Who listens to AM radio?

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 11:01 am
Yesterday driving home - I decided to put on AM radio. Why the devil would you do that you ask - well the Red Sox were tied and I decided to catch the end of the game (my beloved Ortiz won the game for the Sox by the way). Any how - since I rarely have AM on (except when I hit it by mistake) I wasn't sure which station broadcasts the games. As I flipped through the stations I never realized just how bad AM radio was. The music stations were horrendous. One was even playing polka music for the love of Pete! I thought what sort of miserable creatures listen to this crap?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 942 • Replies: 23
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 11:41 am
I listen to Air America sometimes -- it is carried on an AM station.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 11:54 am
Laughing

That's so funny. I couple of months ago I was sitting downtown in traffic, and my eyes suddenly focused on the AM button of the radio.

"My word, what the deuce could that button be for? I think I'll touch it."

I was instantly transported into another dimension. Time slowed down to such an extent you could say it stopped. My nail polish chipped, and my bowels loosened.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 12:01 pm
Who listens to AM radio?
So what's wrong with polkas, hmmmm?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 12:21 pm
The only socially acceptable place for polka type music is in Germany in a beer hall while you are so tanked that the music actually begins to sound good.

You love polka so much knock yourself out...

http://www.247polkaheaven.com/
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 01:20 pm
oh god....

polkas.....

my father used to play polkas while we ate dinner......

oh god....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 03:05 pm
In the evenings, when the skips are good, I can get AM stations from all over the South. Great for reviving the soul.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 03:13 pm
Hey, AM radio is where I listen to sports talk shows
("the fellowship of the miserable" -- Rick Pitino).

Now THAT'S entertainment!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 07:05 pm
i listen to at least three am stations

am 800 cklw, mostly for local weather and news and max and mike at the movies, a movie talk show

1400 wdtk, a right wing talk station, can't get enough of those loonies, especially the savage nation

1550 cbc, the cbc, canada's national broadcaster, it is relayed on an fm station but the am is a closer, clearer signal
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 07:26 pm
Re: Who listens to AM radio?
Linkat wrote:
As I flipped through the stations I never realized just how bad AM radio was.

Sorry to disagree with you ( not really Razz ) but AM radio in Boston has some excellent talk shows and news shows. As far as music is concerned, I suppose it depends on you taste. What's you taste?
Hip-Hop? Pop-Pop? I enjoy the oldies and there are several stations that do play this type of music.

Embarrassed
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 07:29 pm
George wrote:
Hey, AM radio is where I listen to sports talk shows
("the fellowship of the miserable" -- Rick Pitino).

Now THAT'S entertainment!

You got that right!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 07:50 pm
Re: Who listens to AM radio?
Linkat wrote:
I thought what sort of miserable creatures listen to this crap?

Miserable creatures? Only at Fenway park, paying big bucks to make the Brahmins rich!

Funny I didn't know you were Class conscious. If you work for a living as do most of us in the middle class, than you, my dear,
are a "miserable creature".
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 10:05 am
I find the majority of talk radio shows to be geared toward nut cases, freaks and lonely people. I think some of the sports talk radio o-k, but the even the sports radio talk shows are full of nutcases. I have heard some more lunatics call in with the most inane thoughts. I suppose it could be an amusing sort of thing like watching trailer park trash TV shows.

I like a variety of music including oldies (but perhaps my opinion of an oldie could be different than yours). It does not include polka, or elevator music which is what I came across when flipping through the stations.

I also understand listening to your local station for obvious reasons - we used to when I was a kid - you heard about the school lunch for the week and other town activities and going-ons, but most of what I heard was crap as I was flipping (obviously the Red Sox game was not).

Miller - I don't understand your comment about Classes - never mentioned that it was low class or middle class or high class - I just mentioned it was crap. And I don't understand about paying big bucks to Fenway Park? Is that directed at me or the radio station for broadcasting - I suppose it would cost the radio station a lot of money as there is a huge audience that would listen to these games. My only reference was there was a lot of crappy radio stations on AM. Polka music is crap - elevator music is crap and most talk radio shows are crap.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 12:19 pm
Quote:
Polka music is crap - elevator music is crap and most talk radio shows are crap.

Linnkat: you forgot that the above is your OPINION!

Now in my opinion, the BSO is crap as are the Boston Pops. As far as the Red Sox, the owners are plain crap as evidenced by the fact that they wouldn't invite a single child from the Jimmy Fund to the World Series, for free. Now that madam, is crap.

So you don't like the polka! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 12:32 pm
oh jaysus, have we gotten to the point where we have to stipulate something is your 'opinion' in order to type it out...how phucking PC can you get?.....I'm sure everyone got the clue that Linkat meant it was she taught.

Lighten up Miller, willya already, willya? This is a conversation about AM Radio for christs sake.

I know Exactly what you're talkin' about Linkat.

I can remember listening to AM radio as a little kid, praying my best prayers that it would be a snow day. Remember how they would announce kids birthdays too? Wow, was that cool or what?

I don't know a thing about sports, but I do know about nutcases.

The only time I listen to the radio is when I'm in the car, so many times I'm just looking for mindless entertainment. Boy oh boy, can you find that on AM radio.

Between the conspiracy theorists, extreme religionists, NRA followers and someone who's got a beef about their neighbors bottle brush tree sending them encoded messages to them via their toaster, you can have it all.

Then again, that's just my opinion.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 12:32 pm
I find the sound quality on AM radio hard to take. I grew up on AM radio--including listening on LI to Oriole games and Davidson College hoops games from a station in N.C.--but now I'm an FM snob...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 12:55 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
oh jaysus, have we gotten to the point where we have to stipulate something is your 'opinion' in order to type it out...how phucking PC can you get?.....I'm sure everyone got the clue that Linkat meant it was she taught.

I'm sorry chai tea, I didn't realize English was a 2nd language for you. Very Happy
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 12:57 pm
chari tea quote:

Quote:
so many times I'm just looking for mindless entertainment.

We figured that out, long ago! Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 01:22 pm
Well I am just an upper crust snob. I am simply wasting my time talking to you low-lifes and nutcases here on A2K. This gives me the opportunity to see how the lower class thinks and lives and if this is the way low income class lives (no names mentioned - but obviously I hit a cord), then I am happy to live in my ivory tower.

Miller - please see a previous thread I wrote about people taking me too seriously - I think I caused just a bit of an uproar. For the love of Pete lighten up!

This goes under the category of people taking me seriously. My humor is misunderstood and unappreciated once again. Oh my Lord - just imagine if I posted a serious topic.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 01:24 pm
I think Miller is a closet polka lover! I wouldn't even doubt he plays the accordion.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Who listens to AM radio?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 03:02:45