Is Polka Music Crap or is it a thing of beauty?

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 01:40 pm
Since I was verbally attacked at my opinion that polka music is crap, I wanted to take a poll and let the powers that be at A2K to determine if I should shut my trap about it. So please let me know. Please if you want to verbally attack me, fine - this is not a politically correct thread so do your darnest. If you are offended easily, please leave this thread.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,458 • Replies: 16
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 01:44 pm
Polka is not crap, it is not good enough to be called crap. It should not even be played on A.M. radio.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 01:58 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Polka is not crap, it is not good enough to be called crap. It should not even be played on A.M. radio.

Concurring with The Dys. <nods>
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 03:05 pm
My birth name is of a nationality where I feel fortunate to actually HAVE a vowel in it, so I know whereof I speak.

Below are the lyrics to one of the most beloved polkas known to Poles and Hydrocephalic Idiots

Someone stole the kishka
Someone stole the kishka
Who stole the kishka,
from the butcher's shop?
Who stole the kishka?
Who stole the kishka?
Who stole the kishka?
Someone call the cops!

Fat and round and firmly packed
It was hanging on the rack
Someone stole the kishka
When I turned my back
Who stole the kishka?
Who stole the kishka?
Who stole the kishka?
Someone bring it back!

Someone stole the kishka
Someone stole the kishka
Who stole the kishka,
from the butcher shop?
Who stole the kishka?
Who stole the kishka?
Who stole the kishka?
Someone call the cops!

Yusef found the kishka
Yusef found the kishka
Yusef found the kishka
And he hung it on the rack.
He found the kishka
He found the kishka
He found the kishka
Yusef brought it back
Heeeeeyyyyyyyy
Hey!
huh-huh-huh-huh

Need I say more?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 03:37 pm
Love the real thing.

Don't care for the Americanized versions.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 03:45 pm
It can be fun to dance to if one is drunk enough...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 03:52 pm
It's up there with oompah and men in leather shorts slapping each other or themselves and morris dancing in my view.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 06:56 am
We actually enjoyed watching that in Germany dlowan - we were however, in a beer hall, pretty much tanked.

I lived in a city where there were lots of ethnic groups that seemed to thrive on polka music. My best friend was of that background. She was forced to take accordion music lessons - she despised it. To this day if I even mention the accordion she swears viciously at me. I can remember in horror going to these celebrations with her and her family. They would get out the polka band and dance their hearts out. There was one young man that would dance with all the older ladies. They were all in love in him. My friend and I would make fun of him - even at a young tender age we realized there was something different about him. To this day - none of these women will admit he is gay.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 07:03 am
Uh oh Linkat....don't let the homophobes around here start to think Polka = Gay.

Actually, that might be a good thing, then all the homophobes would stop playing Polkas!

Yeah!

Polkas = Gay!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 07:05 am
OH NO!!!!

I have just uncovered PROOF!!!!

http://www.yagelski.com/sbox/music/begaypolka.gif
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 07:13 am
"Brave Combo" is one of the greatest bands of all time! The Inna Godda Da Vida Polka is terrific. Polka music rocks.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 07:17 am
Chai, you young innocent foorl. "Who stole The Kishka" is a political song wherein the "kishka" represents the natural human condition that was stolen by post war communism. The Yusef refers to the combination of Yusef Tzeroslezki and Bogdan Lis who began the Solidarnoscz movement that began the public display of yearning to be free that resulted in the entire disassembly of communism in Eastern Europe.

Polka music is pretty much **** , just like Xydeco. I fact, if you sang "Who stole the Kishka " in French itd sound like xydeco. Same beat, same instruments (except for the clarinet thats too Jewey)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 07:19 am
I always thought there was something twisted about you boomerang.

And Chai - now that you gave me the lyrics to the most popular polka - I may have to change my vote. Never read such lyrics that touched my heart in such a way.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 07:54 am
I'm with Boomer.

Of course, I'm only allowed to listen to Brave Combo when I'm alone in my car....
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 10:21 pm
I like "something" from every musical genre...polka, would be at the bottom of the list though.

I just checked...out of over 8,000 mp3's on my drive...not one polka to be found. I guess I should find "Roll Out The Barrel"...just to say I have something...well, maybe tomorrow.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 06:42 am
well, the masses have spoken.
0 Replies

imnidiot

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 07:32 pm
There are two types of music I don't like, Polka and Freddy Fender. "Polka til you puke" was one of my sayings in the old days, and it usually took about two notes to gag me. Maybe I missed something when I was a kid (and I'm glad for that), because the area where I live is over-dosed in polka tradition. A friend asked me to play in a polka band once, but I had to decline the offer. I could have become Bulemic from all the puking!
0 Replies