I thought I'd heard everything

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 01:19 pm
I thought I'd heard everything. I haven't. I'm starting to wonder as many do if I want to read the paper or in this case check news online. The shock of suddenly having incorrect or completely unknown information thrust in front of you causes grave concerns. Read on.

Report: U.K. Doctors Took 20,000 Brains
Mon May 12, 3:39 PM ET Add Health - AP to My Yahoo!

By JILL LAWLESS, Associated Press Writer

LONDON - The brains of at least 20,000 people, many of them depressed or mentally ill when they died, were removed without their families' consent over a 30-year period, a senior government doctor reported Monday.

Some brains were removed to help diagnose cause of death, while others were collected for neuropsychiatric research, Dr. Jeremy Metters, Her Majesty's Inspector of Anatomy, said in a report that followed an 18-month investigation.

In one case, a hospital mortician was paid $16 for each brain he provided for research. In another, more than 200 brains were kept for a Manchester University research project that studied the brains of people who had suffered from mental illness and those of healthy "controls" for comparison.

Removing organs without families' permission was explicitly outlawed in 1999. A law passed in 1961 said organs should only be taken from corpses if relatives did not object, but Metters said permission often was not sought.

Metters said many of those involved in retaining organs didn't know they were breaking the law.

"There was a widespread belief that organ and tissue retention was in the 'public interest' and that retention was lawful because the post mortem was carried out for the coroner," he wrote.

The 20,000 figure may be far lower than the actual number of brains taken. It includes only brains still held by hospitals and universities in England, and Metters said many more could have been examined and destroyed.

The government ordered the investigation after a woman learned her husband's brain had been removed without her permission when he committed suicide in 1987. The couple's Jewish faith decrees a person must be buried intact.

Elaine Isaacs said the secrecy surrounding the case of her husband, Cyril, was "nothing short of collusion," and she expected authorities to take action against those responsible.

"I'm very, very angry about being here today," said Isaacs, who attended the launch of the report. "I've had to fight so hard to get this whole situation recognized."

"Our rights were ignored in every sense," she said.

The government's chief medical officer, Sir Liam Donaldson, said removing organs or tissues at post mortem examination without lawful authority "is an affront to families who have lost a loved one."

Metters made 34 recommendations, including greater openness by those involved in post mortems. He said public confidence for the lawful removal of organs and study of tissue must be restored.

"There is some research, important research, which cannot be carried out in any other way than by research on the brain," he said. "It would be a tragedy if my report was to undermine lawful post mortem research that has the full consent of relatives."

But representatives of mental health organizations said they feared the report had done exactly that.

Marjorie Wallace, chief executive of the mental health group SANE, said "the emotion surrounding this and previous inquiries has already almost killed post-mortem research into illnesses such as schizophrenia and depression.

"There is an acute shortage of brain tissue and many of those carrying out the research feel so stigmatized that they have ceased investigations."

In Yahoo! Health

SARS:
What You Need To Know

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More from Yahoo! Health:
• How it spreads
• Prevention
• The cause

The removal of organs without consent was outlawed after it was discovered that 3,500 organs from babies and children had been retained by the Royal Liverpool Children's Hospital in northwest England without the parents' knowledge.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,136 • Replies: 5
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 02:15 pm
I find it odd that the woman states that her rights were ignored. How so? Interesting.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 02:17 pm
Well, it is not the most weird and/or scary incidence of the organs removal. I do not remember where did I read this, but in early '90s in some Eastern European country (presumably, in Romania) a gang operated that forcefully dismembered living people for selling their organs for transplantation needs. They earned much money, but they were so greedy that they did not even anesthetize their victims in order not to spend money for anesthetics.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 02:23 pm
Is there anything out there that indicates what kind of results, if any, that he got from his research?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 03:58 pm
Hmmm - there has been a similar kerfuffle here about organs/tissue taken from children's bodies - or entire bodies in the case of still-births (who used to be "disposed of" in the old days - in the belief that the mother/family would be better not having anything to do with the remains) over many decades by the major children's hospital here.

A process was organised for restoring bits and pieces to families - some of whom were deeply emotionally distressed by the whole thing.

I am sure bits of my sister are there - but frankly I don't give a damn - I don't think the body parts are important when you are dead - and I am happy if research is furthered, though I can understand people being annoyed by the arrogance and distressed - but I cannot work up any head of steam over it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 04:05 pm
But are you really trying, Deb? (Outside of a vague morbid curiosity, I cannot either.)
0 Replies