Look Who’s back

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:31 pm
Quote:
Tuesday, 6 June 2006

Leedsgig to launch The Who tour

Rock band The Who are to kick off their 2006 world tour by recreating their legendary Leeds University gig.

The band's Live At Leeds album was taped on the night of the concert in 1970 and is still considered one of the best-ever live albums.

Singer Roger Daltrey and guitarist Pete Townshend, the two surviving members of the original line-up, will take to the stage at Leeds University on 17 June.
Other venues on their tour include gigs in Germany, France, Spain and Austria.

'Vivid memories'

The 1970 gig came after The Who's triumphant appearance at Woodstock and included the last complete live performance of the rock opera Tommy.
The idea to recreate the gig came about after broadcaster Andy Kershaw - who was the entertainments secretary at the university in the early 1980s - approached the band's manager, Bill Curbishley.

Kershaw wanted to know if the band would unveil a plaque at the university commemorating the 1970 gig, and asked if they would also consider performing.
"Bill finished my sentence: 'They'll do it'. And so the idea of a concert began," he said.

Announcing the gig at Leeds University with university vice chancellor Professor Michael Arthur, Kershaw said: "[Daltrey] has very, very vivid memories of the original one and he's very, very excited about doing it again."

He added: "It was a kind of benchmark concert.
"It defined an era of big bands like The Who playing at college venues and also underpinned the importance of college venues and the live music circuit."
source

http://i5.tinypic.com/11wd66q.jpg
Q Magazine recently voted it the best-ever live album. The two surviving original group members - Roger Daltry ( pictured) and Pete Townshend - were both said to be looking forward to the June 17 event.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 704 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:38 am
Ah, the Who. We love 'em. Dang, I bet they're not coming here. Or are they?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:53 am
I just glimpsed them on tv last night in concert. It was new. Everybody's hair was white...except Roger's of course. I guess he says "If Mick can do it, so can I!"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:43 am
jespah wrote:
Dang, I bet they're not coming here. Or are they?

From the official Who website - who news
Quote:

25 May 2006
The Who Tour - European & US Update

With venue details still to be confirmed for the US part of the tour, the band will be gigging Stateside between 7th September - 10th October & 5th November - 5th December. More info on the venues as it comes in.
A couple of additional dates have been added to the European leg of the tour and the definitive schedule is now:

JUNE
17 Leeds University
18 Brighton Centre
25 Wireless Festival - Leeds
28 Ashton Gate Football Stadium, Bristol
30 Werchter Festival - Belgium

JULY
2 Hyde Park Calling Festival - London Hyde Park
3 Beaulieu Motor Museum - Hampshire, England
5 Liverpool Docks
6 Liverpool Docks
8 Oxygen Festival - Naas, Eire
9 T-in-the-Park Festival, Kinross, Scotland
11 Bonn Museumplatz, Germany
12 Berlin Wuhleide, Germany
14 Locarno Moon & Stars, Switzerland
15 Sporting Club, Monte Carlo
17 Vienne Theatre,Antique(near Lyon),France
18 Metz Amneville Arena, France
20 Paleo Festival, Nyon, Switzerland
22 Lovely Days Festival, St Polten, Austria
23 Munsterplatz, Ulm, Germany
26 Palau St Jordi, Barcelona, Spain
27 Sports Palace, Madrid, Spain
29 Pabellon Principe Felipe, Zaragoza, Spain
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:55 am
eoe wrote:
I just glimpsed them on tv last night in concert. It was new. Everybody's hair was white...except Roger's of course. I guess he says "If Mick can do it, so can I!"

As far as I know, the Leeds concert will be the first concert ... on June 17. (As well as they'll bring out their first new single since 35 years next month.)

Any idea, where this concert has been?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:20 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
eoe wrote:

As far as I know, the Leeds concert will be the first concert ... on June 17. (As well as they'll bring out their first new single since 35 years next month.)

Any idea, where this concert has been?

None. I was just flipping and stopped, actually checked to see what year the concert was filmed--2006--giggled at them for a few seconds, noted that Daltry still looked pretty good and his hair was blond but Townsend looked old and kind of slow, and then I turned away. Never was a big Who fan. I can't even say what channel it was on. Cable.
0 Replies