Guantanamo suicides confirmed

oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 10:53 pm
msolga wrote:
oralloy wrote:
msolga wrote:
I'm not going to go over & over points about the Geneva convention/when is a POW not a POW, etc, that have already been covered very well by others on this thread, ob.

It seems that the reality of what the Geneva Conventions say is central to the issue you are discussing.

This is tiresome.
The US insists they are not POWs. (as defined by the Geneva Convention), therefore the US doesn't have to comply with the guidelines of the convention.

Not exactly. They are not POWs, and we don't have to follow the guidelines for POWs.

But they are unlawful combatants, and we have to follow the Geneva Conventions' guidelines for unlawful combatants.

The Geneva Conventions say that unlawful combatants may be detained incommunicado for as long as they are judged to be a threat to our security.

msolga wrote:
Others claim that they are POWs and they are being detained illegally.

Unlawful combatants do not have the right to be treated as POWs.

msolga wrote:
Whatever the US government chooses call it, the treatment of the detainees has been/remains appalling & thoroughly reprehensible.

What is reprehensible about detaining captured enemy soldiers until the end of the war?

Would you prefer they have a summary execution on the battlefield?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:03 pm
Yeah, yeah ...
& soldiers get killed in "friendly fire".
Countless numbers of innocent civilians are mere "collateral damage".
Since when has the US government (& their PR folk) cared about the morality of what it's done? It's all just words & interpretation, ob ... but if it makes you feel better, just tell yourself that they're unlawful combatants & not POWs ..... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:07 pm
OK, Oralloy, a theoretical question for you.

You say "until the end of the war". As I am not sure what "war" you are referring to, I can only assume that you mean the war in Afghanistan, where the majority of these people were "caught".

If the war in Afghnistan ended tomorrow, what do you think should then happen to the relevant detainees?

(Personally, I thought the war in Afghanistan ended ages ago)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:18 pm
Oralloy is not big on answering questions, Ellpus. Just wait: you'll get a bunch of (one liner) questions back in response to your request for answers from him.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:26 pm
msolga wrote:
Oralloy is not big on answering questions, Ellpus. Just wait: you'll get a bunch of (one liner) questions back in response to your request for answers from him.

They can't HANDLE the questions.

McGentrix wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Cute isn't it? The neocons and hench people and dupes are supporting these actions by "the land of the free".

They declare a war with no end, and no criteria given for winning.

Using this, they justify keeping prisoners endlessly...while, for propaganda purposes, declaring the wars in which they captured these people to be won.

They imprison large numbers of people, without even any attempt at a legal justification for it, relying on some kind of blind support from their stooges in the American populace who see any questioning of policy as immoral, or illegal or something, while their country is in a now eternal state of war.

They create situations where they do not have to answer to their own laws, or regard the human rights agreements they enthusiastically advocate for others, and where they can and do murder and torture. When criticised for it, they initually deny, then say it is a few bad apples, then say they deserved it, and it is unpatriotic to talk about it..or stupid, or whatever the neocon loony right insult du jour is. (Intellectual it is again, at present, isn't it? Or, if you stoop to the depths of the likes of Sierra Song, we are back to the show worn "terrorist supporter". Goddess, I thought they would be too ashamed to use that one any more, but there you are) All this without any proof that these people "deserve" anything, or, if some feeble attempt is to be made to justify their guilt, it is via kangaroo courts condemned by their own military's lawyers.

Ever heard of Catch 22?

4 years is now an "eternal state of war."?

What a load of BS.

yeah f*ckwit....so, what will be the evidence of winning? Oh, your president CLAIMING victory clearly does not count.....odd, that.

So...what are the criteria for winning?

SierraSong wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Cute isn't it? The neocons and hench people and dupes are supporting these actions by "the land of the free".

They declare a war with no end, and no criteria given for winning.

Using this, they justify keeping prisoners endlessly...while, for propaganda purposes, declaring the wars in which they captured these people to be won.

They imprison large numbers of people, without even any attempt at a legal justification for it, relying on some kind of blind support from their stooges in the American populace who see any questioning of policy as immoral, or illegal or something, while their country is in a now eternal state of war.

They create situations where they do not have to answer to their own laws, or regard the human rights agreements they enthusiastically advocate for others, and where they can and do murder and torture. When criticised for it, they initually deny, then say it is a few bad apples, then say they deserved it, and it is unpatriotic to talk about it..or stupid, or whatever the neocon loony right insult du jour is. (Intellectual it is again, at present, isn't it? Or, if you stoop to the depths of the likes of Sierra Song, we are back to the show worn "terrorist supporter". Goddess, I thought they would be too ashamed to use that one any more, but there you are) All this without any proof that these people "deserve" anything, or, if some feeble attempt is to be made to justify their guilt, it is via kangaroo courts condemned by their own military's lawyers.

Ever heard of Catch 22?

LOL. You had the Marines in Haditha tried, convicted and sentenced without so much as blinking an eye.

Hypocrite.

Hilarious.

You really can't open that thing without shoving your whole body in, can you?

Here it is slow and simple...like your brain.

Your marines had an I N V E S T I G A T I O N.

By their peers, as it happened, and...oh my!!!!! Just like the beginnings of Abu Ghraib, Afghani prisons etc...their own side thinks they're ok!

They haven't been imprisoned for years, tortured, etc.

They had D U E P R O C E S S of L A W.

Try harder, fuckface.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:31 pm
Let's try this.

What if your mariners at Haditha had been captured?

Tortured, held at a camp answering to no law....until the "war on Islam" is over.

Heck, they were there, anyone can tell they were guilty. Invaders. Aggressors.

How many years would it be fair to keep them with no contact with their families, no trial, not even knowing what the chrages are?

THIS is what you support for others, whom, on faith, you have condemned.

Like it?

Support it?

No?

HYPOCRITES!!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:31 pm
dlowan wrote:

You've noticed that, too, Deb? :wink:

Perhaps because they don't have any convincing responses?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:32 pm
msolga wrote:
but if it makes you feel better, just tell yourself that they're unlawful combatants & not POWs ..... Rolling Eyes

My support of the Geneva Conventions does indeed make me feel better.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:35 pm
oralloy wrote:
msolga wrote:
but if it makes you feel better, just tell yourself that they're unlawful combatants & not POWs ..... Rolling Eyes

Well, if you accept Bushco's interpretation of it, of course it does! Laughing
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:38 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:

You say "until the end of the war". As I am not sure what "war" you are referring to, I can only assume that you mean the war in Afghanistan, where the majority of these people were "caught".

Close. But let's call it "the war against al-Qa'ida and all their allies".

Most people refer to it as "the war on terror", but than other people take advantage of the phrase and misconstrue it to mean we are at war against a tactic, so let's stick to "the war against al-Qa'ida and all their allies".

Lord Ellpus wrote:
If the war in Afghnistan ended tomorrow, what do you think should then happen to the relevant detainees?

Presuming al-Qa'ida and all their allies were eliminated, then what should happen is a military tribunal to try all the detainees for any war crimes they might have committed.

Those found not guilty should be released as soon as the verdict is read. Those who will not be charged at all should be released upon the end of the war.

Lord Ellpus wrote:

Nope.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:40 pm
msolga wrote:
Oralloy is not big on answering questions, Ellpus.

Yes I am. You just don't like what the Geneva Conventions say, so you don't like the answers.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:43 pm
msolga wrote:
dlowan wrote:

You've noticed that, too, Deb? :wink:

Perhaps because they don't have any convincing responses?

You don't find the Geneva Conventions convincing?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:44 pm
oralloy wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Close. But let's call it "the war against al-Qa'ida and all their allies".

Most people refer to it as "the war on terror", but than other people take advantage of the phrase and misconstrue it to mean we are at war against a tactic, so let's stick to "the war against al-Qa'ida and all their allies".

Lord Ellpus wrote:

Presuming al-Qa'ida and all their allies were eliminated, then what should happen is a military tribunal to try all the detainees for any war crimes they might have committed.

Those found not guilty should be released as soon as the verdict is read. Those who will not be charged at all should be released upon the end of the war.

Lord Ellpus wrote:

Nope.

Universally agreed upon, and binding upon even America, criteria for elimation please. NOW!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:46 pm
oralloy wrote:
msolga wrote:
Oralloy is not big on answering questions, Ellpus.

Yes I am. You just don't like what the Geneva Conventions say, so you don't like the answers.

Oh no, you're not, Mr One Liner! Laughing Laughing

The Geneva Conventions are just fine with me .... it's just when they get interpreted in politically convenient ways by a particular "world power" that I mind ...
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:47 pm
msolga wrote:
oralloy wrote:
msolga wrote:

I prefer the Red Cross' interpretation.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:48 pm
oralloy wrote:
msolga wrote:
oralloy wrote:
msolga wrote:

Yes? That's interesting. Could you please explain it to me?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:50 pm
dlowan wrote:
Universally agreed upon, and binding upon even America, criteria for elimation please. NOW!

I'm not sure what your are saying (or asking).

Clarification please??
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 11:59 pm
msolga wrote:
oralloy wrote:
msolga wrote:
oralloy wrote:
msolga wrote:

Yes? That's interesting. Could you please explain it to me?

The Red Cross has an extensive commentary on the various Geneva Conventions.

You can see them by clicking on the various "commentaries" links here, and then on the respective articles that are of interest:

http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/CONVPRES?OpenView

In this case, Article 5 of Geneva 4 is probably the one of greatest interest:

http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/COM/380-600008?OpenDocument
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 12:00 am
oralloy wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I'm not sure what your are saying (or asking).

Clarification please??

I can't think of a way to make it simpler...ummm.....you think the US has the right to hold "POW" without trial or charge until the war is over.

Criteria for the war being over, please.

Disregarding, it seems, presidential claims of such.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 12:04 am
dlowan wrote:
Criteria for the war being over, please.

Everyone who was connected to 9/11 is dead or in US custody, and the destruction of al-Qa'ida and their allied organizations.
0 Replies