Selling puppies... how much to charge? Details inside...

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 04:41 pm
Hi all,

My dog gave birth to puppies about two months ago. I'm keeping one and selling the other two, but I have no idea what to charge for them. Any ideas what's a reasonable amount to ask for?

Here is the info:
Mother is a Rottie, father is a German Shepard (both purebreds, but no papers for either).
The pups got their shots and are otherwise healthy, active and social.

We are more concerned that they go to good homes, so all we are interested in is recouping the costs of shots, food, and a little extra for our time in caring for them (we built a pen for them in the backyard so they have lots of room to run in).

I have absolutely no idea what puppies like this would be worth, so I'm open to any ideas you may have. Thanks!

(by the way, if you're in NY and are interested in puppies, PM me Very Happy )

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/9878/pup13iq.jpg
http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/1636/pup21wu.jpg
http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/8487/pup32zl.jpg
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8580/pup42hw.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,064 • Replies: 9
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 04:46 pm
How much has each puppy cost you so far in food, shots and the fence?

Mixed breed dogs usualy go for about 50.00 each , that I can see here in Austin.

Can you find papers on the parents?
That might help you get MORE for the doggies.

If you are more concerned with them getting a good home, keep your price low to attract many people , then weed out the applicants.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 07:04 am
Mixed breeds are tough to price....your pups look great though. They look mostly German Shepard. Cuties for sure.

Anyway, Shewolf is right...$50 sounds appropriate maybe a bit more if you've had them all wormed and have all their shots. Couple things before selling them...

1- Make sure they don't have round worms. Most puppies are born with or get them. But don't push that on to the new owner. :wink:

2- Make sure they have all shots current (like you do!)

3 - Get them started on housebreaking. Shouldn't be too hard since you have the mother to show them what to do.

4 - Get them started on puppy food. I know this may sound like a no brainer but seriously, the "breeder" i rescued my pup from hadn't introduced any food yet. Putting her on hard food right away, combined with the stress of a new home and we had a serious backdoor problem. Let the person buying the pup know what they are on and if you can, give them a little of the food to help them wean the pup onto the food they will be feeding.

I'd take what you paid for shots and worming and food and sell them for that. Explain to the potential buyers what the price includes. A good pet owner will appreciate that you've taken good care of the pups before hand and won't mind paying a little extra. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:24 am
Gorgeous puppies, JAO...

(did you ever figure out where you'll go on vacation?)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 12:49 pm
Check with your local Animal Shelter and charge their adoption fees--or a bit higher.

Lots of people don't realize how much maintaining a dog costs these days and there are some people who won't pay the vet to treat a "free" dog.

These days a "good home" means fiscally solvent as well as kind and loving.

I would charge somewhere between $75 and $125 depending on your local standard of living.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 01:54 pm
Thanks for all the help!

I'm getting the word out, and I've already gotten some inquiries. As for price, I figure I'll be asking for $70 negotiable. It covers the expenses, and even if I drop it to $50, I'll pretty much break even.

As for housebreaking, I haven't started that yet (I keep them outside, since it's warm enough), but I have started other training, mostly on the behavioral side (not to bite too much, control their urge to "maul" you when you first show up after work- hyperness from affection type stuff).

They are pretty much weaned off their mothers milk and eating puppy chow, so that's a good sign (although it's no fun cleaning up after more substantial "packages" they're leaving around now, lol)

Lots of people don't realize how much maintaining a dog costs these days and there are some people who won't pay the vet to treat a "free" dog.

That is a good point, and I'll be clear to potential buyers of the importance of proper dog care (although if it's clear that I have to "convince" them of such, they won't get the dog, since that's just the type of person I won't sell to).

So far, I have a potential buyer for "Bear" (the big one), who's current dog is unfortunately very old and sick and will have to be put down soon. I think he'll be very happy with my pup Very Happy

Thanks again, your help is GREATLY appreciated!

BTW, ossobuco , the trip is ON! I got a killer deal on a London/Paris/Amsterdam package, all inclusive! Yes! (thanks for askin', it just put me in an even better mood than I was already in today...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 02:00 pm
Wonderful, wonderful, all good news.

There's another thread on dog food, probably in this Pets and Garden forum.. discussing brands, as some brands have more filler in them than others, thus producing being poop pies...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 02:07 pm
LINK to dog food thread
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 02:46 pm
$50.00 - $70.00 sounds real good. I can almost promise that the more people pay for a pet, the better they will treat it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 06:34 am
Your dogs are nice looking dogs, so I don't think that's too much.

Especially considering the time and effort you've put into raising them.

A good pet owner will understand this and happily spend the money.
0 Replies