Tree Fertilizer

sozobe

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 08:53 am
So my dogwood is looking sad. We've had a parade of tree guys giving estimates for trimming various big trees (elms, cottonwoods), and one took a close look at the dogwood when he was here and said that at some point mulch had been heaped around its base too high and killed some of the bark. He suggested giving it lots of water and fertilizer and hoping for the best.

Any suggestions for type of fertilizer?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,142 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 09:30 am
check Jobe's tree spike fertilzers
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 09:34 am
ouch - dogwoods (well many trees) don't like having stuff around their trunks - dirt or mulch.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 09:50 am
littlek wrote:
ouch - dogwoods (well many trees) don't like having stuff around their trunks - dirt or mulch.

very true
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 10:04 am
I always cringe when I see mulch volcanos around the base of trees. I use jobe's spikes too Soz. Follow the directions for where to place them.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 07:11 pm
Dont fertilise sick trees soz. They either die or recover. it could take a year or so to die if its any sort of size.

Adding fertiliser will stimulate a growth spurt in order to achieve this growth the tree will attempt to transport water and food through the root system and up the trunk via the cambium layer just under the outer bark. it depends on howmuch effect the collar rot has had on the cambium layer as to whether the tree will be able to transport the nutrient. If the tree can transport small amounts it will stimulate growth and call for more water to support this growth If the cambium layer is damaged it may not be able to transport the required water and die. Possibly your tree man has assesed the damage and feels there is insufficiant damage to cause problems. slow release fertiliser would be best. osmocoat is a brand name here. Any of the organic types would do if you wish to follow the advice.

Basic rule of thumb for fertilising any plant. Nitrogen for green growth posphorus for stems, root systems, and woody parts, and pottassium for fruit and flowers.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 06:55 pm
My dogwood done died.

Dammit.

First symptom --> death was incredibly fast, I don't quite get it. When I asked this, it didn't look great but had lots of leaves that were green (if a bit wilty), etc. Now it has brown-to-black shriveled leaves, not a trace of green, and looks just completely done for. Unless someone tells me that even at that stage it could rejuvenate, I plan to just remove it and after a while put something else there.

Grr.

Our neighbor says that he tried to grow dogwoods in his yard several times, and each time it would live for a few years and then just die on him, so he gave up. He didn't seem too surprised.

The good news is that I learned a ton about possible replacements in my previous topic about filling "the hole," bad news is that what I'd love to plant is the Cornus Kousa "Wolf Eyes" littlek talked about. (It's a kind of dogwood.)

Grr grr and double grr.

I'll keep investigating, see what I can find out.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:14 pm
I'm not much of a fertilizer person, being from an area in LA with totally great soil, and also of the opinion that it might be smart to deal with native soil, and besides all that I am cheap and lazy.

So, by nature I am not all gung ho on making soil great for azaleas when the natural soil isn't interested. Not to get into the business about the aquifers...

Makes sense to pick very microclimate natives now that my land now is all sand. Yah, ya, ya yah ya... says my lot. We'll see, I'm torn, still choosing.

But, re dogwoods in Ohio, I dunno.

I planted two Cornus capitata in my front yard in north north, and they did astoundingly well with no help from me. So, my first advice is get the plant for the space, not that I am so bright re what plant for what space in your yard. I don't know a damn thing about Ohio natives in sun or shade. Not to say Cornus capitata was native to north north. But the conditions in my exredwood forest yard might have been right.
0 Replies