It.. is... OVER

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 08:09 am
WE HAVE A HOUSE

Well, we don't HAVE it just this second in time, but as soon as the tenants leave, and I meet with the landlord again on Sunday, we have an apt.

It has been almost 2 months of searching to first find out if there are safe places that we can afford.
Then it was searching for an opening.
Then finding one who would accept Buttercup
Then finding one that was close enough to a bus line
then ....then.......then........
I found one. Smile

And the landlord is a fabulous man.
The apt we are getting is still occupied because the people who are there are behind on their rent and are having a real hard time finding a place to go. The landlord ( george) is giving them all the time they need because he refuses to throw out a family.
Oh my.. that made my heart warm and fuzzy.
Not many landlords are that willing to help people out.
You miss rent, you go. Not with him. He cares about the people who live there and wants only people who are working class and reliable , but can not truthfully afford a high rent.
He doesn't take section 8 because he says there is enough of that for people who need it, but not enough of just affordable housing for those who don't quite qualify for section 8.

He is buying the entire block of apts to turn them into homes for people like us. He busts his butt on his rentals to keep them really nice.
For an 800 sq ft apt, we have some REALLY nice stone flooring, and granite counter tops.
Beautiful dark wood balcony and porch.
His upgrades are not what you would expect for an apt this cheap.

It is 525 a month.
about 60 bucks short of what we were expecting to pay.

I am so happy that we are now safe.

I am so scared that we wont make it.
What if we cant make it? What if our electricity bills are too high?
What if our car breaks down? What if we cant afford food? What if we cant afford basic living expenses? what if we cant afford a phone? what if what if.

It is so tiny though. very very tiny. And that breaks my heart a bit.
But the benefits outweigh the size 100xs over.
A few steps away there is a fenced play area for Bean and Buppy.
The balcony is a GREAT size and we can actually have friends over freely. It is our space. We can ( maybe) even still save money here .
The way the windows are placed, I can realistically open them all up and catch the breeze of a corner apt and help keep our bills down, and the apt clean and aired out. My poor kitty doesn't have to be locked up into a bedroom anymore because MIL doesn't like her and might kick her. We are still in the same neighborhood and close to the same bus stop that takes Ian straight to work so we can cut out our gas bill.
I can keep the same schedule with my clients that I have now with out having to add more drive time. We can still afford to keep Jillian in school. We can even afford a 10.00 a month dial up connection wich is mandatory because that is where I get my customers from.

it is worth it.
but it is so small . Oh boy. Sad

but.. wow. Very Happy
I found us a home.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,002 • Replies: 57
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 08:14 am
Congrats - I'm more than sure that you can do it!!!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 08:29 am
Being on top of each other will be more than compensated for not being on top of MIL, IMO.

Congratulations!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 08:49 am
Absolutly.

And living in a small home never hurt anyone. :-)

It just means we will have to be more creative with our free time and find new things to do outside of the house if we get stir crazy
And I am all for that.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 08:54 am
Shewolf I am so, so happy for you! I know you are excited and you deserve to be.

Now i am going to do something i dont want to do.

dont count your chickens.

Have you signed a lease yet? If not keep looking.

The family in the apartment are behind in the rent that means they will have a hard time finding somewhere else. If the lanlord wont (as you say) force them to move out they could be there for a month or two (or more) yet.

so keep looking

I do so hope everything works out the way you want it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 08:54 am
I personally like small homes. It's easier to keep them clean and they prevent you from accumulating too much crap. Congrats, shewolf! I'm so happy for you.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 09:00 am
Quote:
Have you signed a lease yet? If not keep looking.

Oh yeah.
I am still currently looking. Simply because I would LIKE something bigger.. but I know that may not be a possibility.

I give him the deposit Sunday.
I would have given it to him yesterday but he had the gas company there and was trying to juggle showing me around, helping move in new stoves, phone calls.. you name it.

I told him I want it. He told me I could have it.
No, verbal agreements dont stand up to the actual time it might take to get in there, but I know that, when it opens.. we can move in.
And that is a security net in its self.
I have 4 of my friends who have offered a bedroom if we need it until we move in . SO if mil gets on a kick and pushes us out the door, I have secured a place to go until we get into this ( or another ) apt.

I really want this one though because of the benefits, but I am not limiting my search just yet.
Since I dont have a lease in hand- I dont technically HAVE an apt.
Know what I mean?

<sigh>
but ya, I absolutly understand what you are saying dadpad. 100%.

My gut says we are OK, and that apt is our 'home'.
But my instinct still has me looking at listings and posted wanted ads for apt's. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 09:25 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I personally like small homes. It's easier to keep them clean and they prevent you from accumulating too much crap. Congrats, shewolf! I'm so happy for you.

I agree with that too.

I like big houses, but for the exact reason that I can 'fill them' up.

The way this house is laid out, if we do it just right, we can live in the ENTIRE house .

Meaning.. our computer can go on the wall next to the bedroom and we can keep a good walk area in the bedroom open to get right to the patio with a small chair just by the patio door.
Jillians room is big enough to keep all of her toys in , while still being a nice cosy room for her to sleep in . Everything is wide open so the less we have the bigger it will feel.
We can get a small table to put on the patio and an umbrella and we can eat outside as well as in on our dining room table.

The best part is that Jillian and roam freely in the house.
Here, she can only go into the den and kitchen because she ' cant touch ' MIL's stuff.. Rolling Eyes
So there are no restrictions where we are going and the whole house can stay open to anyone.
When we have company, and lots of it, we can sit our futon up into a second couch area . It is close to the living room so people can still hang out with out being seperated completely from the party.

it will be nice.
I will make it that way. ;-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 09:28 am
Omigod! That is great!!!!!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 09:41 am
Wow - I am SO happy to hear this.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 09:51 am
It's all starting to sound a bit like Freedom.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 09:52 am
> slaps knee<

well I'll be god-damned...

it sure is. Cool
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 10:50 am
Yippee!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:12 pm
Shewolf--

First things to move into your elegant, two-generation home:

A new broom and a box of salt to guarantee good luck.

If you can bury the old broom under the front stoop, this will repel witches. Cutting off the handle is Ok. Under the porch is Ok.

Congratulations!

I'm betting m-i-l will announce that you are deserting her.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:18 pm
On 800 square feet, not all so long ago that wasn't considered a tiny place. Most of the places I grew up in were that small (though not all) and the house we had in Venice for 25 years was something like 750 sq. feet - though we didn't have children. Still, I was a child in what we now consider small houses and apartments. In a lot of ways, it's a much saner way to live than in the larger and larger places now going up across the US and probably in some of the rest of the world too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 01:06 pm
Definitely.

We lived in an ~1,000-sq-foot house in L.A. that was a really good size, it was a 1920's bungalow that was laid out really nicely and felt airy and roomy, no need for anything more. We left when I was 6 months pregnant but I can imagine the three of us living there quite happily.

Is this the one down the street, or another one?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 01:34 pm
it sounds wonderful Very Happy good luck, I hope you'll be really happy there. New home, new business - it's going well. Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 01:48 pm
ossobuco wrote:
On 800 square feet, not all so long ago that wasn't considered a tiny place.

We've got an apartment with 400 square feet - most houses for four or five persons aren't bigger than that here. Embarrassed

(For two persons, apartments have between 250 and 300 square fet - that's exactly the seize, a family can have when getting unemployment benefit.)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 02:03 pm
Shocked

200 square feet?
Good grief. How can a family live in that?

Maybe I am a little more spoiled then need be..

Hoenstly, I am comfortable with the apt.
I think it is more of a reality check as to where we are financialy that is bothering me.

Of course, noone would ever complain in a larger house. Cool

Quote:
I'm betting m-i-l will announce that you are deserting her.

She will have to speak pretty loud for that note to come across.

Im going to be a bitch for a while and not allow her into our home until we are settled and comfortable where we are. I dont need that energy, nor do I want her presence in MY space.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 02:15 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
On 800 square feet, not all so long ago that wasn't considered a tiny place.

We've got an apartment with 400 square feet - most houses for four or five persons aren't bigger than that here. Embarrassed

(For two persons, apartments have between 250 and 300 square fet - that's exactly the seize, a family can have when getting unemployment benefit.)

WOW WALTER!

You must be VERY organized!

I guess you must really keep things put away as soon as you use them huh?

This gives me an idea for another thread.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » It.. is... OVER
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 09:25:04