'Belgian Malcolm X' seeks office

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 01:18 pm
Maybe they would change their mind indeed WaCo. Most of the Antwerp Jews are (offspring of) Holocaust survivors from (especially) Poland, and I do think that such a message could disturb them. But on the other hand, BECAUSE most of the Antwerp Jews - a large percentage of them Orthodox Hasidic Jews - are originally not from Belgium, they are maybe less stopped from voting on the Vlaams Blok than Jews who áre originally from Belgium, because they - the Jews who arrived in Belgium after WW II - did not "experience" the Vlaams Blok in WW II.

I think I'm thinking too much about it now.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 01:31 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Most of the Antwerp Jews are (offspring of) Holocaust survivors from (especially) Poland, ... ...

Definately "not":

JEWISH ANTWERP

:wink:
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 01:59 pm
Quote:
Almost all of Belgian Jewry is either of Polish or of Hungarian ancestry, many of which are post-WW II immigrants. (About half the Belgian Jewish community perished in the Shoah.) Besides a small "native" Belgian community that lived here for centuries (partly of Marrano, partly of German ancestry), there are also Jews of Dutch and Moroccan origin, as well as a couple of thousand Israelis.

Source: www.amyisrael.co.il/europe/belgium

Quote:
This is eerily familiar to Pinhas Kornfeld, who escaped the Nazis as a child, living underground for three years in Vichy France.

He is one of only 1,200 Antwerp Jews to have survived the Holocaust and return to rebuild what was once been a great centre of Jewish enterprise.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2002/05/30/wanti130.xml

Quote:
ANTWERP
Jewish Presence: from 1526
Jewish population in 1939: 55,000 (20110517f total population)
Fate of Jews during WWII: Many arrested and deported to extermination camps. 800 hid in Antwerp.
Post-war: 10,500 Jews in 1969.

Source: Simon Wiesenthal Center

You were saying Walter... :wink: . OK maybe I was exaggerating a little bit, but still...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 02:13 pm
Well, I was obviously misinterpreted your post and thought, you were saying, those Jews came from Poland :wink:
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:00 pm
OK
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:04 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
. . . population in 1939: 55,000 (20110517f total population)

I consider a contention that the population of Antwerp in 1939 was in excess of 20 million people, not to be an exaggeration, but an out-right lie . . .
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:20 pm
I noticed that too Setanta, it was on the website of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, and I have NO IDEA where they get it from. Maybe there's a zero too much?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:26 pm
Well, it ends in seven, Boss, so the question would be which zero to remove . . .
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:47 pm
Boss?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 01:50 pm
Boss, thought to derive from the the Dutch baas, meaning master . . . it is thought that English-speaking tenants of Dutch Patroons in the Hudson River valley of New York before the American revolution corrupted baas into Boss, using it as a title of respect, which later adopted a dual character as a term of derision.

I don't use it either as a title of respect, or as a term of derision. I just use it as a form of address--at some point or another, i will address almost everyone as Boss . . .
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 02:01 pm
Aha! Another proof of the BIG impact we Dutch had on American, and eventually world, society! Just like Santa Claus whoahahaha!....As a 17-year old I'm not used to be called Boss (although it's just, in your case, a form of addressing), which explains my reaction.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 02:04 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Aha! Another proof of the BIG impact we Dutch had on American, and eventually world, society!

Well, that and Dutch Elm disease . . .

If for no other reason, the Dutch are to be congratulated on having purchased Manhattan Island from the local Indians for 60 guilders. These days, that wouldn't pay your parking costs if you went to dinner in Manhattan . . .
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 02:14 pm
We Dutchmen are good traders, what can I say...when there's a sale, we are there! We love money, and we are not afraid to show this love to the rest of the world! Cool National motto: "it's all about the profit".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 02:18 pm
Simon Schama wrote a wonderful book about the United Provinces in the 17th century, which he entitled The Embarrassment of Riches. If you can find that in Dutch at home, i think you'd enjoy reading it.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 02:21 pm
Ok, thanks for the tip (is this good English - tip - in this context?)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 02:29 pm
Indeed, that is "letter perfect" use of an idiomatic English expression . . .
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:37 pm
OK
0 Replies