can science always do good to our world?

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:38 am
now as the fast development of science ,our society is also go fast together.but sometimes it is not a good thing.do you think so?what's you opinions on this question?thank you!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 652 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:49 am
The atomic bomb was a product of science.Whether that was good, bad or neutral is a matter of personal perspective. Knowledge has the potential to do good but it also has the potential to do damage. It's how it's used that decides whether it's outcome is good or bad.
0 Replies

linda306bbs

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:58 am
good or bad
Razz thank you very much!!!yes you are right.i'm agree with you.i think our people should try our best to aviod the damage to ourselves.call more people to think about it. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 03:59 pm
Finding out how things actually work is always a better idea than just accepting what someone else has to say about the world without reservation.

Science is the Scientific Method.
It's the way of finding out how things actually are.
0 Replies

galaxy

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 02:55 pm
no, the moving forward of science is not always a good thing. For example genetics could be a great thing, but there is a major downfall to improving genetics. For instance, say a geneticist develops a way to mutate a gene in insects which allows insects with an appetite for harmful insects, to have a bigger stomache so to speak. That would be good, but what if it was reversed. Say an organization, we'll use terrorists in this case wants to do harm, and steals said genetic secrets on how to improve an insects genetics. What if they made harmul crop eating insects have a larger appetite, and reproduce at 20 times their current rate? And turned em loose on western european crops, or even north american crops. I know it sounds a little far fetched, but recently, geneticists developed a hybrid butterfly to do something along the lines of this. I can't remember what. I apologize. But for every good side of science, there can always be a negative.
0 Replies