How many do you read at once?

Lorna

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 03:19 pm
Hi All,

How many books do you read at once?

I manage 3 or 4, and read what suits my mood at the time...when at home, I keep one upstairs, one downstairs, and two by the bed...when at school they are all over the place, and all bets are off as to how many I'm working on...

What about you?

Lorna
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,776 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 03:21 pm
Usually no more than two at one time, although i have gone as high as five . . . right now, i'm reading The Glorious Cause, a brief history of the American Revolution (always a good idea to keep an open mind by reading different interpretations) and Quincunx, by Charles Palliser. The latter i am reading for the third time, and enjoying it immensely.

okbye
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 03:52 pm
I enjoy books, but alas, I am a very slow reader. I can only read one book at a time, and it usually takes two or three weeks.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:02 pm
I normally read two or three at once - usually one trash novel and two brain food. I travel a lot with my job, so I inhale trash novels while waiting at airports and flying, and read the brain food on weekends. Just finished "The Summons" by Grisham last night, and am slowly going through "Coinage and the Roman Economy" and "Historians of Late Antiquity" at home.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:51 pm
I'm surrounded by history buffs... Smile

I too like to mix fiction with non-fiction, and sometimes even if I don't want to I have to, lol

For instance while working by way through Lynch's The New History of Scotland, chapter by chapter, I was also reading Faulkner's As I Lay Dying and other stuff on the reading list.

The next auto-biography I want to read is Anne Robinson's Dairy of an Unfit Mother while also reading Janice Galloway's Foreign Parts and at least one thing not on next semester's course!

I'll stop playing with the italics now, Smile

Jim, I travel a lot too, and finish most of the books I I buy at the beginning of journeys in transit. One thing I have noticed is that the books available at kiosks are slightly more upmarket now.

Equus, some of the books I read seem to take weeks, the above Lynch is one example!

Lorna Smile
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 01:12 pm
I 'm reading only one book right now. But, I'm reading about 10 magazines and 7 newspapers.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 01:23 pm
Variety is a good thing Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 01:26 pm
Is it?

I've never read Variety, but then, the entertainment industry doesn't much interest me . . .
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 01:35 pm
LOL, yeah, as soon as I posted, I knew I would get that...hehehe...meant variety, as in not the magazine... Smile
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 01:40 pm
They're scattered around the house, at various stages of reading.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 09:04 am
New Haven wrote:
They're scattered around the house, at various stages of reading.

Kind of like my books, lol... Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 09:10 am
Geez, I don't know. I strarted reading about Milan Simecka (I stopped months ago, but am still reading it), I read one article in a collection of literary journalism about AIDS in Africa being tied in with the trans continental trucking world, I just started Shakey, the bio of Neil Young, and I read bits from the complete poems of Emily Dickinson. Oh! I'm also reading Abbey's Road, shorts by Edward Abbey.

I read them in waves. I get two magazine subscriptions.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 09:28 am
Usually about 5. Currently 4:

The Book of the Sea. edited by A. C. Spectorsky (1954)

Parker on the Iroquois Arthur C. Parker

The Nature Doctor Dr. H. C. A. Vogel

Tombstone Courage J. A. Jance
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 07:36 am
I have 3 books going at the moment, one fiction, one non-fiction and one unpublished (that would be mine)

If we're taking mags as well, an old issue of People...
this morning I gave a friend five of my books to borrow, the more I give away, the less I have to put in storage for the summer, hehehe

Smile
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:24 pm
Usually four or five... Right now, just The Botany of Desire, by Michael Pollan. Mark Kurlansky's Salt was the last nonfiction, filled out by three or four mysteries, a couple SF books, something Arthurian (Guenivere, by I forget -- the Arthurian legend from her point of view)... But Botany's all that's left from the last library haul; I'll have to go over there as soon as I log off...

Wy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:03 pm
1 - 10 at a time. Numbers sometimes slip away, or not, I keep them in rotation. I go for months with out an easyread and hit a slide, which I am in right now, got to get ahold of some mysteries. Although, I am not truthful there. I have read so many mysteries and police procedurals in the past that I am rarely interested in them and toss them to the give to SA or St. Vincent's pile. But once in a while there is a police procedural that approaches literature...usually by someone Japanese whose name I will not remember, and those are the kind I am after.

Some literature, however, I toss to the pile faster. I just don't wanna read it.

Mostly I read nonfiction, in book or magazine form.

Today's list -
Reginald Hill On Beulah Height, English police thriller, hated it, can't remember why already

Ruth Rendell Harm Done haven't opened yet

Jamie O'Neill At Swim Two Boys fine enough

Kenneth Clark (aka LordKC) The Other Half his second half autobio, I like it, got distracted, mean to continue. Not fascinating all the way through, but I am interested, will finish it.

Best American Short Stories (Sue Miller) Just started.

Sally S. Wright Publish & Perish crime fiction quick good read

A Tuscan Childhood Kinta Beavor slow start, I am not giving up, might like it, though I am more interested in what happened with everybody in the area than this one girl/woman...don't know enough yet to say, re the book.

That is today, at home. I have a couple of more on desk at work, don't remember titles. Something by an american naturalist who treks through italy on a journey that winds through the paths of St. Francis and explores italian countryside. Am about to page 25 and losing hope, will keep reading though.
I am not immediately interested in his divorce and spiritual rebirth. Would like to know about the countryside situation though.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 01:44 am
ossobuco, I love what you read! I will ask for those.

Today at the library I got tom robbins' Still Life with Woodpecker (love the way he plays with language!), John Grisham's A Painted House (because J.G. is supposed to be good), Meet John Trow by Thomas Dyja, and The Memoirs of Cleopatra, by Margaret George. Altogether a stack of about nine inches of pages... enough to last about a week...
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 03:12 am
I just started reading "Baudolino" by Umberto Eco last night. I'm not very far into it yet, but it seems excellent.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 03:40 am
2 books and any number of Comic Books.

I prefer Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.
....and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

But if it saves my pride, the books I tend to read are all philosophy books.

oh well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 04:56 pm
Just bought three more used books for the stack yesterday...
Richard Ford's Independence Day (novel), Sebastian Faulks' The Girl at the Lion d'or (novel), Jamie Harrison's The Edge of the Crazies (murder mystery set in Montana). Read, read, read...
0 Replies