ARCTIC EXPOLRATION : A TREASURE TROVE OF SCIENTIFIC DATA

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 10:05 am
just came cross the website PHYSORG.COM for the first time .
it has a very interesting report on the scientific arctic explorations carried out during 2004 . a group of scientists aboard icebreakers sailed through the arctic and took many drillcore samples during that exploration . the first findings will now be puplished in the magazine NATURE .
scientists hope this will give them an insight into climate changes that took place in the past and might help them in making predictions of future climate changes .
of course , i don't have the scientific training or insight to understand all the detailed discoveries and predictions fully , but i think it's great that scientists are able to add to our knowledge of climate change .
hbg

from the article :
"A treasure trove of scientific data is revealing detailed information about conditions of subtropical warmth at the North Pole about 55 million years ago while also providing a window into the future, when greenhouse gases are expected to reach the same levels that caused Earth's ancient heat wave. "

...SOURCE...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 905 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 10:07 am
Thanks for posting this site, hamburger. I had heard of these discoveries on the news and was curious for more info.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 08:19 pm
65 mya is the Cretacius Period when the Dinosaurs were at the end of their rule. Causes of their demise were conjectured to be a huge asteroid impact in the Gulf of Mexico. It was so large that it could have ruptured the earth's crust to release molten lava and the asteroid could have been diverted by the iron core in the earth's interior and the pressurized lava may have exited thru the Deccan plateaux in India. This could have resulted in global warming with all gases released. There might have been huge global fires which may have resulted in excess carbon dioxide.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 11:35 am
just read another interesting article that might fit into this thread .
it deals with "the earth's earliest form of life" .
a/t to the article , a "2.45-billion-year-old rock" -WOW is all i can say , and i thought i was old ! - has been found in northern ontario .
the claim is that it is evidence of the earliest form of life from which everything - from plankton to human beings - developed .
sounds pretty fascinating !
i've seen plenty of old rocks in northern ontario , diidn't know they were that old !
(is that why i am being called "stone deaf" on occasion ?).
hbg

...2.45 billion-year-old rock found in northern-ontario...
0 Replies