Does anyone use 'Vonnage' as their phone provider?

Rae

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 06:57 pm
Does anyone have any knowledge of Vonnage? I've seen their advertisements and they sound a bit too good to be true for telephone service.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hopefully I've posted this in the right place.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,689 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:06 pm
My son uses it. I had it for a whoile but when they couldn't transfer my number I dropped it. That was the only problem I had with it. It's cheap and the sound quality is just as good as with a regular line.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:13 pm
Cool beans! Thanks for the response, Swimpy! Very Happy
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:13 pm
No problem, Darlin'! How have you been?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 03:50 pm
Oh dear.....that could take forever! Go here: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70907&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=350 to read about the latest of my episodes!

I think I spelled Vonage (yes?) wrong. Everyone I've asked around here has only heard the name or seen their ads ~ haven't run across a single soul who uses it. Mom is actually the one interested in it. She keeps threatening to get rid of her land-line and I keep threatening to pop her if she does! So, she's looking for the least expensive service to keep me in good humor.

Could your son live without the service or is it really worth it?

Hugs to you, m'dear! Be good! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:22 pm
They only thing you have to be aware of is that you will not have phone service if there is a power outage. There were also issues with 911, but they may be resolved. You or Misti should check that out before you buy. One other good thing is that you can take it with you if you move. All you need it an internet connection and it will work your phone. You need a router. If you don't have one they will supply it. Then you hook it up to your phone. I had it hooked up to my cordless phone that has another handset. I don't think there is any other way to have an extension.

Now I'm off to read up on what's going on with Rae. Ta!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:30 pm
Oh my god, Rae. I just read the other thread. How is your back? Did you have the bone scan?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:42 pm
More good information! I wonder if Mom is keeping up with all of this? Thanks, Swimpy!

Yes, had the bone density test done yesterday afternoon. Results won't be in until next week. I really should start a thread about this.....Craven is going to kill me for spreading this every which way! Embarrassed

I'll let you know what happens as this progresses. Thanks for the concern! So nice to be worried about..... Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 06:26 pm
Rae, if your "Deprovera" thread is any indication, your little mispelling of "Vonnage" will get A2K a passel o' new members... :-)

Also worried about you! Take care.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 06:34 pm
I have vonage.

First thing is you need an internet service provider other than the phone company. I have cable.

Vonage has a way to register your phone number for 911 calls. The purpose is to have the address pop for 911 operator when you call it so they don't have to ask where you are. It might not be available everywhere yet.

If your power goes out you lose phone service. Most people use powered phones these days so if power goes out they still lose phone service. You can prevent lose of phone service during temporary outages by putting your router and phone on a battery backup. You will also lose phone service if you have an internet service interuption. It's not a big problem if you already have a cell phone. There have been a few times I have had to reboot my router and/or cable modem. It's not bad if you understand that can happen and are capable of fixing it.

I haven't noticed in problems with phone quality. My wife complained a few times when we first got it but not lately.

If you expect to be able to pick up the phone and use it every time then internet phone might not be right for you. It's not as reliable as the regular phone service but if you are willing to trade off price for some minor inconvenience it isn't bad. (We haven't had any problems for the last couple of months.)
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 08:19 pm
Thank you, thank you, thank you parados! Precisely the reason I asked the question! With the things you've mentioned I already know I will be suggesting Mom stick with a plain old land line. She would be quite capable of handling the small problems/interferences that accompany Vonage, but think the chance of aggravation would cause her to pass on it.

Thanks again! Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 08:33 pm
Changing subject yet again.....

Hiya Soz ~ great to see you! How is the sozlet?

Thanks ever so much for the misspelling reminder! The depo boo-boo overshadowed my misuse of 'allowed' and 'aloud' ~ I didn't think Craven would ever let that one die...gawd!

Now we have Vonnage. Probably won't be as big a hit as 'deprovera'. Hey though ~ after I see the doc next week, I may be able to start a thread about ahsteeopoorosis! :wink:

Sincerely though ~ thanks for the worry. It is appreciated. Take care of you, too! Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 08:59 pm
Sozlet's great, thanks!

And did you notice how I managed to misspell "mispelled"? Ah well. ;-)

These things take a while to wend their way through the hamster tubes, I bet we'll be getting a lot of traffic here sooner or later...

Take care!
0 Replies