baby hummer

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 10:47 am
In terms of evolution if single-motherhood didn't work for the humming birds, there wouldn't be hummingbirds.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 02:49 pm
I know Noddy; just indulging in a bit of anthropomorphing.

Guess that's why dragonflies engage in rough sex.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 04:17 pm
Diane--

I've been watching the tufted titmouse family educating the kids about harvesting black oil sunflower seeds. Landing on the perch of a feeder takes some tricky flying--and several tries.

Also one dim bulb perched on the chain of the feeder and kept pecking the chain hoping for a little nourishment.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 04:30 pm
Awe yes Dys, I know how you feel. Nature is great. We have a couple of rabid Pitbulls breading in the Ally. They like to play with a the little kids on the way home from school. Our High School track team has never been stronger.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 04:34 pm
I saw the title of this thread and thought MAN!!! I myself have been known to skirt the line of good taste but..... a baby hummer? I was going to call the authorities.....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 04:51 pm
we were saving the use of that particular train of thought just for you BVT. you came through wonderfully.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 05:23 pm
Noddy, I laughed at the mental image of the rather slow tufted titmouse hitting up the chain for a meal. He won't be a great addition to the gene pool, will he?

Amigo, yikes, tough neighborhood. Do the pitbulls protect the local crack house?

Farmerman, perfect. BVT, you deserved that one.

Good news--I got to watch mom feed her baby.

Sad news--I'm pretty sure there used to be two babies. Sigh. Nature is heartless.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:16 pm
farmerman wrote:
we were saving the use of that particular train of thought just for you BVT. you came through wonderfully.

I would rather die than let you guys down.....
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:35 pm
Diane wrote:

Amigo, yikes, tough neighborhood. Do the pitbulls protect the local crack house?

It's random terror. I think their in Al qaeda. They might be eating crack.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 03:02 pm
I just watched a mid-air collision between the dimwitted tufted titmouse and a fledgling chickadee. Both survived.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 10:54 am
The baby left the nest. He is now zooming around going the the salvia, zinnias, petunias, climbing rose and hollyhock--and the feeders.

I thought that his/her leaving would make me tear up, but it is exhiliarating to see the little body zooming, zipping and soaring with all the energy and life of the mother. And that is the joy, to see them flying free.

I hope mom or baby will nest there next year.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 11:54 am
Diane--

Parenthood is bittersweet--even when the child is a Featherbaby.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 09:56 pm
Oh Noddy, bittersweet it is. At least we will have the pleasure of seeing them for the rest of the summer and possibly, next year.
0 Replies