Milk problem?

LuNaR

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:14 pm
Guys… below is a mathematics problem given to me by a little kid…and I think it's quite brilliant for their age, let's see if u guys can solve it…=)

Q: A man has to deliver 10 cartons of milk, which contains 10 bottles of milk in each carton. Every bottle is measured 100ml of milk, equivalent to 100gram. In the middle of his journey, he gets a call from his colleague stating that one of the cartons is not containing the right amount of milk, where each bottle only contains 95ml (95gram) of milk and that he (the deliverer) must not send the wrong carton. However, the man was not told which the wrong carton is, so he has to weight all the cartons using a coin-insert-scale at the street. Much to the man dismay, he only has enough coins to use the scale one time.

So, you genius out there, how is the man going to know which is the wrong carton?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 807 • Replies: 6
No top replies

najmelliw

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:22 pm
What sort of scale is it? One that is used by people to measure their own weight? Analogue or digital?

I would insert the coin and then quickly place the cartons on the scale one by one, see which one tips the scale by less then 1 kilogram.

Welcome to A2K by the way Smile
0 Replies

LuNaR

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:44 pm
gee...thanx for the welcome...

well, the type of the scale is not the subject here...the most important thing here is, how to know which is the wrong carton by one time use of the scale...

got to do with a bit calculus....

try again, good luck!
0 Replies

hungry hippo

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 06:26 pm
There is a contradiction here. It says he has to deliver 10 cartons, but at the same time it's written s that one of them should not be sent. It's not written how many cartons he has in the car. If he only has 10 cartons total, he would have to drive back to get a new carton anyway, in order to satisfy all the customers (or maybe there is one single customer?).

I don't know all the details I would like to know, so I have to make presumptions.

1. He puts 5 boxes on the weight. Presuming that the bottles and the carton doesn't have any weight (very unrealistic). If the weight is less than 5 kilos he can safely deliver the other 5 cartons.
a)With the money he got for the milk he delivered (Again presuming that he is delivering to several customers AND that they are paying with cash) he can use another one of those coin-insert-scales at the street (I have never seen those).
b) If he doesn't get paid cash, he can ask his customers if they have a scale he can use.

2. He simply opens the boxes and compares the bottles. I presume that it's not important that the boxes stay unopened, if they were closed to begin with. Maybe he has to open the cartons anyway, because he is delivering individual bottles of milk. It should be easy to see that one box has bottles with less milk (presuming they are see-trough). In this case there is not even a point in using the scale; unless he just wants to make sure he found the right carton.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 09:34 pm
He will mark all bottles in each carton with a number from 1 to 10 and take one bottle from the first carton, two from the second and so on up to the 10th and weighs the whole lot of these massed bottles of milk.

In an ideal world where all bottles are 100g, the weight of the amassed bottles of milk will be 5500 grams (10*11/2*100 grams). If the first carton is light the massed bottles will be 5 gram light---the second carton 10 gram light and so on until if it the 10th carton it will be 50 grams light. The suspect carton will be determined by how light the massed bottles weigh (n*5 grams where n is the suspect carton).

Rap
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 04:09 am
Ah... I didn't understand that the bottles were individually selectable.
Raprap provides an elegant and very correct solution. Thank you, raprap
0 Replies

LuNaR

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 07:25 am
yup...raprap got it right !!! gee...was it simple like that ??
0 Replies