Dog follows plane on runway

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:52 am
Dog follows plane on runway

A couple halted a packed jet just before take-off - after seeing their dog bounding alongside on the runway.

Terry and Susan Smith, both 58, were set to fly to a new life in Lanzarote when they spotted spaniel Poppy pursued by airport security staff.

They shouted for the pilot to halt the Boeing 767 and dashed out to help catch their pet at Manchester Airport, reports the Mirror.

Terry and Susan, from Blackburn, had paid £800 for Poppy and collie Pelayo to travel in an animal cage on the cargo deck.

But Poppy is believed to have chewed her way out of her crate as the plane was about to taxi to the runway.

The plane left 15 minutes late - without the Smiths, who paid £400 for later flights after Poppy was quarantined overnight.

Retired lorry driver Terry said: "We were in our seats ready for take-off and looking forward to our new life when we suddenly saw Poppy on the runway.

"We obviously had to get off the plane and it took us 10 minutes to catch her. She was terrified by the noise and wouldn't let anyone get near to her. I was really worried about her."

Pet transport firm Animal Airlines said it was the first time a dog had escaped in their 40 years of business.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 511 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 03:27 pm
So the dog chewed out of her crate and got out of the plane? Something doesn't sit right.
0 Replies