Farwell to A2K

Letty

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 06:05 am
I can. Hi, Rex. Razz
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 06:25 am
Just caught this thread . Glad your not bailing rex. They will always lock threads, its a lesson that many of us have learned by experience. Ive learned to moderate my personal shots when I engage in cross-criticism. Its a good lesson for life. Glad to have you still aboard.

Many of us get all involved in what we feel must be self-evident, not realizing that others opinions, while opposed to ours, are just as self-evident to them. If we fail to communicate on some level, and the thread gets locked as a result, nobody really "wins"

As far as getting involved in some lighter threads, give it a try, cant hurt.
Be like dys or Joe Nation, nobody gets under their skin.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 07:50 am
Hey, Rex.
Many probably wouldn't even have the honesty to admit that exchanges on this forum can touch them emotionally deep enough to hurt like what obviously happened with you. I've had to step back a few times lately, and remind myself that these people will probably not be there if I get deathly sick, if I can't pay my bills, if I really need a shoulder to cry on...

In other words, because I've gotten so emotionally charged (angry or sad) over some exchanges here, I've had to really strain a few times to remember something an older person once told me - "Never cry over someone that won't cry over you". - In the case of the folks at A2K, this was especially apropos.

It's true that this cyber-place gets under one's skin and (though many of the more terminally macho or puffed-up would be loathe to admit it) into one's heart. I've earnestly wondered how differently some of us would treat one another if we could be face to face.

I've settled with the idea that a lot of the hurt comes from the same kind of bravado that we have behind the wheel of our cars - a sort of faux invulnerability and enboldening anonymity that makes us quicker to shoot the proverbial finger, and less answerable to simpler courtesies.

Suffice it to say that it would be a loss to the forum if you really left. And I for one am glad you've chosen to stay and suffer and crow and maybe even (wotta concept!) grow with us.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 07:54 am
Snood you sentimental old softie... come here and give me a hug and run your fingers through my hairy back.... I think I love you.....
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 08:00 am
Yeah, hi BVD.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 08:00 am
Yeah, hi BVT.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 08:27 am
snood wrote:
Yeah, hi BVD.

musta had Dys' underwear thread on your mind, snood Very Happy
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 08:34 am
farmerman wrote:

Many of us get all involved in what we feel must be self-evident, not realizing that others opinions, while opposed to ours, are just as self-evident to them. If we fail to communicate on some level, and the thread gets locked as a result, nobody really "wins"

As far as getting involved in some lighter threads, give it a try, cant hurt.
Be like dys or Joe Nation, nobody gets under their skin.

amen, farmerman! Laughing

rex, i contemplated splitting a couple of months back, but didn't. at least i didn't announce it, but did discuss it privately with another member. anyway, i can't even remember anymore what prompted thoughts of departing. so, your experience probably isn't all that uncommon, and it's nothing to be self-conscious about. and by all means, try out a trivia thread or two, we can never have too many participants in those.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 09:56 am
snood wrote:
something an older person once told me - "Never cry over someone that won't cry over you". - In the case of the folks at A2K, this was especially apropos.

what a bunch of hooey :wink:

this thread is the antithesis of your friends sentiment. Here's a bunch of folks rabidly opposed to what rex espouses...and yet we gather in solace for someone we don't know...and who will never cry for us.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 10:00 am
Yeah, but the thing is that we wouldnt cry over anything RexRed said - and he shouldnt cry about anything we say.

Not because the other is worthless or anything; I'm really glad Rex is staying, and I'm also glad so many came to provide support when he started this thread. But because, well, its not worth it. Who knows why someone says something nasty in a Politics or Religion thread - you dont know what is going on in that person's life. It's sensible to not let what someone in hyperspace says get to you.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 10:08 am
Rex had some difficult crap going on, and it affected his output here.

He acknowledged it, and most people respect that.

I know I do.

Panz--

Thanks for saying that. I felt the same way.

~L
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 10:54 am
panzade wrote:
snood wrote:
something an older person once told me - "Never cry over someone that won't cry over you". - In the case of the folks at A2K, this was especially apropos.

what a bunch of hooey :wink:

this thread is the antithesis of your friends sentiment. Here's a bunch of folks rabidly opposed to what rex espouses...and yet we gather in solace for someone we don't know...and who will never cry for us.

Well, I really don't keep up with Rex that much to know exactly what he "espouses". (I think he's sort of fundie Christian, but I'd have to review threads to be sure). My friends statement isn'a "a bunch of crap" to me. It means not to let what people who really don't know you do and say make you sadder than they would be over what you do and say. Pretty sound advice.

Are you saying that Rex would never offer the same kind of solace?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:05 am
Lash wrote:

I know I do.

Was that in response to my post?

Cause you know, I also wrote "I'm really glad Rex is staying, and I'm also glad so many came to provide support when he started this thread."

I was one of 'em, with my earlier post, I hope ;-)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:24 am
nimh wrote:
Lash wrote:

I know I do.

Was that in response to my post?

Cause you know, I also wrote "I'm really glad Rex is staying, and I'm also glad so many came to provide support when he started this thread."

I was one of 'em, with my earlier post, I hope ;-)

Don't sweat it, nimh - what you said was pretty clear.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:29 am
I know what you / your friend mean, Snood. That would certainly apply to the stranger that cuts you off at the exit, or zooms in front of you at the grocery store, or any other rude human behavior that gets some people upset and into over-reaction mode.

But, just so you know, I'd do whatever I could if you needed help with your bills.

I'd be there if you asked should you become deathly sick.

I'd let you cry on my shoulder anytime you needed to.

Others here have done the same for Bear and me, and no doubt would do so again, just as we would for them.

I, and many other A2Ker's would be there for you. We aren't total strangers. I would be the same to your face as I am here.

The best and worst thing about people is our diversity. It takes all of us to make the world so interesting. I'm glad we're all here.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:33 am
isn't it interesting snood, that although squinney and I have different styles of expression we're both so full of love?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:38 am
Personally, I wouldn't lift a finger to provide comfort or ease to anyone in real life or on a2k. I'm just that kinda guy.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:40 am
dyslexia wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't lift a finger to provide comfort or ease to anyone in real life or on a2k. I'm just that kinda guy.

could you at least pass that phuckin joint over?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:40 am
Well, cowboy. I had that Ivers Johnson rifle all taken apart and boxed up for delivery to you and Diane, address complete, and I'm gonna unbox it now. So there.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:43 am
Letty wrote:
Well, cowboy. I had that Ivers Johnson rifle all taken apart and boxed up for delivery to you and Diane, address complete, and I'm gonna unbox it now. So there.

Trade it for a Line 6 modeling acoustic guitar and I'll give you my address. I'm full of love.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Farwell to A2K
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 02:26:37