Man sues: dontdatehimgirl.com

Reyn

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 11:24 am
Opinions on this site?

Man Sues Over Web Site Comments
Man Sues Creator of Web Site That Lets Women Dish Dirt on Mendontdatehimgirl.com in which they claim he is unfaithful, among other things, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Thursday.

Hollis filed the suit Thursday in Allegheny County against Tasha C. Joseph of Miami, who created the site, which bills itself as a "cost-effective weapon in the war on cheating men."

Joseph, 33, a former columnist for the Miami Herald, said any man can post a rebuttal on the site.

Lida Rodriguez-Taseff, an attorney representing Joseph, said the site is no different than the proverbial coffee shop where people go and chitchat."

"You would never think of holding the coffee shop owner liable because other people went in and defamed other people," Rodriguez-Taseff said.

Hollis' suit contends Joseph "conspired with disingenuous people whose only agenda is to attack the character of those individuals who have been identified on the site."

Hollis, 38, a criminal attorney for 12 years, also said the site does not have safeguards in place to ensure the truthfulness of items posted on it.

---------------------------------------------------------

Here's the website if you want to check it out:

Don'tDateHimGirl.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,065 • Replies: 20
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 05:24 pm
Such a website...whether about men or women....where people can make public whatever claims they wish about someone else...would seem to me most unfair and unreasonable thing.

Though in some cases warnings would be welcome!

I am not surprised they are being sued.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 05:31 pm
Yes, me as well.

Do you believe what the owner claims that they cannot be held liable, as could a coffee shop owner if someone was venting there?

I'm skeptical.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 05:35 pm
dlowan wrote:
Though in some cases warnings would be welcome

Yes, indeed! It could save a few unfortunates quite a bit of grief if forewarned about habitual predators, etc.... in the best of all worlds. Trouble is, of course, not all posters have integrity. Some could be vindictive nasty pasties themselves! No, not at all surprised that the website is being sued.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 05:45 pm
In Canada (and in Australia??) we have a national database for pedophiles. There's probably a website somewhere.

Would that be considered any differently?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 05:47 pm
I'm certainly no expert on this, Reyn, but I imagine that these pedophiles are actually on record for breaking the law?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 05:50 pm
Reyn wrote:
In Canada (and in Australia??) we have a national database for pedophiles. There's probably a website somewhere.

Yes..to the extent that the paedophiles have to be found guilty via a due legal process.

People cannot just put their names there because they do not like them.

Especially anonymously.

Sigh....it WOULD be nice to be able to warn folk about really nasty folk, though.

I just do not see any fair and reasonable way to do so on a website.

In real life, you can at least weigh up what you think of your informant if someone warns you about somebody.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 05:54 pm
Personally, I think it's a great idea, but I do see trouble ahead for the website owner.

They say that men can email the site for their version (and they'll put in with the original post), but I'm wondering if that's good enough.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 05:56 pm
It's a modern variation of the public bathroom wall/door.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 05:57 pm
They'd need a moderator with nerves of steel & extremely superior wisdom, Reyn! :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 06:06 pm
ehBeth wrote:

Yup, pretty much.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 06:07 pm
msolga wrote:
They'd need a moderator with nerves of steel & extremely superior wisdom, Reyn! :wink:

Yes, and I will be watching for follow-ups.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 06:09 pm
ehBeth wrote:

Yes.....but far more far reaching, and it doesn't get painted over regularly.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 06:17 pm
msolga wrote:

Hmmm...they may have run out of wisdom, then.

I found a fella I have heard of there:

ALLEGED CHEATER
Clark Kent

Dis guy is such an A-HOLE!!!1 He pretends to like me, but then he shouts some bimbo "lois lane's" name when we're havin secks! and whenever superman shows up to save the day or sumtin, HE COMPLETELY DISAPPEARS!!!" what a pussy! he can't evevn stand up 4 himslef even when a superhwro is RIGHT THERE!?!? he's a wimp and a clutz! he has a raelly small pens and gave me herpes! dont date him!1

I am warned. I won't date him.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 06:18 pm
Absolutely potentially more far-reaching, but most people are probably still only going to be interested in checking out who to avoid at their local.

Pros and cons of the internet. I see a fairly wide grey band in this kind of thing. Not so much black/white.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 06:23 pm
dlowan wrote:
msolga wrote:
I found a fella I have heard of there:

ALLEGED CHEATER
Clark Kent

Dis guy is such an A-HOLE!!!1 He pretends to like me, but then he shouts some bimbo "lois lane's" name when we're havin secks! and whenever superman shows up to save the day or sumtin, HE COMPLETELY DISAPPEARS!!!" what a pussy! he can't evevn stand up 4 himslef even when a superhwro is RIGHT THERE!?!? he's a wimp and a clutz! he has a raelly small pens and gave me herpes! dont date him!1

I am warned. I won't date him.

Me, neither!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 04:17 pm
For a good time, call:

OU812
0 Replies

meridas

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 07:45 pm
Reyn wrote:

Here in MA - the online site for pedophiles is for convicted pedophiles/ sex offenders and only certain info is public based on likelihood of reoffending. Some other US states post all offenders (including consensual sex between bf/gf when one is under the age of consent - could be 16 yo boy and 15 yo girl). Bc their conviction is a public matter this is legal, although MA spent a lot of time in court before posting the pics on line....

As for this dating site, I would think it could rise to the level of libel and one could sue if they could show actual damages....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 07:49 pm
That's news to me about consensual mutual underage folks being on that list in some places. Huh.
0 Replies

meridas

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 07:53 pm
Over Easter weekend, this guy went on a killing rampage, murdering people listed on the sex offender registry in NH (I think). The last guy he killed was on the list for consensual sex with his underage girlfriend but NH didn't distinguish that on the listing.

MA does note it but it says "rape of a child, statutory" - statutory meaning no intent required just by virtue of being with someone under the age of consent you are guilty. (Speeding is also a statutory offense, you don't have to intent to speed, just to be caught doing it.) In MA the age of consent is 16, not sure what it is in NH.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Man sues: dontdatehimgirl.com
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 11:23:47