advanced than a T-Rex, who obviously had a major central nervous system, immune system and the like. The modern earthworm does not.

I think it would be better to say that the modern day humanoids are more advanced, and possibly "super," when compared to those of 3000 years ago.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 11:24 am
Oh, and "simpler" does not at all mean "less advanced."
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 11:38 am
No a process can not have a goal-- it is people who have goals. If you design an algorithm... it is your goal, not the algorithms goal.

I drive my car to work... my goal is to get to work. It is questionable if my car even knows it is going to work. If it does, it certainly doesn't consider getting to my job as a goal-- it would probably prefer to go to the beach.

Goal is not the same as "determined end state". My determined end state is death (as in if you accept the restrictions of modern science and our it is near certain that in 100 years my state will be death). Death is not my goal-- my goal is to get a betetr car before the time of my death.

You are correct that a process can have a "determined end state (if you mean a state that can be mathematically predicted with a high degree of reliability."

There are many examples of this-- for example, if I drop a rock I am pretty certain that it will undergo a process of falling. I can be quite sure of its path. This point seems to me to be quite uninteresting especially in light of this discussion.

However, there are also many processes that don't have a "determined end state". There are mathematical proofs of this backed up by experiment (i.e. both mathemeticians and phycists agree on this). Specific examples include Lorentz attractors from mathematics, and dual slit experiments from observational physics.

So there are process with a "determined end state" and processes without a "determined end state".

I am simply stating (and can back up with both reason and observation) that Evolution is one example of a process with no "determined end state"

What do you disagree with (other than arguing about whether processes can have goals which seems more an argument about words than anything else)?

Is there anything here? What are we arguing about?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 11:49 am
Reading with interest. Thanks
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 11:52 am
ebrown_p wrote:
No a process can not have a goal-- it is people who have goals. If you design an algorithm... it is your goal, not the algorithms goal.

I drive my car to work... my goal is to get to work. It is questionable if my car even knows it is going to work. If it does, it certainly doesn't consider getting to my job as a goal-- it would probably prefer to go to the beach.

You are soooo wrong. If I design an algorithm to do a job, it is my goal AND the goal of the algorithm. And you car is in NO way a procedure or algorithm. Your example is useless. As far as the car is concerned, I imagine it would rather go to work than the beach, being that salt water is corrosive to the steel in the car. :-D

Quote:

Goal is not the same as "determined end state". My determined end state is death (as in if you accept the restrictions of modern science and our it is near certain that in 100 years my state will be death). Death is not my goal-- my goal is to get a betetr car before the time of my death.

You are correct, but only if you look at a specific time. There is an algorithm that draws these pixels on my screen and refreshes them, it's called the OnDraw() function. However, over the "life" of this program, the "goal" is to view webpages and let me interact. That doesn't negate the end-result of the smaller algorithm.

Quote:

You are correct that a process can have a "determined end state (if you mean a state that can be mathematically predicted with a high degree of reliability."

I don't believe the definition of "end state" requires any mathematic prediction.

Quote:

There are many examples of this-- for example, if I drop a rock I am pretty certain that it will undergo a process of falling. I can be quite sure of its path. This point seems to me to be quite uninteresting especially in light of this discussion.

However, there are also many processes that don't have a "determined end state". There are mathematical proofs of this backed up by experiment (i.e. both mathemeticians and phycists agree on this). Specific examples include Lorentz attractors from mathematics, and dual slit experiments from observational physics.

If there is no determined end-state for the Lorentz phenomenon, why is there a formula for the specific contraction of an object as a function of its speed?

And I really don't see how the dual-split experiment is a "procedure" at all. I really can't see what wave-particle duality has to do with any of this. You are talking about properties of energy and matter, NOT A PROCESS.

Quote:

So there are process with a "determined end state" and processes without a "determined end state".

I am simply stating (and can back up with both reason and observation) that Evolution is one example of a process with no "determined end state"

You are comparing apples and oranges. And I never said there was a "goal" of evolution. There really is no way for us to know that until we can observe the end of evolution. I was simply pointing out that a process can have a goal.

Quote:

What do you disagree with (other than arguing about whether processes can have goals which seems more an argument about words than anything else)?

Is there anything here? What are we arguing about?

I was simply pointing out a flaw in your argument.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:05 pm
ebrown_p is correct.

"Goal direction" implies a "desired end state" (see cybernetics) Unless we evoke a reductionist argument for "desire" in terms of say "neural processes" then process of itself cannot have a goal.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:18 pm
fresco wrote:
ebrown_p is correct.

"Goal direction" implies a "desired end state" (see cybernetics) Unless we evoke a reductionist argument for "desire" in terms of say "neural processes" then process of itself cannot have a goal.

I don't believe that desire has anything to do with an goal or end-state. Actually, the dictionary definition of goal is "the end toward which effort is directed." The end state of a process can definitely be undesireable, but that doesn't change the fact that it IS the end-state or the goal of that process.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:44 pm
From Wikpedia "Cybernetics".

The main innovation of cybernetics was the creation of a scientific discipline focused on goals: an understanding of goal-directedness or purpose, resulting from a negative feedback loop which minimizes the deviation between the perceived situation and the desired situation (goal).
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:49 pm
fresco wrote:
From Wikpedia "Cybernetics".

The main innovation of cybernetics was the creation of a scientific discipline focused on goals: an understanding of goal-directedness or purpose, resulting from a negative feedback loop which minimizes the deviation between the perceived situation and the desired situation (goal).

Their definition of goal doesn't change the ACTUAL definition of goal. Gonna have to do better than that. Find me a well-known dictionary where the definition of "goal" requires desire, then I'll tell you that you're right.

http://m-w.com/dictionary/goal
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:58 pm
Your link yields

"the end toward which effort is directed"

.....if you think this is not synonymous with "desire" please explain how.

I am assuming we are not talking about high school physics explanations of "machines" in terms of disembodied "load and effort" (notwithstanding that a "machine" had a "designer" anyway !)
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:58 pm
So all of this is fun and al, but I think it's safe to say that the author of this thread didn't mean to say that evolution desires to do anything. I'm pretty sure what he/she meant to ask was if evolution had a purpose (or end-point).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:59 pm
Since the primary means of expressing evolutionary change has been adaptation to a changing environment, to imply a goal is as ridiculous as stating that the changes in the environment over time were also "goal driven"

As the biological diversity expands through time, experimental options , so well adapted to one environmnet just go extinct in another.Just because we are here doesnt imply any advance over our overall environment. We, like cockroaches, will rely on numbers alone to withstand a major environmental insult.

"Nature Bats Last"--Sheila O'hara
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 01:01 pm
I see no reason to think effort means anything else. And if you are asserting that all processes must have a designer, I assume you support Intelligent Design?
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 01:06 pm
Effort (as defined in Merriam-Webster)
"4 : effective force as distinguished from the possible resistance called into action by such a force
5 : the total work done to achieve a particular end"

Now, the first 3 definitions involve a human desire, but it is not necessary to the definition.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 04:19 pm
USAFHokie80

I certainly do not subscribe to any form of creationism. Shocked You seem to have lost the plot here with the semantics. Certain words like "effort" and "goal" are always associated with an animate or conscious "agent" and others like "process" need not be. The argument is whether evolution is a process which has such as agent or not and my argument is not. I cite Prigogine's work above as evidence.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 04:21 pm
Quote:
And actually, I would say that an earthworm is in fact, NOT more advanced than a T-Rex, who obviously had a major central nervous system, immune system and the like. The modern earthworm does not.

Of course earthworms have immune systems. All animals have immune system. You can read about their version of natural killer cells here, for instance.

(want to see how much we can quibble over irrelevant minutiae, since the main question is moot.)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 04:54 pm
After millions of years, the process of evolution produced my daughter-- that incredibly beautiful, intelligent and precious organism you see there on the left.

The amazing million year process which led to her conception is the best reason I can think of for evolution, thermodynamics, immune systems or anything else in this universe.

So, if you say that she is the "goal" of evolution-- I won't argue with you.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 05:52 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
So all of this is fun and al, but I think it's safe to say that the author of this thread didn't mean to say that evolution desires to do anything. I'm pretty sure what he/she meant to ask was if evolution had a purpose (or end-point).
Pretty much correct, whether intelligently directed or not.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:45 pm
USA, let's suppose I accept your idea that there is an "end-point" (and that my daughter isn't the end point you are looking for).

What would happen after we reach the end-point?

Are we really talking about an end here... is it all over after that?

... or do we just stop "advancing" (on whatever undefined path we are advancing on) and just stay in one spot?

Or, do we then start regressing.

My question is whether "end-point" can be anything more than vague subjective judgement.

How would we know an "end-point" if and when one comes along.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:53 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
USA, let's suppose I accept your idea that there is an "end-point" (and that my daughter isn't the end point you are looking for).

What would happen after we reach the end-point?

Are we really talking about an end here... is it all over after that?

... or do we just stop "advancing" (on whatever undefined path we are advancing on) and just stay in one spot?

Or, do we then start regressing.

My question is whether "end-point" can be anything more than vague subjective judgement.

How would we know an "end-point" if and when one comes along.
You mean no warning sign?
Caution!
Evolution Ends in
200 Parsecs!
Fasten your Species!
0 Replies