How many do you read at once?

IzzyCrosswell

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 05:25 pm
lol (x100) When I first read the title of this topic, I had to laugh. At present, I am in the middle of *counts on fingers* I think... four? I'm not quite sure, but... no five! Six! That's right, definately six. I've started so many books I haven't finished, I can't quite guarantee that I've finished any at all! Well, perhaps that was an overexaggerated statement, but I get distracted easily, that's for sure. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:09 pm
My first post in a while...I'm visiting my Mom in NY just now...reading 3- Lovely Bones, The 25th Hour and Ash Wednesday, with several on deck!

Lorna
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:24 pm
Welcome to A2K, Izzy!

As to the topic, let's see...Never more than two, and only one can be a novel. I tend to get so immersed in a story that it's hard to switch gears. Lately, truth be told, I rarely read more than one of anything at a time, though I do read magazines and papers, too...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 07:44 pm
littlek wrote:
Geez, I don't know. I strarted reading about Milan Simecka (I stopped months ago, but am still reading it), I read one article in a collection of literary journalism about AIDS in Africa being tied in with the trans continental trucking world,

(liitle kSmile

heh, I somehow fished this post up in a search (I was searching on AIDs & Africa), but, so ... Simecka? Did you finish the book - which one was it? I read Simecka's political diary of the late eighties (End of Stagnation, it was called in the Dutch translation), a long while ago, found it really interesting. Did you know his son, Martin Simecka I believe, has written some really interesting journalistic/essayistic work, as well?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 09:31 am
Lorna wrote:

The next auto-biography I want to read is Anne Robinson's Dairy of an Unfit Mother while also reading Janice Galloway's Foreign Parts and at least one thing not on next semester's course!

Lorna Smile

you'll enjoy it - she doesn't hide anything ... brutally honest about herself
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 10:38 am
I'm reading the center section in To The Finland Station about Marx and Engels (jeez what a book); have started a reread on Travels With Charley; am reading slowly and with great pleasure Garcia Marquez' memoir; dipping into Sebald's After Nature; but what seems to take most of my reading time is my way way way oversubscription to periodicals. Need new glasses, more time.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 11:30 am
usually only one because i get totally hooked and can't stop! I read pretty fast so can move on to something different quite quickly.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 01:40 am
Three at the moment.
Jeremy Cohen, "Living Letters of the Law: Ideas of the Jew in Medieval Society," University of California Press, 1999. On my major field reading list.
Robert Kaplan, "The Arabists: The Romance of an American Elite," Free Press, 1993. I swear it leaped out at me at Borders and said "Read me, read me!"
Neil Gaiman, "Neverwhere." I found the miniseries on VHS on Ebay and HAD to re-read the book.
Very Happy
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 11:40 am
Nimh: Now I have fished out your post through Google, searching articles from Martin Simecka!! Yes, he has written The Year of the Frog -an autobiographical novel that won a Pegasus Prize in 1993. He is the head of the PEN club Slovakia. And, Milan Simecka, his father, was my father's best friend. Martin often comes to my parents' house for a barbecue ;-)
Have you read Circular Defense?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 02:08 pm
I think I'm developing a Don't Ask Don't Tell policy with respect to the title question.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:20 pm
Tartarin wrote:
I'm reading the center section in To The Finland Station about Marx and Engels.

T, how is Wilson? He's been on my must-read list for about 30 years now (no lie), and that's a title I think should be on the top of the list. Your thoughts?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 05:01 pm
Well, I'd read it years ago and I still think that book should be at the top of anyone's reading list. Wilson writes well, having through things through clearly. He's not a knee-jerk, but an explorer. Highly recommended. Nice new edition, too...

When I read it in college -- and then again maybe ten years later -- I felt compelled to read from page 1 to the end. Now I'm finding "dipping" is also very interesting. So don't feel you have to read all million pages one after another! I think it would do just fine as a night table book -- for sampling and thinking...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 05:04 pm
Thanks. Now it's time to lay hands on a copy...
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 06:04 pm
I have five partially read books on my nightstand,
but I can only read one of them at a time.

I don't know how you folks do it!
0 Replies