Walter found little Walter ...

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 12:15 pm
... on a photo on the cd-version of a book.

The history society of my native town has a research group dealing with the history of the Jews in that town.

http://i4.tinypic.com/16bizaw.jpg

A couple of years ago, they published a book with photos and various other sources about the Jews and the Jewish cemrtary there.

This year, some new material was added and all pressed on a cd together with a couple of newer (and older) reports.

Some Jewish families are described in a longer way - because they are of special interest (like the ancestors of the Rosenthal porcellaine factory or the family of the wellknown writer Else Lasker-Schüler, others just because there are many sources.

You may imagine that can't find photos from houses and places of a smaller rural Westphalian in 17th/16th century. So, other older photos were used to show them.

Like this one, from the mid-1950's, with little Walter running in front of .... no idea, who they were :wink:

http://i5.tinypic.com/16bj21s.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,234 • Replies: 26
No top replies

kitchenpete

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 12:34 pm
That's wonderful! Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 12:42 pm
Wow! Is that really you, Walter? Fantastic.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 12:44 pm
You run a little slower now, Walter, don't you? Laughing
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 12:45 pm
I thought that was Walter Klinnsmann in front.

nice pictures Walter thanks

Where in Geseke, do you remember, down the main street perhaps?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 12:48 pm
Was it the Ice cream van Walter?

love the picture
x
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:01 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

The street, which passes the market place and then becomes 'our' street - our house is somewhere in back of the photo, on the left side.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:04 pm
smorgs wrote:
Was it the Ice cream van Walter?

A café, selling their homemade icecream, was our neighbourg ... and I didn't know what an ice cream van was until I was 14 ... and saw my first in England :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:07 pm
Did you lose some weight or something? "Hey, haven't seen you for awhile!" Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:10 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

I grew up here (and still my secondary residence :wink: )
http://i5.tinypic.com/16blijl.jpg
and the photo was taken there.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 02:43 pm
Were your ears burning today, Walter? Bob and I had breakfast with some friends and we were telling them what a sweetie you are...well, I described you as a sweetie---Bob was more reserved but just as admiring.

Do you have many old family photos? To me, they are extraordinary treasures, telling stories of people I only knew as very old relatives or people long dead and unknown to me. It brings thier lives to life.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 03:01 pm
We've got some family photos, Diane - but until today I never knew about this photo - it's from a book, and I even don't who took it and when (well, about 1955, perhaps 1956).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 05:24 pm
That's a wonderful photograph, Walter! I love it!
Do you have any idea of who took it & why?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 06:39 pm
msolga, the most amazing part is that he came across little Walter in a book. How many times would you think that would happen?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 06:52 pm
Ah, 1 in a million, Letty? :wink:

Pretty incredible, I agree!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 11:54 pm
msolga wrote:

Do you have any idea of who took it & why?

None at all.
On the cd as well as in the original book the he source is only given as "private" .... and I doubt that someone remembers now from where she/he got that photo ...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 05:44 pm
Walter, do you think a member of your family donated the photo--perhaps knowing the author or at the request of the author?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:12 pm
No, I know all the photos in our family :wink:

I'll ask in archive of my native town, they might know it.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:34 am
Bookmark - I cannot see the photos from my office computer (it blocks the picture sites) so I will see them when I get home....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 05:14 am
I solved the riddle about that photo - well, almost:

there's no source for it, neither in the printed version nor on the cd. But the archive told me that they had used a couple of pictures, photos etc from various "Geseke albums".

An then I suddenly remembered having seen that photo there, 25, 30 years ago, when those books were published.
(A hoppy historian published anecdotes, copied essays, postcards, photos etc from various sources and fom and about various themes and periods ... unfortunately without giving any footnotes about his sources.)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Walter found little Walter ...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 04:28:26