Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 07:01 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 784 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 07:23 am
I get all choked up when I read about some of the "MAke A wish" stuff that they mangae to pull off for the terminal kids. When we were poor and our son (who would have been my oldest son) came down with terminal leukemia, the Make A wish foundation was just being started by a DJ in Philly named Irving Homer. He helped manage a whirlwind tour and a meeting with the Phillies and a trip to the gRand Canyon. There were many other follw ups and continuous surprises so that my sons last days , although painful and restrictive, were a time of constant motion and rel joy for him.

My (then) wife and I were total messes and the MAke A wish guys became such indespensible parts of my sons last days that I can never , ever hope to pay them back in any monetary fashion. How do you thank people who show constantly what it is like to be human and care for the sick i9n areal fashion.

It may sound hokey but Id give up any place I may have had in heaven (if it existed) to Irv and the guys at make a wish. They are the real angels. AND, by their own examples, they show how life , just governed by "being caring souls" does not revolve around some promise of "pie in the sky".
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 09:24 am
.....farmerman.....

<sob>

What a story to share. On Father's Day, no less. Big hug to you.

Thank you for sharing the story of Star, mysteryman. Make A Wish is indeed a wonderful group.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 09:57 am
This is one of those times when I can't think of anything in particular to say but can't just click along without saying something, as I sit here in tears...

On Father's Day no less, indeed.

(Is this what happened around Christmastime?)

Very cool story, mysteryman.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 11:38 am
Farmerman--

Thank you.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:47 pm
mysterman, great story! It should be a movie.

farmerman, your story brings this one home. I can't even begin to imagine ... thank you.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:47 pm
0 Replies