Weak 5.8GHz Phone Signal

Pitter

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 09:04 am
I recently bought a Uniden 5.8GHz twin hand set phone to use in my two story house. Unfortunatly the signal from the base unit downstairs doesn't seem to reach the second handset consistently. I don't know how the radio signal works and what it does or doesn't pass through but I wonder if the problem is that all the interior walls are masonry (brick). The distance the signal has to reach as the crow flys is only about three meters but it must pass through one masonry wall. My question is is there another phone system that has a stronger signal or one that passes through masonry more efficiently?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,891 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Michael S

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 11:23 am
You have a crappy phone, try to exchange it.

Technically speaking wireless communication doesn't like "masonry wall", in fact best results are in an empty field miles from anywhere on a clear day which is flat and even. Not how many use their phones.

Three meters is pathetic under any circumstances, I'm sure the company that made your phone would love you to belive that it is your fault, however crappy phones come off the production line all the time, even the same make might perform much better if you exchange it for another.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 01:08 pm
I think Michael_$ may have it right. Epinions.com rated this product with one and a half stars. This phone, to be blunt, sucks. Apparently nearly everything causes interference, and the manufacturer itself says to not place the phone in or near the kitchen.
Time for a new phone.
If you would like to see for yourself, the reviews are found here.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 05:51 pm
Thank you both. I am glad to know it's just a poor model and not tecnology limitation. Guess I'll have to chaulk it off as a costly mistake. My next question is where can I find accurate (not company written) phone comparison information/tests that include wireless distance functionality?
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 10:07 pm
Sounds like you have a lemon. I looked at the link, everyone is complaining about the same thing. I really think you are entitled to a refund.

I was making some caller ID phones a while back (not Uniden so don't blame me) 900Mhz and 2.4Ghz. One company thought go with the 2.4Ghz would be better (its a bigger number than 900Mhz must be better, right?) When one of the guys was testing it out around the house he found out that every time the microwave went on, reception became pure noise, turns out they had a lousy microwave with cracks and 2.4Ghz is on a harmonic of the microwave, so switched back to 900Mhz.

Not all digital phones perform better than analog, because it transmits at a higher frequency doesn't necessarily mean better performance. If it has more channels, doesn't mean a thing. One phone I made I gave 20 channels, they guy I designed it for said "can we have 100", so I said sure, you can have as many as you like, 20 was chosen to make sure each one would be quite seperate from another, you have 100 they will overlap each other. So it ended up with 100, people like to see big numbers, wow , my phone has 100 channels. To be honest I almost kept it exactly the same with 20 channels and just created a random number between 1 and 100 for the user to see on the handset.

Panasonic make good phones and so do GE. Can't talk too much about the 5.8Ghz since its been quite a few years since I was doing this. But 2.4Ghz is crowded, partly because it's about the only worldwide accepted frequency, and since manufactures dont like doing things twice for different markets, evrything and kitchen sink is transmiting 2.4Ghz.

The link above looks good, If you know the models at the store you bought your pone from, check them out there and then go back in asking for an exchange.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 10:24 pm
Perhaps the fillings in your teeth are conducive to radio waves and they are interfering with the telehhone frequency. Check with your dentist.

Just thought I'd add an opposing theory :wink:
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 12:34 pm
Pitter wrote:
Thank you both. I am glad to know it's just a poor model and not tecnology limitation. Guess I'll have to chaulk it off as a costly mistake. My next question is where can I find accurate (not company written) phone comparison information/tests that include wireless distance functionality?

Have you searched Consumer Reports?
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 12:38 pm
You can also put whatever model of phone you are thinking about getting into Epinions.com and see what real users have had to say about it.
Just remember that if a model gets both good and bad reviews, you should read as many as possible, since it may not be a bad product, just not right for certain people.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 05:50 am
I did search consumer reports but there was no mention of signal stength between base units.

Good to know about Epinions thanks.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 06:55 am
You're welcome. I hope you find a model that doesn't suck. Very Happy
0 Replies