science question

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 06:24 am
Please help me with this question :- How is sugar extracted from beetroot?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 738 • Replies: 7
No top replies

fresco

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:35 am
http://www.sucrose.com/lbeet.html
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:40 pm
Re: science question
clevercat wrote:
Please help me with this question :- How is sugar extracted from beetroot?

It isn't.
Sugar is extracted from sugar beet.

Beetroot

Sugar Beet
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:53 pm
There's sugar in beetroot too.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 04:01 pm
There's some form of sugar in almost everything.
Even the most bitter things are sweet in their own way. :wink:
The point is that you do not use beetroot to get sugar from. You use sugar beet to get sugar from.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 05:14 pm
Only when you have some.

You might use beetroot if you hadn't.

The question was "How do you extract sugar from beetroot".

It wasn't whether or not it made economic sense to do so.

Can't you read plain English?
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 12:15 am
Well if you can't read my plain English I sugget you take some courses to improve your grasp of the language.

I also invite you to provide us with several examples of people extracting sugar from beetroot.
Examples that we can all see and learn from since clearly you are better informed.
Perhaps you could tell us how sugar is also extracted from cockroaches or wood or industrial effluent ?

I await elucidation with baited breath.
0 Replies

Adele2473

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:08 am
If you click on this website.....
http://www.sugarontheweb.com/saga.php?rubr=4&srubr=9&PHPSESSID=a5c710dc6b77d4c24cd3c49cd360c648

it should help you.

Also from the website I got this for you

STAGES OF PRODUCTION

1. Delivery. The sugar beet is delivered to the factory by growers located within a 30-km radius. Storage time is kept to a minimum in order to preserve the sugar content.

2. Washing. The sugar beet is moved to washers fitted with agitator blades to remove soil, weeds and stones.

3. Slicing. The washed sugar beet is then put through slicing machines that cut it into thin slices called "cossettes".

4. Extraction. The sugar juice is extracted from the cossettes by diffusion in a long cylinder in which hot water circulates in the opposite direction to the cossettes. In a process rather like brewing tea in a pot, the sugar from the cossettes gradually passes into the water.

5. Purification. The juice extracted contains all the sugar from the sugar beet, as well as impurities (mineral salts) which are removed by adding milk of lime and carbon dioxide and then filtering.

6. Evaporation. The filtered juice contains around 13% sugar and 87% water. It is heated to boiling point and then passed through a series of evaporator pans to convert it to syrup containing 65-70% sucrose.

7. Crystallisation. Tiny sugar crystals are added to the pans to start crystal formation. The mixture of crystals and syrup (or "mother liquor") is known as "massecuite".

8. Centrifugal treatment. The massecuite is spun in centrifuges to separate the sugar from the syrup. The sugar settles on the sides of the centrifuge and is then washed with clean hot water to produce white sugar crystals.

Extraction is just part of the production. Hope it helped.

In West Indian History, beet was one product used to produce sugar. I do not know if they still use it today.
0 Replies