Americans' Feel Close Circle Of Friends Shrinking

Reyn

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 12:39 pm
I think a lot of this has to do with the personality of the individual, and also how easily one can make friends in person.

Chai Tea wrote:
As a matter of fact, there's a guy out in the living room right now having a conversation with my husband, and I'd wish he'd go home. He's a nice guy, but it's Saturday, and it's my time.

Another point, at least for me, is convenience. That probably sounds a bit tacky, but there are times I just don't want someone over visiting. I love my privacy.

When I'm in contact with someone over the internet, it's when I want to do it, and forever long I wish to. I don't have to be tapping my fingers and hint that, well visit's over now - bye.

edgarblythe wrote:
....some of those, I don't want too much closeness with. .....

That's how I feel, too.

Letty wrote:
Very interesting topic, Reyn, and I have definite thoughts on the subject, but for now, just reading.

Ya'll come back now, here?

nimh wrote:
I'm guessing increased mobility is also one of the reasons.

Good point, nimh. With folks moving about, it makes it harder to make and keep friends.

sozobe wrote:
One other thought is that it's possible that 1985 was an anamalous spike. I'm not as sure about this idea, but bear with me -- the baby boomers were very much about "make your own family," pick and choose the people you enjoyed and create a community out of them, rather than focusing on your biological family.

That would still be holding sway in 1985, but not so much now.

I think one thing that can be said is that the times are definitely changing.

One thing to factor into it is immigration. Countries like the U.S. and Canada, and areas like Europe have had large influxes of people from all different countries around the world over the past 2 decades. Some of these peoples adapt better than others to life here.

eoe wrote:
I still have close in-person friends, friends I've had for decades, but my one true confidante, the only person I shared just about everything with, was my mother and she's passed away so, I've found myself with no one to talk to about certain things. That's when I bring it online.
sozobe wrote:
...I just realized you probably meant people moving from one place to another, as well. I'm sure that is a huge part of it, people no longer staying in the place they grew up in. ...

Does anyone feel that it becomes more difficult for us to make friends as we get older?

Many folks whom I have talked to have had friends from when they went to school, but as we get into our 20s and age, we don't do it as readily.

Chai Tea wrote:
The other day, someone from down the block was over, just me and her, and we ended up having this really deep conversation for a couple of hours. When she had to leave, she gave me this really big hug, something she'd never done before....I felt a real connection with her over the last few hours, and I guess she felt the same......However, I didn't think afterwards "wow, I hope we do that again soon." It was a life experience, it was enjoyed, then you move on to other experiences. ...

Yes, I feel that way, too. Not everything has to be "life-long". We move from Point A to B to C, etc. We drift through life meeting this person and that person and the accumulated experiences make up our life and our various interactions with a variety of folks, not just necessarily a few.

smorgs wrote:
....peoples diminishing circle of close contacts, through 21st Centuary living can give people a sense of isolation and increased depression. close confidents are hard to find. But we have to give technology it's due... the internet (although we all knock it at times) gives those isolated an opportunity to come into close 'mental' contact with others. And that can only be a good thing. ...

I have to whole-heartily agree.

If anything (in my opinion) the internet has the ability to bring us closer together. People whom I would never have any contact with in a million years, are now accessable in a flash.

For example, with the internet corresspondence type chess that I play, despite various time zones, I can now easily play with anyone anywhere. We didn't have that capability 10 years ago.

Here's another example. How about folks with disabilities who can't get out and about to make friends? Talk about being isolated! with the event of the internet in their lives, a whole world of possibilities have opened up.
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 12:54 pm
it you have three real friends, THAT'S REAL FRIENDS, when you die then you are a very lucky person.

afterall who else could you tell absolutely everything to but a real friend?

you know how many times my friends wanted to go to sleep at night when I wasn't done talking?

I only have one best friend that will hold an extermely long and engaging conversation with me.

people simply throw friendship away too easily nowadays. There have been many people who I thought were my friends only to find out that when they moved away they had no real interest in maintaining the relationship.

I think some people turn to message boards and chat rooms sometime when no one else will listen or people seem to be bored by them. I know that is the case for me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 01:20 pm
There are three persons I work with. We love and respect one another. There is nothing we would not do for each other. At the same time, we are not the sort to socialize. When I leave here, we may never communicate again. But, our immediate ties are no less real and strong.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 01:47 pm
Eoe--

You were right on topic. As we age, our friends die, taking with them pieces of our past.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 01:54 pm
xguymontagx wrote:
I think some people turn to message boards and chat rooms sometime when no one else will listen or people seem to be bored by them. I know that is the case for me.

I agree. Or, a person may just not be good (or interested) in making in-person friends.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 01:57 pm
Edgar,

Same with me. There were a couple of my work collegues that I got along with pretty good, but since I've retired, I'm not in contact with them.

Mind you, this city seems awfully small sometimes. Just two days ago, I bumped into an ex-work collegue in Wal-Mart. Felt a bit awkward. Nothing in common other than work. I made polite conversation and bid good-bye.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 01:58 pm
You should have got them to give you discounts first.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 01:59 pm
No, they were on vacation also shopping there. Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 02:03 pm
Nuts. Worth a try, anyway.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 02:10 pm
I guess some people have a low tolerance for being alone. Me, I don't ever feel lonely.

The last time I can ever remember a real deep feeling of lonliness was when I was about 10 years old. I was lying on my bed in the house I grew up in. It was the middle of summer (no kids lived nearby) and I just couldn't stand this lonely feeling. I started crying, just really sad. Something kept building and building up inside me, like I had to vocalize it, but didn't know what.

Finally, I just burst out with "I WISH I COULD GO HOME!"

Then of course I was all confused, because, well ****, I was on my bed, the only one I'd ever slept in.

Now I know I meant I wish I could be complete and at home in myself.

Now, I am.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 02:15 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Eoe--

You were right on topic. As we age, our friends die, taking with them pieces of our past.

It was almost two years after my mother died that I realized how much news and family gossip and questions and silly thoughts I'd bottled up inside. All my life I'd taken her confidence completely for granted.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 02:19 pm
Eoe--

My mother died ten years ago and I'm still reminding myself, "I must remember to tell her such and such."
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 02:24 pm
I did that with my father, had a thought to call him about something, and it was like a bucket of water thrown in my face once it hit me that he was gone. That's a tough one.

I started talking to my brother about family stuff but it's just not the same.

In the last five years, I've acquired four close friends. We worked together, in the trenches of non-profit theatre, and altho' none of us are in the same place or even in the same arena, still, we're pretty tight. Not call-each-other-every-night-tight because we've all got our own lives, husbands and homes and children and all but we get together every now and then and it's a warm and loving circle. These people, added to my two best friends bring the number to six. And I have a cousin who's like a sister so, it's seven. I am damn lucky, huh?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 04:04 pm
Eoe--

I won't say "lucky"--you worked for those friendships. I will say you are a fortunate woman.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 04:22 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I guess some people have a low tolerance for being alone. Me, I don't ever feel lonely.

-snip-

Now I know I meant I wish I could be complete and at home in myself.

Now, I am.

Does it have to be zero-sum?

I enjoy spending time by myself.

I also enjoy spending time with people.

I enjoy cake.

I also enjoy ice cream.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 04:41 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

I understand and can relate to that.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:16 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Like Reyn, I don't feel the absence at all. [..] I just don't get a lot out of it.

The other day, someone from down the block was over, just me and her, and we ended up having this really deep conversation for a couple of hours. When she had to leave, she gave me this really big hug, something she'd never done before....I felt a real connection with her over the last few hours, and I guess she felt the same......However, I didn't think afterwards "wow, I hope we do that again soon." It was a life experience, it was enjoyed, then you move on to other experiences.

Dont you worry, though, about after you're done with moving on? What will be then, who will be there? Who will you have to rely on, and who will rely on you, beyond your husband?

Cause I do. Especially now, having moved away from one country and seeing most contacts there slip away, to another country where I've found (some) new contacts but where I'll (probably) also not stay for all my life. I worry.

Making friends now is harder than it was when I was 26, and it was harder at 26 then it was at 17. I'm dead-sure it'll be harder still at 43, and then at 62. And I dont want to end up depending on the net for communication because in real life there's noone but my wife and child(ren) - if even that.

Those who move on - is what I'm afraid of - find ever new people - but in the end are left with none..

I know that for me, anyway, only family would not be enough ... life is more than small nuclear units ... or what I mean is, life falling apart into these smallest of nuclear (family) units (as happens to some degree automatically as you age, and all the faster with all these trends Soz and I and others have mentioned), scares me, as being unnecessarily cold or harsh or something ...

Like, it takes a village?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:41 pm
It takes a village for me....

I like having different groups of real life friends.....I even have different groups of online friends!

It's fun, because you can explore different aspects of yourself with different sorts of people.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:44 pm
No, I don't worry about it at all. I have no fear of being alone, because, well, it just doesn't scare me.

Frankly, if given the choice to be with people or not, I'd choose not.

Somewhere along the line, I just really started enjoying solitude. I'm an introvert and being with people drains me.

Soz....without the part of my post you snipped out, it doesn't do justice to what I was saying.

I'm not telling anyone that anything has to be zero-sum. I'm talking about myself and no one else.

I enjoy time alone
I don't mind limited interaction with others.

I like cake
Ice cream makes me fart.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:50 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
No, I don't worry about it at all. I have no fear of being alone, because, well, it just doesn't scare me.

Frankly, if given the choice to be with people or not, I'd choose not.

Somewhere along the line, I just really started enjoying solitude.

couldn't have said it better, i have a great time with people, but have no problem being alone, i may not go as far as to say i'd choose not to be with people, but i do like my solitude
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 04:26:19