Scientist Outlines Plan to Probe Earth’s Middle

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:42 pm
Quote:

THE REST OF THE ARTICLE

This makes as much sense as going into outer space. Or does it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,168 • Replies: 13
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:46 pm
I heard an interview with this guy on NPR. The week long pace is about the same speed at a jog and the distance about that of the west coast to St Louis (I think). Anyway, the theory is a brain-child right now and there is no real physical technology to run this test right now. But, it's an idea and science needs an idea as a starting point for building a method.

I think it would be very cool indeed. So long as it doesn't irritate any fault lines.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 10:58 pm
My guess is the crack would only open down about 2 miles instead of 2000 miles and most of it would snap shut in seconds spraying the molten iron miles into the atmosphere, It would be raining teardrop shaped cannon balls down wind for several minutes. Neil
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 11:16 pm
Quote:
Stevenson, himself, concedes his idea is somewhat "outrageous."

Nut case! Exclamation
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 04:27 am
Let him test his theory on an uninhabited planet or three first...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 04:46 am
Sounds like a prescription for disaster, meaning, they will probably try to do it.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 04:55 am
I assume that drilling down is not a viable alternative to blowing bloody great holes in the earth's crust?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 04:49 pm
If they can make probes that can withstand those conditions, why don't they just start putting bunches of them into existing magma tubes (volcano's), and get them going that way?

I think this guy just likes playing with big bombs.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 05:19 pm
doesn't everybody?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 08:43 pm
I don't know why he doesn't just lower a rope ladder, and climb down! Shocked

and no lilK; it is definitly NOT a "cool" idea! Twisted Evil
we're talking "asbestos underwear"! Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 11:01 pm
You might take a look at superdeep borehole, GD. 12k was about it, and I have no idea what they used for a drilling fluid to keep the hole from collapsing. Anyway, the forces were high enough they couldn't use conventional rotary drilling equipment and developed a turbine attached to the bottom stand of the work string, which was powered by the drilling mud being pumped down the pipe. Something similar is now in use for directional drilling, and I believe it followed the Russian developement. I would have loved to watch them trip out of the hole to change a dull bit.

There! Aren't you glad you asked?
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 04:21 am
Roger, I clicked Super Deep Borehole and got a The page cannot be displayed message.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 04:26 am
It did work for me about an hour ago. Interesting, although some of the geology was a bit beyond my understanding.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:22 am
Dunno, Mapleleaf. I tested it when I first posted it, and it's working now. No biggie. The point is more that a 12 km borehole was pretty much at the outer limits of the technology. We've probably going to have to stay with indirect readings on the core, as this two megaton plan is too improbable for words.
0 Replies