Pissed Off at Cingular

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 12:52 pm
I have been a Cingular Wireless customer for probably over 6 years. I have had my eye on the Razr phone, but did not feel like shelling out a lot of money for it.

Anyhow, a couple of weeks ago, I got a letter from Cingular offering me a decent rebate. The offer said that the rebate information would come under separate cover from the phone. I got the rebate letter today, and I am pissed off. Instead of sending you a check, Cingular will send you a Visa debit card. From what I can gather, it is similar to a gift card that you can buy in some stores, but that it is connected with Visa, and can be used in any store that takes Visa. There is a time limit on when you can used the card before it expires.

I called up, and the woman from Cingular said that she had had many complaints, but Cingular is no longer issuing rebate checks. What sticks in my craw, is that nothing was mentioned about Visa in the original offer. It said something vague about getting a "rebate card".

Personally, when I get a rebate, I prefer cash on the barrelhead. I also don't like the idea of an expiration date.

What do you think? Have you had any experiences with deals like this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,111 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:12 pm
I do a lot of rebating, and sometimes have the choice of a gift card, if it's something that can be pretty much used anywhere. At walgreens they add 10% onto your rebate if you chose a walgreens card.

How much is the card for? What's the time limit?

You can just spend it at the grocery store, and/or to gas up the car, can't you?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:26 pm
Chai- The card is for $100-. When I sent it in, the rebate form said that to expect to get the card in 10-12 weeks. It then is good for 120 days, ( I don't know when the 120 days start)

Yes, I can spend it anywhere that they take Visa, which is just about anywhere, but I think that the entire rigamarole sucks. It just occurs to me that Cingular is losing a lot less money because of the "float", ie checks sent out would be spent much faster.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:42 pm
Yeah, and in addition, they're banking that you forget about the card, or don't spend all of it before the time is up.

I would guess it's good for 120 from the time they sent it to you.

Yeah, just fill up your vehicles and if there's any left, spend it at the supermarket.

That's what I'd do.

You know, I heard that 50% of people who buy something that has a rebate attached never send in for their money...Stores love that. They also love selling gift cards, hoping they end up in a drawer somewhere.

How's the razer phone working out?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 02:12 pm
Chai- I like it, although I have had phones with louder speakers. I find that I have to keep it on the highest volume, and my hearing is fine. My old phone did not have a speakerphone, and this one does, which is nice. I usually wear the phone clipped to my waist, and I find that this phone feels more comfortable than my other one, because of its profile.

I do not use a lot of the "bells and whistles", like Bluetooth or Media, but the phone has both. All in all, I am happy with the phone.
0 Replies