Can anyone help me with this vintage product?

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 10:54 pm
Hey I am new to the forum and m hoping someone can help me with the name of a vintage VCR that I had in my house in the late 80s and early 90s.

I will describe it the best I can. The most standout part of the VCR was that it was in 2 pieces. The one box was where you put the cassette in and it was a sping loaded top loading system. Press the eject button and the slot would pop up then you put the cassette in and push down and the tape was loaded. The second piece was what controlled the video cassette. The play pause and record buttons were on that part. Both parts were gray and I believe my dad bought it so he can hook the video camera up to it, I don't know if it was the same brand or not but he bought it for use with the camera.

Thats the best I can remember. I searched for pictures but didn't know what exactly to put in the search bar. I hope someone can help It has been killing me because I can picture it in my head, my parents agree it was in 2 pieces, but my friends won't believe that VCRs were in 3 pieces. Thanks for your help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 801 • Replies: 9
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:14 am
I found this but I know it isn't exactly what you're talking about since it doesn't have a pop-top thing....

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mitzp9E88sAXM6jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG

Quote:
M-II (1985)
This format was introduced in 1985 by Panasonic Broadcast Systems to go head to head with Sony in the professional broadcast marketplace.

The M-II format was an enhancement to the M format by using 1/2 inch metal particle tape - the same size as today's VHS cassettes. In fact, the cassettes themselves had the identical dimensions to that of standard VHS, though the similarities ended there.

It was used extensively at NBC but never garnered wide acceptance due to fierce competition from Sony with their established and highly successful Betacam line.

Image quality was actually slightly superior to that of Betacam SP. An excellent quality broadcast format that simply came along a little too late to gain wide market share.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 06:23 am
Opps... sorry the photo won't show.

But check this out! www.totalrewind.org/
0 Replies

Rangers24

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 12:15 pm
Thanks a lot. I will take a look after I get back from work tonight.
0 Replies

Rangers24

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 01:09 am
I couldn't find it on that website. I talked with my dad and he remembers it being a Panasonic because he bought the camera and got the VCR that was compatable with it.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:44 am
Our first VCR was a two-piece RCA purchased in 1982, along with a video camera. The idea was that you only had to carry one of the pieces with you when videotaping. It made it slightly more portable.

Ours is long gone, of course, but it was grey in colour and looked exactly like this:

RCA Selecta Vision VCR
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 12:05 pm
1980's is "vintage?"

Already?

Hpw'd THAT happen?
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 12:34 pm
Time flies when you're having fun!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 01:44 pm
Thank you, Squinney. I do so remember grocery store clerks totaling up the bill on the back of the (PAPER) bag. Now, there's a vintage VCR.
0 Replies

Rangers24

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 02:49 pm
mckenzie wrote:
Our first VCR was a two-piece RCA purchased in 1982, along with a video camera. The idea was that you only had to carry one of the pieces with you when videotaping. It made it slightly more portable.

Ours is long gone, of course, but it was grey in colour and looked exactly like this:

RCA Selecta Vision VCR

That looks just like it. But I am sure it was a Panasonic. Maybe they made something similar. But that is the closest so far to what it looked like
0 Replies