Earrings for Men

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:44 am
My husband was kinda (OK very) wild through high school and most of college -- mostly punk, but lots of other sartorial variations. He settled into khakis-and-button-down-shirts anonymity for a while through grad school and postdocdom because it was convenient in many ways, and is slowly branching out again, fashion-wise, as his position as a professor becomes more secure.

He still has two pierced ears (one piercing in each), though he hasn't worn earrings in about 10 years. We just tried last night, they still "work" (haven't closed up). We were musing about what kinds of earrings he would wear, thought I'd put it to fashion-conscious guys here.

I suggested small diamond studs, he thought that was too cliche, not the kind of effect he was going for. He thought maybe he'd wear these brass/ "gold" hoops he used to wear, I think they're way too hippie/ oversized wool fisherman's sweater/ birkenstocks. (Both of which he wore when he wore those earrings.)

I think he'd want something interesting/ a bit edgy, without going overboard.

Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,797 • Replies: 54
No top replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:50 am
Here are some examples from MSN Shopping. Maybe one of these?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:54 am
I'd found that, doesn't seem accurate for one thing (no way these are "for men", even if there might be a man who would wear them):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8910307554&category=110526#ebayphotohosting

Google isn't helping me much, part of why I'd like personal opinions.

I'm thinking plain gold small hoops, maybe?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:56 am
Wrong url:

http://i8.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/4d/5a/39_1_b.JPG
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:57 am
Then I'm afraid, since I don't wear earrings, I can be of no further assistance but to use this post to bump the thread.
Good luck.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:03 pm
You're sweet, arthur. :-) It can also be what you've observed, though... Like, "My friend has these ____ earrings and they look really cool," or "I know this guy who wears ____ earrings and it looks SO dumb..."
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:09 pm
I don't know any men that wear earrings, either. I've met one or two guys that do, but they've had diamond studs.
It's either an odd occurance that I know no one that wears earrings, or all my friends are simply very milquetoast.
With about 60,000 registered members, someone here must be able to help.
And thank you for the compliment. Very Happy
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:12 pm
If he's just starting to branch out, it might be a good idea to start with the cliche studs, and gauge the reactions.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:21 pm
I have to admit to being funny about jewelry on a man - how sexist of me! - in that the only acceptable jewelry, to me, is a watch and a ring (wedding ring) on a man. I will, of course, be blasted for having such a narrow view and I really can't blame you for beating me to a pulp, but it's like guys wearing flip-flops to me. Soo-not-manly. Oh and I am totally unreasonable about the flip-flops too! I know it's plain stupid but I can't help how I feel. I just instantly think a certain way about men who wear them. Of course that also could include the fact that feet gross me out.

Anyhoo, sorry for being no help whatsoever soz!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:24 pm
Oh, poo on you!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:27 pm
this is what the film/art/uni honchos wear around here ... click
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:29 pm
I think one hoop in one ear is kinda sexy...ala [URL=http://]Ed Bradley[/URL]
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:35 pm
Piratewear.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:39 pm
Swimpy - where's that link supposed to lead?

I'm loving these

http://www.mens-jewelry-store.com/jewelry/html/images/WG-6331_s_Ear.jpg
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:44 pm
It's supposed to go to a picture of Ed Bradley. Hmm. I'll be back.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:49 pm
Thanks, ehBeth! I guess his instincts are better than mine, these are exactly the style of his old hoops, though his are gold (I don't think they're actual gold, just gold-colored).

http://www.mens-jewelry-store.com/jewelry/html/images/WG-6314_Ear.jpg

Swimpy, the link didn't work, but I do like that look.

I seem to have more tolerance for a single earring than for two (I know what you mean, Heeven), which is of course exactly why he got two (did the first one when he was 14, the second when he was 17) -- two is way more envelope-pushing and unusual.

So I do like it for that reason, that subtle "ya gonna make something of it?" aspect.

(And since he got them when he was living in a small town in Kansas, much WAS made of it, to the tune of getting in fistfights over it, so it's not an idle fashion whim -- those piercings really meant something.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 01:04 pm
Yup - the single snaky thing's good.

[nodding and nodding]

There's just no way for Ed Bradley to not be hot. [sigh]
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 05:32 pm
What I like about the small, single ring thing is that it's not in your face. You notice it but not right away. It's just cool. Now I can't imagine my "J" wearing one, but your "J" would be adorable.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 05:42 pm
The two earrings thing just reeks attitude, which definitely has its place in my 'take a second look' world.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:04 pm
Pre-cisely. Cool
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Earrings for Men
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 04:33:56