Speed of light relative to what

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:33 pm
According to Einstein because of the increase in inertial mass nothing can ever go as fast as the speed of light.
Say another galaxy is moving away from earth at .5c, I then get in my spaceship and get up to .6c relative to earth, also in a direction away from said galaxy. Now aren't I moving at 1.1c relative to that galaxy?
I'm a dentist, not a physics major so I don't know what I'm not understanding.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 569 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:41 pm
Nope. Velocities aren't actually simply additive, as our intuition tells us they should be. You have to use the relativistic velocity addition formula. In the case you mentioned, you would observe the galaxy as receding from you at:

(v1 + v2)/[1 + v1 v2/c^2]
= (.5c +.6c)/[1 + (.5c x .6c)/c^2] = 1.1c/(1 + .5 x .6) = 1.1/1.3 = .846c (where c is the speed of light in vacuum)

If you're interested, there are a lot of treatments of special relativity for the layman.

Interestingly, an observer on the Earth would see the galaxy as going one way at .5c and you as going the other way at .6c, so by definition, he would say that you and the galaxy are separating at 1.1c, but no observer, including you, will ever observe any single material object as travelling at c, the speed of light in vacuum, or higher.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 12:04 am
mike1886

As a layman myself I can recommend Brian Greene's book "the Fabric of the Cosmos" if you want to get your head round relativity. Your question "relative to what?" is the fundamental issue explained by Greene as a continuing dialogue between Newton, Einstein and later thinkers.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 09:40 am
Brian Greene's book is great. But in case you don't want to read it, i'll save you the trouble. Turns out Einstein discovered that the sped of light is constant from ANY reference point. That is to say, if you chase after a beam of light at say .5c you would expect to see it moving away from you at only .5c since c - .5c = .5c However, this is not the case. The beam would still be moving way at 1c
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 07:49 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
Brian Greene's book is great. But in case you don't want to read it, i'll save you the trouble. Turns out Einstein discovered that the sped of light is constant from ANY reference point. That is to say, if you chase after a beam of light at say .5c you would expect to see it moving away from you at only .5c since c - .5c = .5c However, this is not the case. The beam would still be moving way at 1c

... which is due to distortions of time and space related to your own velocity, resulting in localized measurement of c as a constant.
0 Replies