Combinatorics, probability and statistics

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 12:38 pm
Hey guys, I have a few questions:

1. There are 35 desks in a classroom. In how many ways can the teacher configure a seating plan for a class of 30 students?

2. Sixteen people attend a meeting. Each person greets everyone with a single handshake. Find the total number of handshakes that are exchanged.

3. A manufacturer determines that the volume of juice in a juice box is normally distributed with a minimum of 244mL and a maximum of 256mL. What is the best estimate of the standard deviation? Complete it without the use of a calculator.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 635 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 12:28 am
Re: Combinatorics, probability and statistics
Numbnut247 wrote:

1. There are 35 desks in a classroom. In how many ways can the teacher configure a seating plan for a class of 30 students?...

The first student can be in anyone of 35 seats. The second in any one of 34 seats, etc. So, you have this many permutations: 35 * 34 * ...* 7 * 6 = 35!/5!, or more generally n!/(n-k)! where n is the number of seats and k is the number of students. The exclamation point, of course, represents the factorial of the number.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 08:36 am
Numbnut247 wrote:
2. Sixteen people attend a meeting. Each person greets everyone with a single handshake. Find the total number of handshakes that are exchanged.

Each handshake is a result of two out of sixteen people meeting. Order doesn't matter in this case (it doesn't matter if it's Mary and Joe vs Joe and Mary) so you are looking for the number of unordered pairs where n=16 (combinations, or k = 2) The general formula for combinations is n!/(k!(n-k)!).

For example, if there were 6 people at the party (n=6) the number of unordered pairs (k=2) is 6!/(2!(6-2)!) or 6!/(2!*4!) = 6*5*4*3*2*1 = 720/(2*24) = 720/48 = 15.

I'll let you do the math for n=16 (let me know what you get).

Quote:
3. A manufacturer determines that the volume of juice in a juice box is normally distributed with a minimum of 244mL and a maximum of 256mL. What is the best estimate of the standard deviation? Complete it without the use of a calculator.

Thanks

A normal distribution has the same mean, median, and mode. Given that the distribution is normally distributed, you know that the mean is the center of the interval between the min and the max (256-244 = 12/2 =6 or 250). All of the values encompass the area from the mean +/- four SD, or 250 +/- 6. An easy estimate of the sd is 6/4 = 1.5
0 Replies

Numbnut247

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 12:08 pm
Thanks a lot guys
0 Replies