Identifying Owner of a Web Site - Who Is

gollum

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 10:18 am
I understand that the owner of a web site is required to give his (or her) name & address to the site's Registrar, who then posts it on the "Who Is" portion of the Registrar's web site.

I am trying to find the owner of a web site those address has the following format:

www.xxx.yyy.com

Where xxx is a series of alpha characters

Where yyy is another series of alpha characters.

I understand that the xxx field is the "subdomain" and should be excluded when inputting to the "Who Is" function.

I have tried inputting www.yyy.com into the Registrar's Who Is service, but when I contact the resulting name, he swears he is not the owner and knows nothing about it.

What is the correct way to find the owner of a web site?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 721 • Replies: 5
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 05:50 pm
I want to know too!
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 03:40 pm
There is only one way those details can get into the database : Someone put them in there.
That someone is either the person who owns it or someone who wants to make it look like someone else owns it.

The information is usually taken from the account of the person who is actually paying for the domain registration.
It is possible that someone can own a domain and not own the website.
For example; I own several band name domains but do not own the websites hosted in the website owner's space. I redirect the domain to their hompage.

The ownership of a domain is not speciically linked to the ownership of a website or the rental of hosting space.
In most cases it is linked ie. you buy a domain, rent space, design your site and that's it.
You own and run the lot.
But that's not always the case as I outlined above.

Either way if their name is in the details then they're paying for the domain.
They might not be paying for the site however.
0 Replies

Reeneymonkey

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 07:03 pm
You might also want to try the Alexa toolbar. I have found information about site owners or at the very least a contact who can tell me who the site owner is in most cases. It might be worth a shot if you're at a dead end.
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 09:51 pm
When you buy a domain name & website package from certain places (I'm thinking of Yahoo/Geocities),
you have to give your name, address, telephone number etc., for the 'whois'
but for a small fee added to the monthly domain/website bill, you can have your domain details remain private.
From my understanding that means your information is still listed at 'whois' but it can't be seen by the general public.
I don't know if any other place is like that,
so I don't know if you'd be able to find out.
Good luck. I hope you find out what you want to know. Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 10:15 pm
A decent site for getting lotsa info on a website, domain, or email address is DNS Stuff-dot-Com. Another handy tool, which you can download and run from your own machine (Windows only) is a nifty free app called Sam Spade ... it does lotsa stuff, though you may hafta go through some hoops to get it to work right with some firewalls - no biggie, really.
0 Replies